Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Help! Rent quibble  (Read 6232 times)
mystical_goat

Ignore
« on: Monday, January 14, 2013, 22:05:42 »

I'm moving into a new place on 21st of this month, which has just been confirmed today. The current occupant of the room moves out on the 18th. I'm happy to pay her the remainder of that month's rent from when I move in, but not from the 19th (the day after she moves out) which is what she wants. It's only a small amount of money and I don't want to start off on a bad foot with the rest of my new housemates, but I really don't think I should pay for a room I won't be in.

Who should pay for the days in between?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 14, 2013, 22:18:01 »

I think you should pay...based on nothing more than a gut feeling.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 14, 2013, 22:22:23 »

I'm moving into a new place on 21st of this month, which has just been confirmed today. The current occupant of the room moves out on the 18th. I'm happy to pay her the remainder of that month's rent from when I move in, but not from the 19th (the day after she moves out) which is what she wants. It's only a small amount of money and I don't want to start off on a bad foot with the rest of my new housemates, but I really don't think I should pay for a room I won't be in.

Nobody should  really.  The landlord should refund her money for the remainder of the month.  You would then pay the landlord from 21st, so effectively they would lose 2 day's rent when the room was empty.

However, if you're going to pay the original occupant rather than the landlord, it gets more difficult, as one of you will be out of pocket.  Can you not move in on 19th?
Bumpkin

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, January 14, 2013, 22:34:24 »

Move in earlier?

mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, January 14, 2013, 22:34:51 »

The earliest I can move in is the 21st due to the van hire company closing at midday on Saturdays. They do £30 one day rentals of a Transit and if I were to pick it up on Saturday and move I'd not be able to return it 'til Monday and I'd end up paying for 3 days instead of 1.

That's a good point about the landlord. I've got him on gmail chat and he's online, maybe I should ask.
Peter Gibbons

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 14, 2013, 22:45:13 »

Personally, I'd probably pay it - like you said, it's a small amount so no point getting off on the wrong foot with the new flatmates.

It's not that I'm lazy.  It's that I just don't care.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, January 14, 2013, 23:07:01 »

Walk in and lay it on the line like Sabine on fresh meat.

"you are not good peeples".

Clems Army!
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, January 14, 2013, 23:18:45 »

I think Paolo should pay, He gets the blame for everything else,
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #8 on: Monday, January 14, 2013, 23:21:28 »

Split the 2 days 50/50.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, January 14, 2013, 23:49:05 »

Split the 2 days 50/50.

Suggested to the landlord that he refund the girl, and I pay him from the 21st like joteddy suggested, and this is what the landlord came up with. Will wait and see what the girl says.
AldbourneRed

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2013, 00:53:36 »

Presumably your rental contract is with the landlord and not the other tenants, which means you should only be paying from the date your contract starts, which sounds like the 21st from what you've said.

Who pays for the room up until then is the landlords problem, not yours, he/she definitely has no right to make you pay for the days before the contract starts.

However, for the sake of a day or two's rent it'd be understandable if you paid just to keep the landlord sweet, just be aware there's no obligation on you doing that if you don't want to.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2013, 09:56:49 »

For a definitive answer contact Bushey Boy!
fatbasher

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2013, 13:43:05 »

Tell you're not moving in after all and call her bluff.

In my experience woman can get really, really funny over money. It's their equivelent of "men are only after one thing", which in fairness is not often wrong, it's the way we are hot wired by nature. Birds on the other hand are the same when it comes to money. Watch a birds night out. They split everything down to the last penny, where as blokes just split things evenly regardless of who's had what.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, January 16, 2013, 21:47:24 »

We went halves in the end. She was a dick about it though, my email to her:

Paula,

Sorry but we didn't agree on the 13 day thing, you suggested it yesterday.

It's also not my fault that I can't move on the exact day after you move out, with under a week's notice. Nobody should be paying for a room before they move in, or after they move out for that matter.

I asked the landlord if he would refund you from the 18th and I could pay him from the 21st. He's suggesting we go halves.

Her reply,

Ben it's standard practice to pay to secure a room we've been clear about when it's available from. I haven't got time to argue with you over this amount, if you're going to be stubborn then just pay me that amount but I need it today.

Glad I don't have to live with this one. She seemed a bit of a nob when I went round there, the others were sound though.
DMR

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, January 16, 2013, 22:02:35 »

The tone of her reply makes my blood boil and it's nothing to do with me. Should've told the bitch to fucking shove it!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: