Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Flint transfer offer  (Read 7289 times)
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 07:49:44 »

Martin Keown, Terry Butcher, Per Mertesacker, Steve Bruce, Gary Pallister suggest being a bit tardy isn't the end of the world for Flint.Because someome says it once, without any actual analysis of how a centre back can be a success, doesn't make it true.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 09:45:50 »

not sure that's relevant to the argument he did well against wigan, conversely to base a career on doing well against a rubbish team is a bit silly also

My Wigan point was in response to StefPol's point that he will never make it at this or a higher level against opponents who play football. Wigan do this and despite not being great in the Prem are still two leagues higher than us.

I disagree, with you first comment. To have a player that is not fleet of foot at the back, cumbersome against tricky players and who's distribution is suspect in the championship spells car crash. Besides all that, spend long spells unavailable due to suspension is not much good to the team selection possibilities.

A central defenders job is to defend! The clue is there somewhere. Was Oooo Shaun Taylor's distribution much better? (Sorry Shaun!) Flint is usually quick enough and long legged enough to recover against so called smaller trickier opponents anyway.

Granted the 2 sendings off were frustrating but these were for diving in (which as Paolo says he needs to learn from) and not really because he got skinned particulary. He didn't get sent off in the whole of last season i don't think and we regularly played against higher league opposition so not sure that argument holds much credence.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 09:47:34 »

he did even better against Maccesfield this season.

Ummmmm. We lost 1-0 to a 30 yarder did we not?
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 09:49:41 »

He didn't deserve that red, either

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 09:53:06 »

He didn't deserve that red, either

I didn't think so either. Personally thought he was unlucky with both reds this season but thought that might seem a bit rose tinted.
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 09:59:34 »

While we were finding our feet at the back at the start of last season (Lanzano! Comazzi!) thought he was a rock and probably our best player through the first 6 games. Remains to be seen if he can develop his game enough to cut it at Championship level, but still young and has the ability to be a top centre back at this level I think. Would hope we would try hard to keep him here.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 10:28:41 »

Ummmmm. We lost 1-0 to a 30 yarder did we not?

2-0 wasn't it? N.Thompson scored a last minute own goal if I recall correctly?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #37 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 10:30:22 »

A central defenders job is to defend! The clue is there somewhere. Was Oooo Shaun Taylor's distribution much better? (Sorry Shaun!) Flint is usually quick enough and long legged enough to recover against so called smaller trickier opponents anyway.

I spoke to Glenn at the time when I worked for the club, he told me that Taylor was probably the worst passer of a ball he had ever seen but Glenn himself put in many hours of ball control and passing training with him and TBF at the end of his time with Swindon you have to say that Shaun was a very accomplished passer fo the ball.

All his job was to win the ball in the air or the ground and pass to a red shirt. Much as Pallister, Hansen, Thompson or Bruce used to do.

Not every player can be a Beckenbauer or Calderwood but the problem comes when they think they are that good and try to take on players when they should just pass to a red shirt.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 10:34:35 »

I spoke to Glenn at the time when I worked for the club, he told me that Taylor was probably the worst passer of a ball he had ever seen but Glenn himself put in many hours of ball control and passing training with him and TBF at the end of his time with Swindon you have to say that Shaun was a very accomplished passer fo the ball.

All his job was to win the ball in the air or the ground and pass to a red shirt. Much as Pallister, Hansen, Thompson or Bruce used to do.

Not every player can be a Beckenbauer or Calderwood but the problem comes when they think they are that good and try to take on players when they should just pass to a red shirt.

I wasn't taking Shaun's name in vain. A true legend! Just using him to support my argument. Very interesting though Pete, hadn't realised he was THAT bad to be honest. Glenn no doubt had higher standards on that score than most mind.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #39 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 10:35:53 »

I wasn't taking Shaun's name in vain. A true legend! Just using him to support my argument.
Oh no I appreciate that, but what I was saying is that every player can improve but some THINK they are better than they are.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 10:36:30 »

Oh no I appreciate that, but what I was saying is that every player can improve but some THINK they are better than they are.

Very true.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #41 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 11:58:56 »

Louis Thompson on his debut.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 12:01:18 »

Shaun Taylor had a Gascoigne esq run through the heart of Man Utd in the game at home, before being upended on approach to the box (this is how I remember it, he could have been fouled a little further out in reality).
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 12:10:23 »

Met Shaun a couple of years back in The Hop Hole in Bath, tentatively approached him as I wasn't completely sure it was him, totally sound guy. He has very fond memories of his time here, especially the Tranmere game. True legend.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 12:15:19 »

Louis Thompson on his debut.

Oh yeah, my bad. Hardly an example of Flint struggling though is it Stef?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: