Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: THISISSTFC  (Read 10668 times)
The_Plagiarist

« on: Wednesday, March 7, 2007, 09:35:55 »

I hear the king of all stfc fora has been shut down again due to defamatory comments posted by a certain "independant" councillor...
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, March 7, 2007, 09:37:25 »

expand Huh?
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, March 7, 2007, 10:30:39 »

Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, March 7, 2007, 10:31:17 »

by the way if that means they are all going to flock to this one then im running a mile
Frasier3

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, March 7, 2007, 10:31:43 »

The forum was down late last night but there doesn't seem to be a problem now. That said there have been no posts on the "management" thread since about 7pm last night which is unusual.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, March 7, 2007, 11:06:56 »

Quote from: "Rich"
by the way if that means they are all going to flock to this one then im running a mile

I can't believe you would say such a horrible thing about such esteemed contributors as 'Chicken Tits' and 'Penhill' Cool
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, March 7, 2007, 19:39:01 »

The TISTFC site is definitely being monitored and censored!  Free speech for everybody, unless of course you happen to run STFC - or not run it as the word takes you!
WorcesterRed

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, March 8, 2007, 10:43:00 »

Anybody know any more about the thisis forum?

Seems to have been unreliable over the last couple of days and you can't access it at all now.

Does anyone really believe that the club has had a word with the adver and it's been taken down completely **he says, sounding naive **

:gay:
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, March 8, 2007, 10:55:40 »

Nah, their database has gone pop - a lot of the error messages over the last few days have been related to insufficent resources to service database requests, and now it's saying:

Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

As a software developer myself, I can state with some authority that trying to connect to a database that doesn't exist is going to cause you problems  Cheesy
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, March 8, 2007, 11:01:58 »

I think the club didn't foresee the kind of reaction that we're seeing now, before or after the fans' forum. Whilst it's been a bit of a disaster for them, they now have no choice but all out war on the 'rebels' so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if thisis is closed for 'maintenance' whilst posts are removed etc.

It's one of the reasons why I personally want the Trust to back direct action (which thus far they have understandably not backed). I think the war between 'us and them' was started long ago and I now don't see anything the Board does publicly as being constructive - on the contrary I think they have been very clever to get away without attacking the 'rebels'. But now the Board don't have a choice but to attack and without the numbers on our side (which in all honesty is the only way we will win), the Board will win.

That's my view and interpretation of events anyway. I could of course be talking more tripe than fatbury.
WorcesterRed

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, March 8, 2007, 11:03:12 »

Quote from: "pauld"
Nah, their database has gone pop - a lot of the error messages over the last few days have been related to insufficent resources to service database requests, and now it's saying:

Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

As a software developer myself, I can state with some authority that trying to connect to a database that doesn't exist is going to cause you problems  Cheesy

Paul - not sure if you're reply is tongue in cheek or not. I'm also a database developer and whilst they could have displayed a nice friendly error message stating 'forums are no longer available or something similar', in the past, when they have had to delete something quickly (presumably at the behest of STFC), the database has just not been available for a couple of hours and the error messages currently being experienced have been displayed.

I am therefore wondering if this is something more permanent as there seems to have been a problem for a couple of days now and whilst I don't know the platform that they are using, you would expect the adver to be using a far more professional hosting service and not some two-bit database platform that falls over and renders half the site being inoperative for a couple of days. This sort of issue should not be arising on a web site in 2007!!

:nono:
WorcesterRed

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, March 8, 2007, 11:04:34 »

On a slightly separate note, I hadn't noticed anything out of the ordinary in terms of direct insults on the thisis form before these problems occurred anyway - it's all rather puzzling.
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, March 8, 2007, 11:06:58 »

Even Dellboy had 3 posts removed yesterday

That HAS to be saying something
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #13 on: Thursday, March 8, 2007, 11:12:05 »

To put it this way. If I were in the Board's shoes (thankfully I'm not) I think I would be doing the same. It makes sense to go on the attack whilst the numbers are down and try and break things up before it gets out of hand.

The Board of old probably wouldn't go to the lengths that the Board are now. I'm certain new influences have made them a bit more clever with the public.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, March 8, 2007, 11:25:26 »

Quote from: "WorcesterRed"
Quote from: "pauld"

Paul - not sure if you're reply is tongue in cheek or not. I'm also a database developer and whilst they could have displayed a nice friendly error message stating 'forums are no longer available or something similar', in the past, when they have had to delete something quickly (presumably at the behest of STFC), the database has just not been available for a couple of hours and the error messages currently being experienced have been displayed.

I am therefore wondering if this is something more permanent as there seems to have been a problem for a couple of days now and whilst I don't know the platform that they are using, you would expect the adver to be using a far more professional hosting service and not some two-bit database platform that falls over and renders half the site being inoperative for a couple of days. This sort of issue should not be arising on a web site in 2007!!

:nono:

Er, it was a bit tongue-in-cheek - but equally just as the database shouldn't just go pop at random and render the whole site unstable for several days as you say nor should it be necessary to take the database offline just to remove a few posts/threads if that is what is going on. Even the most basic of web forum software allows you to remove posts without taking the database down.

Maybe I put too much weight on the "out of resources" messages I was seeing earlier this week which looked like a classic failure to clean up connection resources properly (e.g. in boilerplaye code in a header script), leading to a gradual degradation in performance as the connections get tied up one by one, till finally it goes pop because no more connections are available. But like you say, that's a pretty "My First ASP script" error to be making that you wouldn't expect to see on a web forum these days.

Although they do seem to be using SQL Server, so "two-bit database platform" probably sums it up!

Maybe we could join forces and offer the Adver some consultancy on making their website a bit more stable.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: