Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gills v STFC Matchday Thread  (Read 12858 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, February 13, 2024, 11:06:57 »

Just realised I was at the last win there back on Boxing Day in 86, we took about 2,000 there for a near 10k attendance.

It was only about 7 years since the Gills thugery and stupidity induced problems were still very fresh in the memory, inside the ground they were throwing bottles, coins and bricks from their broken old stand at us inside the ground, the only time I have ever felt that my life was threatened at a game.

And yes even after all these years I am still bitter, nasty fucking pikey wankers.

We have only won there 5 times in 51 games with 20 draws, so not a happy hunting ground for Town.

Overall though in home and away Town currently have the edge with 36 wins and 35 defeats in the 103 games with the other 32 ending drawn.

Gills have only lost once in the last 7 league games and have a very wealthy owner who has put a lot into the playing squad financially so should be near the leaders in terms of spending power.

They currently sit in 9th place just 1 point off the play offs with the 4th tightest defence in the division but conversely the worst scoring rate in the league with just 29 goals.

In the home game they looked solid defensively but we (Hutton) insisted in floating soft deep crosses which were lapped up by the huge Gills defence so hopefully a bit of pace can get behind them tonight.

I would still play this side.

Bycroft
Dokes     McCarthy    FBT     Kokolo
             Khan             Cain
                       Devoy
Elboozy                                 Glatzel
                     Austin

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, February 13, 2024, 11:09:28 »

Both McGurk and Johnson weren't on the bench on Saturday,
Johnson was mate.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, February 13, 2024, 11:10:58 »

I’ve stuck us in a treble with Newport and Harrogate.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, February 13, 2024, 11:19:04 »

Johnson was mate.

Uh, I meant 'involved', as in on the pitch. Which is kind of correct, right?  Hmmm

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, February 13, 2024, 11:28:41 »

Uh, I meant 'involved', as in on the pitch. Which is kind of correct, right?  Hmmm
Yes Gav didnt make the mass subs that he did at Newport. He seems to have learnt a bit from that mistake which changed the game for the worse. (although Johnson wasnt on the bench in that game).

Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, February 13, 2024, 12:10:34 »

Pre match bringing the real ale ting, I can't lie, in The Robert Pocock.
Fuelling in the aptly named Gravesend before mingling with the friendly locals in Gillingham later.

Always a pleasure to visit the sun kissed golden sands of the Medway Estuary.
Dreadful record here, but very even across a 100+ league encounters.

Was there for the last victory in Dec 86.
Did we really play 2 games in 2 days then, 26th & 27th?
Both won by an ultra fit team.
Guardiola et al would probably self combust at the mere suggestion.

Need to get back to Swindon before midnight otherwise I'll turn into a pint of Carling or some other gassy monstrosity.

Leaving early will mean missing the last minute winner & ensuing mass display of twitching breasticles in the away end, not to mention the adje pitch invasion, mainly to get Jonny Williams autograph of course.

More likely we will be holed below the Beamish Line this evening.

In the front three bingo I would go with Glatzel, Austin & Zach to start with RHM, Drinan & Harry in reserve.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, February 13, 2024, 12:22:54 »

3-1 winners away at Gillingham on the 27th then got beat 0-1 away at Bournemouth in the 1st Jan where we had over 3000 fans in the old open terrace behind the goal.

So, give no fucks
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, February 13, 2024, 12:33:27 »

2-0 win at home to Brentford on 26th according to the Banyard site.

Is it half term?
Trains & stations seemed busy with sprogs underfoot everywhere.

A midweek visit to Gillingham is a good test of natural selection ahead of a future of committed STFC fandom for any bairns brought along by well meaning parents this evening.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, February 13, 2024, 12:43:10 »

Pre match bringing the real ale ting, I can't lie, in The Robert Pocock.
Fuelling in the aptly named Gravesend before mingling with the friendly locals in Gillingham later.

Always a pleasure to visit the sun kissed golden sands of the Medway Estuary.
Dreadful record here, but very even across a 100+ league encounters.

Was there for the last victory in Dec 86.
Did we really play 2 games in 2 days then, 26th & 27th?
Both won by an ultra fit team.
Guardiola et al would probably self combust at the mere suggestion.

Need to get back to Swindon before midnight otherwise I'll turn into a pint of Carling or some other gassy monstrosity.

Leaving early will mean missing the last minute winner & ensuing mass display of twitching breasticles in the away end, not to mention the adje pitch invasion, mainly to get Jonny Williams autograph of course.

More likely we will be holed below the Beamish Line this evening.

In the front three bingo I would go with Glatzel, Austin & Zach to start with RHM, Drinan & Harry in reserve.

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Results.asp?Season=1986-1987

Certainly did. Different times huh!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, February 13, 2024, 14:26:22 »

Two games in two days, first at home, second one away in Kent 22 hours later... two changes to the first XI. Proper mad shit. We had a proper squad as well, it wasn't one of those seasons where we only used 15 pros.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, February 13, 2024, 14:37:50 »

Two games in two days, first at home, second one away in Kent 22 hours later... two changes to the first XI. Proper mad shit. We had a proper squad as well, it wasn't one of those seasons where we only used 15 pros.
We easily had the fittest side in the league for a few seasons under Macari, we used to win many games in the last 10 mins of games (exactly the opposite of now!) mostly because we were so fit and could press teams for the entire 90 (plus 1 or 2 mins added) of a game - in every game.

In pre seasons Macari would often play friendlies on back to back days and often the players would play the entire 90 mins in every game up to 4 or 5 in a week with only 15 or 16 pro's.

jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, February 13, 2024, 14:56:12 »

Is it half term?

Yep
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, February 13, 2024, 15:36:07 »

2 games in 2 days seems madness for football even when I was a kid and that isn't that many years removed.
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, February 13, 2024, 16:41:54 »

I think from memory the last time Swindon did that was in the 94-95 season. Away to Stoke on Boxing day, home to Sheffield United on the 27th.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, February 13, 2024, 18:12:14 »

Fleur de Lis 5.30 Speaking to the local gendarme,expecting an easy evening! Very few Town at the moment

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: