Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gasheads are no saints  (Read 15184 times)
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Monday, September 9, 2013, 17:45:53 »

Indeed, I'll be nipping over to the Ashmolean, for the Henry Moore/Francis Bacon exhibition in the next couple of weeks.

Don't tell KR that the Bodleian has a massive storage facility over at South Marston....he'll go and torch the place.

The Henry Moore exhibition is not worth it, full of holes
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Monday, September 9, 2013, 17:52:08 »

I was born in Oxford, lived in Blackbird Leys untill I was 5

Yet I probably hate them even more than the Duke.

Got no problem with other football fans at all, but wish great harm on anyone of the yellow persuasion (and I have to say, I have implemented some harm on them myself, but not for quite a few years as I am an old codger now)
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Monday, September 9, 2013, 19:49:29 »

I went to Wembley in 2007? to watch rovers v Shrewsbury in the po final, went with a rovers supporting workmate. He wore the shirt. I was stood with him at Swindon station feeling uncomfortable  Embarrassed

He's a great bloke, a real family man who enjoys the football.

I was at that game with a Shrewsbury supporting mate in the blue and amber end of Wembley.

I wanted Shrews' to get utterly humiliated. I recall that they took an early lead and then the Wurzels turned the game on its head and completely ran the show, Igoe scoring with a long range effort that trickled over the line in the last minute to put the outcome beyond doubt. Though I dislike Rovers as much as the next Swindon fan, I utterly loathe those sheep worriers, so inwardly I was ecstatic seeing their fans up close morosely trudging away defeated. Then I went and saw them do it all over again in the play off final 2 years later against the Gypos, that occasion losing against an injury time winner from a wrongly awarded corner  Yes 3 teams I despise, but one much much more.

My hatred of Screwsbury FC is only surpassed by that which I feel towards the yellow scum, but only just Cool

In fairness to the Gas fans they created more noise than any other support I've seen at Wembley.
« Last Edit: Monday, September 9, 2013, 20:48:43 by Dostoyevsky » Logged
Baggins

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Monday, September 9, 2013, 21:22:02 »

I live a 15 minute walk away and go to Ashton Gate quite a bit. The people I go with know I support Swindon, the people they sit with know I support Swindon. They'll ask me during the game how Swindon are doing. No big deal. When Town play at Ashton Gate, I'm in the away end hoping for nothing else other than a Swindon win.

I also wander up to Rovers occasionally, a very timid (dare I say it, family club) atmosphere outside of rivalries. Essentially what I'm saying is that it's dull.

Back in the day, people in cities with two or more clubs often watched whoever was at home... I don't think attending football matches that involve other teams is a trait of 'modern football'.

That's very true.  My Granddad lived in Bristol all his life.  He and my uncles went to football every week.  One week Rovers, the next week City.  This may not fit the "history" that some want to cling to in order to justify some thinly veiled thuggery, but my uncles assure me it was very common when they were growing up (1960s). 

And as for trying not to set foot in Oxfordshire - that is just strange, and does smack a bit of "my Swindon supporting dick is bigger than your Swindon supporting dick". 
jonah

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Monday, September 9, 2013, 21:43:34 »

Interesting thread!

I have to admit to going to matches with mates who support other teams and that includes Cheltenham (many years ago now!) and Chelsea (pre-glory days). Many of my favourite live football memories have involved non-STFC matches. However, as much as I enjoy watching and experiencing live football, the highs and lows you get from watching your own team - all that emotional attachment that comes with supporting your team cannot be replicated as a neutral.

ps I also lived in Oxford for 5 years and loved the city - I did wear my Swindon top out occasionally and on occasion (and when drunk) would sing Swindon songs down Cornmarket (the folly of youth)...

Wiltshire boy born and bred - long in arm thick in 'ead.......
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Monday, September 9, 2013, 22:01:50 »

That's very true.  My Granddad lived in Bristol all his life.  He and my uncles went to football every week.  One week Rovers, the next week City.  This may not fit the "history" that some want to cling to in order to justify some thinly veiled thuggery, but my uncles assure me it was very common when they were growing up (1960s). 
When living in Nottingham as child I was taken either to watch Forest or County on a Saturday depending who was home, my older relations were mixed in their support but they would still often all go together.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 07:33:44 »

My uncle used to do the same. Although my father and step-grandfather only used to go with him to watch Rovers.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 09:10:15 »

That's very true.  My Granddad lived in Bristol all his life.  He and my uncles went to football every week.  One week Rovers, the next week City.  This may not fit the "history" that some want to cling to in order to justify some thinly veiled thuggery, but my uncles assure me it was very common when they were growing up (1960s).

When living in Nottingham as child I was taken either to watch Forest or County on a Saturday depending who was home, my older relations were mixed in their support but they would still often all go together.

More locally, it used to be the case before Oxford United were founded (early 1960s?) that buses would run from Oxford each week to the nearest local League game.  One week they would run to Swindon, the next to Reading.  I was told this by an old fella from Oxford years ago and maybe goes some way to explain why there are still pockets of support for us and Reading in the Oxford area itself.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 18:15:29 »

More locally, it used to be the case before Oxford United were founded (early 1960s?) that buses would run from Oxford each week to the nearest local League game.  One week they would run to Swindon, the next to Reading.  I was told this by an old fella from Oxford years ago and maybe goes some way to explain why there are still pockets of support for us and Reading in the Oxford area itself.
That's interesting. When I lived near Bicester I noticed that there was quite a bit of support for Swindon in the area. Always struck me as a bit odd.

It's All Good..............
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 21:50:54 »

When I first came down south and just into my teens I used to catch the coach to Bristol broadmead and onto Ashton gate along with other lads from the area and shoppers Smiley My highlight was when Forest played City in the old 1st division and I was classed a rebel amongst my mates for going in with the Forest fans. Realised after Then That a coach came up to Swindon so suppose if I didn't have the means of getting to Swindon I may of followed City instead. I wasnt brought up to hate Oxford of any of the Bristol sides but now rate City and especially Rovers as rivals more than any other teams we play.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #70 on: Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 22:01:09 »

Only ever been to Scumland when Town were there, when my mother in law was in John Radcliffe or my daughter needed treatment there. Other than that won't go there - not interested. When I go there with Town I don't spend any money, make no eye contact with them and don't speak to any of them.
I can't see me going there as a "neutral".
Brizzle is a different matter. I've been to both as a neutral but in the away ends with mates who supported the opposition. I had no problems supporting the opposition. 
Crispy
Pink Jumper For Goalpost

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 07:44:22 »

Been to watch Chelsea & Southampton with friends and family who support the two in the past, even Saints in league 1. But when they played Swindon it was a totally different story, strictly Town that day. Was a lovely car journey home after Austin rounded Davis and slotted home infront of us... Great day.  Beers The 3-1? Or 3-0? JPT game was fun too, all though not sure how many TEF'ers were there... Up steps Sir Vince with a brace.

That last game there though, 4-1? 4-0? That wasn't too special...  Smug Fuck Off

They've got muslamic rayguns, muslamic rayguns..
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 08:03:20 »

Been to watch Chelsea & Southampton with friends and family who support the two in the past, even Saints in league 1. But when they played Swindon it was a totally different story, strictly Town that day. Was a lovely car journey home after Austin rounded Davis and slotted home infront of us... Great day.  Beers The 3-1? Or 3-0? JPT game was fun too, all though not sure how many TEF'ers were there... Up steps Sir Vince with a brace.

That last game there though, 4-1? 4-0? That wasn't too special...  Smug Fuck Off

I was there, his first was quality with a cracking ball in from Charlie, I'm almost certain his 2nd was from a ridiculously quick run and interception from Alan O'Brien? A little tap in...

The one where Charlie rounding Davis was an amazing game...so edgy...the 4-1, not so good....although, Ritchie scored our goal, ex-Pompey v Saints, that was sweeeet..

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: