Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Does anybody else have the impression that...  (Read 1980 times)
BANGKOK RED

« on: Saturday, July 2, 2005, 12:03:39 »

The club are embarking on last gasp effort for promotion to save this club. The recent new signigs have been very impressive indeed wth more to come, and the board appear to be very forthcoming with giving AK the resources to build a team which really can challenge this season. Perhaps they have recognised that asides from SSW digging deep to meet the CVA payment, the only way they can conceivably meet this payment is by getting promoted.

Things really do seem to be looking good at the moment but i can't help feeling that if promotion is not acheived this year then we could loose our club forever.
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #1 on: Saturday, July 2, 2005, 12:43:44 »

i don't think so, they know they needed to sign some decent names to the crowd back but they are doing it in a way which will still help secure the club (Lowering the wage budget by 25%)

He still doesn't have a transfer budget and his wages are cut so i wouldn't say its a last gasp effort. its a question of making this club sutainable which it isn't at the moment.

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, July 2, 2005, 13:03:32 »

I reckon King's just working miracles again, even with 200k off the wage budget he's still managing it.

The adver says about Thorpe and Cureton: “They haven’t come here for financial gain. They’ve both taken big drops in their salaries."

Finances are still in the shit but I think we're again building a good squad on the cheap. I think they'll be teams with much bigger budgets but much worse squads than us next year.
unclemark

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, July 2, 2005, 13:08:03 »

I have a feeling that Forest won't get promoted.  They have lost so many players and their manager is awful.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, July 2, 2005, 14:01:25 »

Quote from: "BANGKOK RED"
The club are embarking on last gasp effort for promotion to save this club. The recent new signigs have been very impressive indeed wth more to come, and the board appear to be very forthcoming with giving AK the resources to build a team which really can challenge this season. Perhaps they have recognised that asides from SSW digging deep to meet the CVA payment, the only way they can conceivably meet this payment is by getting promoted.

Things really do seem to be looking good at the moment but i can't help feeling that if promotion is not acheived this year then we could loose our club forever.

In answer to the question.....no.

The squad as stands is still nowhere near strong enough or deep enough to mount a promotion push....staying up is still the aim.

The future rests on the CG redevelopment....we can happily carry on as we are in Div 4.
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, July 2, 2005, 14:26:44 »

I think Reg is being a bit negative over are signings. Which is a fair attitude, trying to keep all our hopes down a bit.

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, July 4, 2005, 17:18:33 »

IMO think Reg is being realistic.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
red macca

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2005, 12:50:18 »

i think reg is being negative on this one.imo king has brought in players who have alot experience and some raw talent which he did 2 pre seasons ago that season only penaltys prevented us going up imo.i think we will have a very simalr season to that one as it stands now.if we sign the strong midfielder we need then who knows we could be celebrating Beers when did that last happen
adje

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2005, 14:55:57 »

Players like Evans,O'Hanlon,Igoe,Migz,Ifil and Roberts will have to show a huge improvement in form if we are to have any chance of Play-offs.All hideously underperformed last season in my opinion.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
red macca

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2005, 15:28:45 »

think your a bit harsh on  o,hanlon and roberts there o,hanlon played well so did roberts until he was forced out imo
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2005, 15:31:23 »

Migz didn't really underperform either, he was rushed back from injury far too soon.  When he finally did get his fitness back he looked very good again.
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2005, 17:30:43 »

Reg - the issue you forget is that to sign such big names, the club would need to make assurances about where their ambition lies, and I doubt the likes of Cureton would be satisfied with avoiding relegation.

However, I don't think we're throwing all our eggs in one basket.  I'd like to think it's King working miracles again, he does seem to have a way of words to make players like him and want to come to Swindon.  Shame he can't work his magic with the fans!  Wink
Barnard

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2005, 12:20:11 »

League one will be strong division this year, and I think we would do very well to get promoted. Saying that a few more players brought in, and good luck with injuries and we could make a push. Mid table is more likely though. I presume the board has plans in place to meet the CVA, after that we may have a bit more money to spend, if the new ground materializes we could be on the up again.
alex

« Reply #13 on: Saturday, July 9, 2005, 10:13:39 »

I don't think the league is going to be any tougher than it was last year, the standard of the clubs promoted and relegated has remained at roughly the same level. We have however, strengthened our team considerably. Although we will be running a much smaller squad, the players we have will all be capable of pushing for a first team place and we will therefore be carrying no passengers as we have done in previous years.

IN: Cureton, Thorpe, Jack Smith, Comyn Platt, Shakes, Paul Smith? , Whalley?

INCONSISTANT PERFORMERS OUT: Howard, Grant Smith, Heywood, Igoe, Duke, Hewlett etc etc

CONSISTANT PLAYERS OUT: Parkin

We have lost our most inconsistant players and it has to be recognised that although we have lost more players than we have gained, the ones we have gained are quality compared to some of the crap thats left. King has managed to lower the wage budget whilst strengthening the squad to such an extent that promotion looks like a reasonable possibilty. I don't think this is a last gasp attempt to get promoted and save the club... it is just a few great signings, good work Andy King.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: