Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 ... 92   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Managerial Merry-go-round 2023-2024: they come and go  (Read 228312 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #990 on: Thursday, November 2, 2023, 16:03:41 »

13 wins in the last 60 games he has managed a 21% win ratio! yes let them have him, they deserve each other.

It’s great watching their expectations collapse😁

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #991 on: Thursday, November 2, 2023, 16:19:31 »

Not sure why Gills fans are so very excited about naming Stephen Clemence as their new manager, he has managed a total of 5 games while joint caretaker at Sheff Weds winning 2 of them.

This appointment smacks of Jody Morris to me. Decent assistant/coach but totally inexperienced as a manager despite being 45, only time will tell though.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #992 on: Thursday, November 2, 2023, 16:33:54 »

Not sure why Gills fans are so very excited about naming Stephen Clemence as their new manager, he has managed a total of 5 games while joint caretaker at Sheff Weds winning 2 of them.

This appointment smacks of Jody Morris to me. Decent assistant/coach but totally inexperienced as a manager despite being 45, only time will tell though.

Maybe because it’s not Scott Lindsey Smiley
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #993 on: Thursday, November 2, 2023, 16:36:09 »

Maybe because it’s not Scott Lindsey Smiley

A compelling argument.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #994 on: Thursday, November 2, 2023, 23:54:09 »

In fairness these type of appointments usually go one way or the other.
We’ve had decent success under first time managers mostly.
I know the game has changed a lot since we had success under the likes of Hoddle & McMahon

….he could do well for them or absolutely bomb like Jody Morris.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #995 on: Friday, November 3, 2023, 10:13:19 »

In fairness these type of appointments usually go one way or the other.
We’ve had decent success under first time managers mostly.
I know the game has changed a lot since we had success under the likes of Hoddle & McMahon

….he could do well for them or absolutely bomb like Jody Morris.
The difference with Hoddle, Ardiles, Macmahon and Macari was that they were appointed right at the end of their playing career (actually with all playing their last game while manager with us).

Clemence and for that matter Morris too had 10-15 years as a coach before being appointed as manager/head coach.

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #996 on: Friday, November 3, 2023, 11:07:44 »

The difference with Hoddle, Ardiles, Macmahon and Macari was that they were appointed right at the end of their playing career (actually with all playing their last game while manager with us).

Clemence and for that matter Morris too had 10-15 years as a coach before being appointed as manager/head coach.
Hoddle played for Chelsea after us  Wink
Peter Venkman

« Reply #997 on: Friday, November 3, 2023, 11:13:41 »

Hoddle played for Chelsea after us  Wink
The statement still stands though they were managers who were still playing when they became our manager rather than having 10 years as coach/assistant priot to taking the top job.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #998 on: Friday, November 3, 2023, 11:40:37 »

The statement still stands though they were managers who were still playing when they became our manager rather than having 10 years as coach/assistant priot to taking the top job.

…now you’d think logically after 10+ years of coaching someone would be a better manager than someone who had just hung up their boots.

Morris was not.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #999 on: Friday, November 3, 2023, 11:47:08 »

I don't think we can underestimate the sheer impact those type of almost ex-players had on the players around them, and the draw they were to players.  Morris may well have played the game at a high level, but he is not a name, and that gap from his playing days means very few young players would know much if anything about them.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #1000 on: Friday, November 3, 2023, 11:53:57 »

I don't think we can underestimate the sheer impact those type of almost ex-players had on the players around them, and the draw they were to players. 
Absolutely, they were all leaders on the pitch, the player manager role seems to have been banished to the annals of history now though.

Bob1978

Ignore
« Reply #1001 on: Friday, November 3, 2023, 11:59:24 »

I remember one of McMahon's first games - from where I was in the townend he was literally driving the midfield forward.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1002 on: Friday, November 3, 2023, 12:01:29 »

And even if they only played a handful, they were still running training as if they were a player.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1003 on: Friday, November 3, 2023, 12:29:30 »

I remember one of McMahon's first games - from where I was in the townend he was literally driving the midfield forward.

Got sent off in his first IIRC.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1004 on: Friday, November 3, 2023, 12:31:01 »

Great news hopefully fans will now be able to relax and let the manager build a decent squad.
https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/23899235.michael-flynn-pens-new-swindon-town-contract-2026/

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 ... 92   Go Up
Print
Jump to: