Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: i-Robot Vs Suicide Bombers - who wins you decide....  (Read 756 times)
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, August 4, 2009, 07:55:00 »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8182003.stm

An international debate is needed on the use of autonomous military robots, a leading academic has said.
Noel Sharkey of the University of Sheffield said that a push toward more robotic technology used in warfare would put civilian life at grave risk

Thread Edited...
Note to self: read the fucking article fully instead of just looking at the pictures you fucking homer...

« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 4, 2009, 08:12:37 by triseros » Logged
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, August 4, 2009, 07:57:29 »

It's Noel Sharkey, he was on Robot Wars so therefore he must be the dude.

On the actual issue, I can't see the problem. He's talking about the use of autonomous Robots- not drone planes which are controlled by somebody with a remote control or something back safely out of the way. Robots that would have to be able to identify as well as eliminate the target. If we're going to go down that route, you do need to make sure the technology is pretty damned good, it only takes some sort of Robot to accidentally target one of our own troops or an innocent civillian and you have some sort of PR nightmare on your hands (especially as the tabloids will instantly go for the Terminator comparisons, valid or otherwise)
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 4, 2009, 08:00:11 by Nemo » Logged
flammableBen

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, August 4, 2009, 08:00:04 »

I don't really get the problem? A discussion about the moral and philosophical implications of more complex and powerful killer robots seems fairly sensible.

BANGKOK RED

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, August 4, 2009, 08:03:20 »

He is on about autonomous robots.

Think "i-robot".
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, August 4, 2009, 08:08:24 »

OK, I've had my morning shit and calmed down now and actually taken time to read the article fully rather than just look at the pictures...

Autonomous Robots Vs Suicide Bombers...  hmmm, I sense a reality TV programme in the making
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 4, 2009, 08:13:30 by triseros » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: