Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: End of our fans complacent era?  (Read 7584 times)
Spencer_White

« on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 10:17:39 »

Just to say how delighted I was to see the DRS fans getting out of their seats, in their hundreds to have a go at Walsalls player Gray yesterday. He looked a good player, but a hot head, and when he made a few naughty challenges the crowd got out of their seats, which created the pressure whereby he was either going to get sent off or subbed off. In plenty of other games he would have been left alone by our crowd to plunder our right side.

I left the South stand because I could not stand any longer the silence and indifference from our fans in that stand.

Our support from 2008 up until now has been the worst vocal support I can ever remmember from our fans, sometimes dismal. Its pretty clear that our fans became very complacent as soon as the threat of financial liquidation was removed. I think a lot of fans thought we would never get relegated with such a rich chairman.

Next season in League 2 I do think our fans can get back to what we were. Proper support. The fans who will not renew will be mainly the 'fairweather filler' fammily fans that have come in since Fitton took over and it should strip us back to the core support. I also think its time that our older fans led the way in terms of the vocal support, because the younger fans dont seem to have the timing or the determination for it.

At times I was disgusted with our support last season, we were utterly spoilt. Well not anymore! I couldnt believe the reaction of our fans at Wycombe, 2-2 with 10 minutes to go, a chance of going 2 points clear in second place with 2 games to play. 90% stayed in their seats, couldnt be bothered. Compare that to the mid week game under Dennis Wise 2006, when our fans were absolutely superb.

Our away support in the late 90s when we were utterly dire on the pich gave me the determination and inspiration to make sure I was a Swindon fan for life. We need to inspire our younger fans now.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 10:41:18 »

Just to say how delighted I was to see the DRS fans getting out of their seats, in their hundreds to have a go at Walsalls player Gray yesterday. He looked a good player, but a hot head, and when he made a few naughty challenges the crowd got out of their seats, which created the pressure whereby he was either going to get sent off or subbed off. In plenty of other games he would have been left alone by our crowd to plunder our right side.

I left the South stand because I could not stand any longer the silence and indifference from our fans in that stand.

Our support from 2008 up until now has been the worst vocal support I can ever remmember from our fans, sometimes dismal. Its pretty clear that our fans became very complacent as soon as the threat of financial liquidation was removed. I think a lot of fans thought we would never get relegated with such a rich chairman.

Next season in League 2 I do think our fans can get back to what we were. Proper support. The fans who will not renew will be mainly the 'fairweather filler' fammily fans that have come in since Fitton took over and it should strip us back to the core support. I also think its time that our older fans led the way in terms of the vocal support, because the younger fans dont seem to have the timing or the determination for it.

At times I was disgusted with our support last season, we were utterly spoilt. Well not anymore! I couldnt believe the reaction of our fans at Wycombe, 2-2 with 10 minutes to go, a chance of going 2 points clear in second place with 2 games to play. 90% stayed in their seats, couldnt be bothered. Compare that to the mid week game under Dennis Wise 2006, when our fans were absolutely superb.

Our away support in the late 90s when we were utterly dire on the pich gave me the determination and inspiration to make sure I was a Swindon fan for life. We need to inspire our younger fans now.

Interesting stuff as usual Spence...I'd put some of this down to the economic recession, think people generally are more miserable since the Bankers and their friends screwed the rest of us over.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 10:46:50 »

Spencer....i got a lot of time for you,your passion for the club shines through...like you for that.

Everyone is different,......for what it is worth i think the fans at this club have been a credit....in numbers and support....our away support is second to none and the home fans have had some dire stuff to watch this season so not unsuprisingly been muted in many matches.
10,400 yesterday was brilliant support.......we wasn't getting that in the days of Ardilles etc.
Everyone isn't like you Spence.....some people see football as an entertainement not as a passion(like you)so paying big bucks and watching rubbish.....then maybe queing ten mins in the Town End for a hot pie,a drink or a burger to be told there was none or that they had to defrost the rolls.....it dosn't lend to a crowd getting to exited.
I dont class myself as a fairweather fan.....but i will not be getting a new season ticket next season....i cannot afford it and i like away matches as well.....so i will pick and choose more next season.......three matches in a week is something i and many others simply cannot afford....as Reg says fans expect more for there money in times such as these.

To be fair in my opinion it has been the passion and the support that has kept me going to watch the Town for many seasons now,many times i have thought about spending my time and money on other things.....to be fair the team on the pitch or the club itself hasn't really inspired me to keep taking  my ass all over the country and to the County Ground for many years.........it has been the Town fans that have done that.

Watch some Premiership matches and you can hear a pin drop at times......football has changed,for many it is akin to watching a film or having a meal,it is a different kind of entertainment these days for many.
And to be fair to those people there really isn't a lot to shout about at football a lot of the time.

Spencer_White

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 11:06:06 »

I dont know about the Premiership games. Most of the clubs now take brilliant away followings, thousands who stand up all game. Yes, the home support has gone terminally down hill at every ground in the country due to cuntish stewarding and the threat of taking away season tickets. But away from home the Prem fans seem to break out. Besides which, the football they are watching is much more exciting, so you are guaranteed those ooohs and aahs, the reaction of the crowd.

I know everyone isnt like me. But I do know there are 2 types of fans. The fans on the revolving door, who come for a while and then fall away, replaced by other fans, and there are the fans for life. I know one thing though, if you get involved when your team are losing and times are tough, then you are much more likely to stay a fan for life. Its the games like Bristol City friday night at home after 7 straight losses that are sometimes the most satisfying.

The era of ever rising ticket prices seems to have ended and Chairmen up and down the Football League seem to have realised they were only damaging their own product long term with the prices. I remember a time 8 or so years ago when South stand tickets were £23 on the day, Season tickets were about £420 and fans still moaned about £40 for replica shirts!!!! Clueless.
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 11:26:52 by Spencer_White » Logged
Spencer_White

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 11:20:31 »

Interesting stuff as usual Spence...I'd put some of this down to the economic recession, think people generally are more miserable since the Bankers and their friends screwed the rest of us over.

I dont know, if you spend money to go away when you dont have it, then surely you would more apprieciative and excited about the product? Not less. Especially when the product was extremely good. Good team, exciting game, right in the mix at the top of the table.

Ive been to Adams Park 8 times and all things considered that was by far the worst support weve had at Wycombe in all those games (didnt go the JPT game). Sept 06, at least 1500 fans stood up all game. FAC 2003, we lost 4-1 so we made up hillarious songs about Tony Adams all game. This female Wycombe supporter rang up 606 and broke down regarding our incessant taunting. Nov 2002, great comeback, got chucked out with about 50 others for running on the pitch in the rain. April 2001, relegation battle, all stood up, non stop noise from our fans, loud as fuck.

Numbers = Vanity. Vocal support = Sanity.

Dont even fucking mention Wembley.  
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 11:28:11 by Spencer_White » Logged
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 12:08:38 »

Really Reg? You really believe that? I don't think that's true at all. The media wants us to believe that we should be going around with long faces and on the point of slashing our wrists. That is true. But I don't think that's remotely close to reality.  Put it this way. It's not true of me or one single person I know. The fact is that a lot of people have hardly been affected at all by the recession. As ususal, the 24 hour, blanket coverage media that we have now, blows everything out of all proportion.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 12:12:44 »

That's good for you OST.

But a hell of a lot of people HAVE been affected by the recession. Myself included. I don't need the media to tell me I have been struggling for the last 18 months and I have no doubt that countless others, and many on here, will feel the same way.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 12:29:21 »

That's good for you OST.

But a hell of a lot of people HAVE been affected by the recession. Myself included. I don't need the media to tell me I have been struggling for the last 18 months and I have no doubt that countless others, and many on here, will feel the same way.

I didn't say no one has been affected and I'm sorry that you have been. I am just saying the media are trying to make it sound worse than it is. And as you say, if you have been affected, you don't want to be constantly reminded about. But the point is, are you less likely to make a noise at a football ground  than you were pre-recession??
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 12:39:15 »

The "complacent era" seems more epidemic of football in general than to Swindon specifically. Plenty of clubs seem to be the same.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 12:50:43 »

Really Reg? You really believe that? I don't think that's true at all. The media wants us to believe that we should be going around with long faces and on the point of slashing our wrists. That is true. But I don't think that's remotely close to reality.  Put it this way. It's not true of me or one single person I know. The fact is that a lot of people have hardly been affected at all by the recession. As ususal, the 24 hour, blanket coverage media that we have now, blows everything out of all proportion.

I'm also including in this nights out etc....back in say the mid 00's, you could go down town on a Thursday night, and the pubs bars etc, would be busy, plenty of people having a good time in their own way....now it's like a ghost town.

Think I'd pin it down to about 2 years ago exactly when Honda shut down....kind of underlined Swindon going from boom to bust....
fish head

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 12:55:47 »

I agree with your comments Spencer, good to see the DRS show their disgust at Gray, i hate watching matches with no atmosphere. I hope your right that in League 2 our support returns to how it was. You dont need massive attendences to create a good atmosphere.

Even where i am in the Town End just to the left of the goal has got a lot quieter from the last few seasons (i know the poor season has'nt helped) a lot less people are standing there as well so when i renew my season ticket ill be moving along towards the DRS in the hope of more support and less moaning.

After last season i was looking forward to Brenford away in April but because 2011 has been so poor i cant see us having good numbers there making much noise unless in the unlikely event we get a few wins in before.
Gazza's Fat Mate
Morality Robocop

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 13:14:05 »

then maybe queing ten mins in the Town End for a hot pie,a drink or a burger to be told there was none or that they had to defrost the rolls.....it dosn't lend to a crowd getting to exited.
[/quote]

I can't belive that Spence White talks about passion and his love of town and you comment on having to que for a burger etc. It is people moaning about shitty things like this rather than supporting the team that make the county ground so sterlie.

Hopefully fair weather burger reviewers like yourgood self won't be around next year. Well you will but only when we are top of the table!

As for the mention of football as a product that does my head in. Football is not a product it is a passion. I don't follow town to watch good football no I follow town becuase they are my passion, my team, my love affair.

Ash - "GFM Mate your like like Marmite you Love it or Hate it"
Christian Roberts " I fucking hate Marmite"
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 13:15:43 »

The support was dissapointing yesterday considering the numbers. Shame really because the team really need people to get behind them. There were a few chants but it all drifted away quickly. I think the big problem is that the team are not giving anything back with their lack of drive and creativity. I excpected it to be buzzing yesterday but it's almost as if everyone has simply given up now.
Morgan Freeman

People enjoy the sound of my voice

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 13:25:27 »

There were a few chants but it all drifted away quickly. I think the big problem is that the team are not giving anything back with their lack of drive and creativity.

The team did play a big part in this. A prime example was around half way through the second half when Grella had just missed a chance, we had loads of momentum and a throw in right in the corner with the town end singing the usual "Come On You Reeeds". Then guess what happened? Straight from the throw in one of our players miss controlled it and it went straight back our for a throw for Walsall. Just like that the atmosphere and momentum disappeared.
Gazza's Fat Mate
Morality Robocop

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, March 6, 2011, 13:40:16 »

The team did play a big part in this. A prime example was around half way through the second half when Grella had just missed a chance, we had loads of momentum and a throw in right in the corner with the town end singing the usual "Come On You Reeeds". Then guess what happened? Straight from the throw in one of our players miss controlled it and it went straight back our for a throw for Walsall. Just like that the atmosphere and momentum disappeared.

Well when the shit happens the fans need to step up and rasie the players with a few chants.

Look what happens when other teams score agasint us. Most clubs fans have no answer and just sit down and wallow in saddes for abit. Where as what do we do.......FUCK OFF!

Ash - "GFM Mate your like like Marmite you Love it or Hate it"
Christian Roberts " I fucking hate Marmite"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: