Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 31   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tranmere v Swindon Town matchday thread  (Read 15614 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 08:58:36 »

Anyone going?  Doh
First of our two 6 pointer relegation battles of the Christmas period.
Tranmere had a lean spell around Ocober losing 6 on the bounce in all competitions, typically to lose only 1 in 7 in the following games before playing us. With our away form being terrible I can't see beyond a defeat.

Tranmere 3-0 Swindon att: 6,711 (241 town)

Merry Xmas  Smiley
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 23, 2023, 17:39:38 by 4D » Logged
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 09:11:22 »

I know we're sort of tongue in cheek on the relegation stuff, but that start to the season really did put us a long way clear, we're 15 points ahead of Forest Green second bottom, who have taken 20 games to amass their 15 points.

With 24 games to go, we probably need something like 13 points to be safe, maybe even less. Even we're not *that* shit, it would be like the inverse of Barton's Bristol Rovers a few years ago.

Obviously points deductions would put the cat amongst the pigeons.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 09:19:03 by Nemo » Logged
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 09:18:27 »

I know we're sort of tongue in cheek on the relegation stuff, but that start to the season really did put us a long way clear, we're 15 points ahead of Forest Green second bottom, who have taken 20 games to amass their 15 points.

With 26 games to go, we probably need something like 13 points to be safe, maybe even less. Even we're not *that* shit, it would be like the inverse of Barton's Bristol Rovers a few years ago.

Obviously points deductions would put the cat amongst the pigeons.

We play FGR in the Christmas/NY period who could close that gap to 12 points Wink

I'm not massively worried about relegation but the last 2 games where we've stunk the place out and shown very little going forward whilst being continually catastrophic at the back is a red flag. You then look at Flynn's run of 20 games without a victory (I think that's accurate) last season at Walsall before he got fired and that is potentially another red flag. Since his contract extension our form has pretty much tanked (not saying that's the reason for it) and we're about to lose our 2 best attacking players. What happens in January is absolutely key, but we know that.

As for Saturday - the game is Saturday isn't it? I think it's another defeat unfortunately.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 09:23:21 »

The more 'achievable' target is the Beamish line - 17th on 58 points. We're only just above that on points per game at the moment *including* our start.

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/LeagueTable.asp?CompCode=LGE&Tier=4&Season=1983-1984
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 09:26:47 »

Never thought I’d say this, but I’d take relegation if it meant the entire club got cleaned up and passed on to someone who cared. Let’s just get all this shit dealt with and start anew.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 09:42:00 »

Never thought I’d say this, but I’d take relegation if it meant the entire club got cleaned up and passed on to someone who cared. Let’s just get all this shit dealt with and start anew.

But the obvious risk is we don't get that right and get stuck in non league.

Surely the club is more saleable when in the EFL? If that's Clembos exit startegy.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 09:57:00 »

All that stuff is out of our control. Obviously I’d prefer him and the rest of them gone and stay in L2, but if it meant falling through the trapdoor to get them out, I’m fine with that.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 10:03:51 »

I guess I'm not - risk higher than possible rewards. As it happens, as things are, I think its an inevitability we drop within 5 years.

Things can change.
The Million Pound Man

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 10:19:51 »

All that stuff is out of our control. Obviously I’d prefer him and the rest of them gone and stay in L2, but if it meant falling through the trapdoor to get them out, I’m fine with that.

I was thinking about this yesterday, given our good start to the season- 12 points for admin and a clean start takeover with a sensible owner in January is possibly the quickest way out of this cycle of abuse, and should mean we stay in the EFL.

Unlikely to play out like that, but id bite your hand off for it right now.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 10:24:21 »

Cant see past a defeat.

Barely bothered to even watch but I will. Fair play to anyone trvalling up there but at least its no longer a Friday night KO like they used to be.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 10:30:42 »

Yeah we'd go non league and still have the crooks hanging around I think.

If we lose this, i'll start getting worried as January is going to be a shit show and its going to be a much more difficult second half of the season.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 10:53:10 »

Cant see past a defeat.

Barely bothered to even watch but I will. Fair play to anyone trvalling up there but at least its no longer a Friday night KO like they used to be.

I remember going up there on a Friday when we had Shearer & White up front and Tranmere had John Aldridge. At that time they were three of the leagues top scorers so goals were obviously guaranteed. yep, it was a 0-0 draw. We stayed up & went to watch Everton on the Saturday, who managed to win 1-0.

I'd happily settle for a 0-0 draw this time, but just can't see it although I guess it depends on who (if anayone) is back from illness/injury
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 10:58:36 »

I remember going up there on a Friday when we had Shearer & White up front and Tranmere had John Aldridge. At that time they were three of the leagues top scorers so goals were obviously guaranteed. yep, it was a 0-0 draw. We stayed up & went to watch Everton on the Saturday, who managed to win 1-0.

I'd happily settle for a 0-0 draw this time, but just can't see it although I guess it depends on who (if anayone) is back from illness/injury
I was at that game too, it was my annual outing to take my long passed Dad to his local game.

We would go up on the Friday morning to his home in Runcorn, go to the match the same evening (it was often middle of Feb which coincided with my dad and my mutual birthday) and then on the Saturday we would go to Anfield as my dad had a soft spot for Liverpool having lived locally for 25 years despite him supporting Town for 60 years.

It was always bitterly cold/wet/both at Prenton park and often snowed helped by the winds coming accross from the Irish Sea.

I would happily take a draw too but cant see past a 3 goal defeat again.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 11:00:39 »

The amount of times I see people complain about having to go to the tinpot teams in League 2, imagine having to go to this lot (Bromley, Solihull, Gateshead, Eastleigh, Maidenhead, Wealdstone, Boreham Wood, Woking, Dorking, Ebbsfleet, Fylde), Fuck that for a game of soldiers.

Added to that, as Batch says there's no guarantee that we would get promoted, we could quite easily do a Southend, Hereford, Scunthorpe, Yeovil, Torquay and the rest, especially as Clem would hang on to get his investments back, which he wouldn't trying to sell a non-league club

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 11:20:47 »

I did say I’d accept it IF Clem et al fucked off and we had new, competent, honest owners.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 31   Go Up
Print
Jump to: