Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: McNamee  (Read 10148 times)
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 12:54:43 »

Part of the problem that McNamee has is that we are so slow to get the ball to him  (it's part of a general problem in our game). It's easy to double up on him when the ball starts at Smith then goes through Nalis to Peacock and Timlin before it arrives at him. That way he has to check his run and come from deeper taking on two markers in the process. If we had a player who could hit a thirty yard pass with any accuracy - and speed-  then he would find it much easier to get a cross in and less step-overs are needed.

Also he needs better targets in the box. Part of the problem against Brighton was that Peacock, when he gets into the box, plays as a third forward, not as a midfielder. So instead of providing an option at the back of the box - and makes himself harder to mark - he gets into a narrow three with Cox and Sturrock/Painter/Corr. Last season Easton got a number of goals - from Manatee's crosses particularly - arriving late precisely because he wasn't running in with the forwards.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 12:57:51 »

Good post Orange!!  Agree with all of that.  I think to lay all the blame at MacNamee's feet is a little short sighted.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 13:00:13 »

Last year he had Comminges running around the outside of him, this year he doesn't. Timlin isn't that mobile so maybe he can't be arsed getting up and down. Or maybe he's been told not to.

Having said all that, more often than not he'll still get a ball in, or at least win us a corner.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 13:12:08 »

I miss Miguel Sad

I want him back Sad
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 13:42:55 »

Theres no-one in the box half the time anyway. Paynter/corr might be in their, cox will be trying to run in after coming far too deep and the center mids stop as soon as the reach the edge of the area. There's little point in a first time cross when your trying to pick out one man out of 5

Things get better but they never get good
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 13:59:43 »

I really don't understand this sudden backlash against MacNamee.  He is without doubt a match winner, can't remember to many people slagging off Mark Walters when he used to do his step overs.

I dont think you can really compare the two. McNamee really isnt in the class was Mark Walters.

The other teams know what McNamee is about and we dont have the players that can actually pass the ball to him in the first place. Our striker drop too deep and our midfielders dont get forward enough so when he does cross it in there is usually no one in there anyway.

His crosses has been very poor this season and as others have said sometimes he just needs to whip it in rather than doing all the step overs.

Again, like alot of our team he plays well in fits and spells but I dont think hes had a really good game since QPR in the cup.

I personally wouldnt have him in the starting 11 right now. JPM is the on form winger at this moment in time and when he wasnt he got shit loads of stick (for slightly different reasons) so I dont see why we cant question McNamee.

ps. Jan only one A in McNamee
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 14:11:55 »

Fair points DV, especially about the additional "a".  My Mark Walters comparison, as you probably know, was not intended as a direct comparison, if you know what I mean, was more of an off the cuff remark, than a fully blown point.

I do disagree that his crosses have been "poor" this season though, just don't think as a team we have reacted well enough to Macca getting the ball.

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 14:17:47 »

mcnamee is a luxury player.great when the going is good,not so when we are struggling like now.as already mentioned,he needs pin point passes to his feet to then get at the right back.alot of the time he has a 50/50 ball aimed in his direction 6ft in the air.he's never going to win the ball in that situation.
flammableBen

« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 14:20:11 »

Reminds me of the Classic Fresh Prince episode in Series 1, "Courting Disaster". Where will joins the basketball team and the coach's tactics basically come down to "pass it to Will". Carlton gets jealous.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 14:43:48 »

Top of the assists though DV,and countless other crosses that should have led to goals.The last 2 home games spring to mind immediately

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 15:10:16 »

I make 4 of his 5 from the first two games of the season.

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 15:10:59 »

wouldn't jp have more assists?and paynter maybe?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 15:14:40 »

McNamee 3 league 2 cups 5 total
Cox 4 league 4 total
Paynter 4 league 4 total
JPM 3 leagu 3 total
Peacock 2 league 2 total
J.Smith 1 league 1 total
Easton 1 league 1 total
Morrison 1 league 1 total

Not sure how they work out assits because we must have scored more goals than that?
adje

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 17:38:11 »

I spose some goals,like JPM against Yeovil aren't really assisted

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 18:20:38 »

I spose some goals,like JPM against Yeovil aren't really assisted

And Timlin's against Yeovil as well.

And penalties.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: