Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lee Holmes signs for Bradford  (Read 3221 times)
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, August 2, 2006, 13:19:50 »

Colin Todd is set to sign Derby County duo Lee Holmes and Nathan Doyle.

The Rams pair arrive at the Bradford & Bingley Stadium on Wednesday to sign three-month loan deals to help ease Todd's headache ahead of the kick off at Nottingham Forest on Saturday.

The City boss had been frustrated in his desperate search for talent to bolster a paper-thin squad but his hard efforts and persistence have now paid off.

Left winger Holmes and right-back/midfielder Doyle will train for the first time on Thursday and come straight into his plans for Saturday's opening Coca-Cola Football League One fixture at the City Ground.

Talking to the Telegraph & Argus Colin Todd said: Lee Holmes will give us the natural left-sided wing play that we are looking for.

"He's got great ability and played about 20 games for Derby last season, while when he was at Swindon on loan he did extremely well against us.

"Holmes is the one we've been chasing for a while but Nathan Doyle's got some talent as well and played Championship football in the first team at Derby also."

nathan doyle
Nathan Doyle
Lively Holmes shot to fame on Boxing Day 2002 when he became Derby's youngest ever player, debuting at just 15-years-old.

The tricky wideman racked up another accolade two weeks later, becoming the youngest-ever footballer in FA Cup history but struggled to make a regular impact at Pride Park.

However, a loan spell at Swindon in 2004/05 greatly benefited his development. He won England U19 honours and was heavily involved at Derby last season, having signed a two-year extension.

County boss Billy davies is now willing to let Holmes, 19, out on loan again though and City have seen off plenty of interest to bring him to Valley Parade.

Doyle, also 19, is less experienced having made four Championship appearances last term before finihsing off with 12 games on loan at Coca-Cola Football League 2 outfit Notts County.

He provides cover for Todd in defence and midfield though and the City manager is relieved to see his squad strengthened after a poor pre-season highlighted major holes.

He hasn't given up in bringing in former Forest left-back Alan Rogers and said: "It's been well documented we've been working overtime to get players in and Alan Rogers is still a goal.

"But with these two new boys plus David Graham and Ben Parker we have made some good recent acquisitions for the football club, which is just what we needed."

Good luck to him I say, he was ace for us.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, August 2, 2006, 13:42:55 »

I'm not sure if I'm alone here, but here goes anyway.  I don't think Lee Holmes was that great for us, he was alright but not the amazing player as rated by others.

Now I am prepared to admit when I'm wrong so bring on the TEF scorn.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, August 2, 2006, 13:43:56 »

he is a good player and he did do well for us. good signing by Todd there
sonic youth

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, August 2, 2006, 15:14:18 »

Quote from: "janaage"
I'm not sure if I'm alone here, but here goes anyway.  I don't think Lee Holmes was that great for us, he was alright but not the amazing player as rated by others.

Now I am prepared to admit when I'm wrong so bring on the TEF scorn.

i agree although it was clearly obvious that he had bundles of talent.
McLovin

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, August 2, 2006, 15:25:48 »

I agree with Jan. In our team, if he wasn't used properly (which was usually for the first 45 mins until they got reminded to at half time) he was a complete passenger. "Slightly better than Paul Edwards" is my appraisal of him
my-velocity

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, August 2, 2006, 15:29:29 »

LEE HOLMES, THERES ONLY ONE LEE HOLMES Beers

Ace player.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, August 2, 2006, 15:36:54 »

I remember a horrific 3-0 loss at home to Colchester on 2005 New Years Day... He was the only player that looked bothered for us that day.

Good luck to him.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, August 2, 2006, 15:41:45 »

Oh yeah, good luck to the kid, nothing against him, just didn't really see what all the fuss was about.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, August 2, 2006, 15:44:48 »

Lee Holmes was ace for us, but didn't suit our Hoofball style of play really.
my-velocity

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, August 2, 2006, 15:49:44 »

Quote from: "sam_stfc"
Lee Holmes was ace for us, but didn't suit our Hoofball style of play really.

Yes
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, August 2, 2006, 16:13:23 »

Lee Holmes was quality when he was actually given the ball, he beat his man every single time FACT!
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, August 2, 2006, 16:16:55 »

Quote from: "Dave Blackcurrant"
I agree with Jan. In our team, if he wasn't used properly (which was usually for the first 45 mins until they got reminded to at half time) he was a complete passenger. "Slightly better than Paul Edwards" is my appraisal of him

It's not his fault that the other donkeys didn't get the ball to him though is it? I thought he was excellent myself.
Piemonte

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, August 2, 2006, 16:19:36 »

Quote from: "DV85"
Lee Holmes was quality when he was actually given the ball, he beat his man every single time FACT!

NON-FACTIOD Vennerial Dude. although he did do it quite often.

I'm not sure if it was just him or king telling him to litterally stand on the left touchline meaning games sometimes passed him by
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, August 2, 2006, 19:05:06 »

Quote from: "RichPullen"
I remember a horrific 3-0 loss at home to Colchester on 2005 New Years Day... He was the only player that looked bothered for us that day.

Good luck to him.

I remember that  one, sat watching through  an evil hangover....most of our players seemed to have one as well....apart from Holmes who was too young to get in a pub....

.....a classic example of Town fans appreciating anyone who they can see is putting in a bit of effort and looking like they may actually care.....we've had too many wasters in recent seasons, some of whom are still with us.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, August 2, 2006, 19:12:19 »

".....a classic example of Town fans appreciating anyone who they can see is putting in a bit of effort and looking like they may actually care"

I like that summary Reg.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: