Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Riddle me this, TEF geeks  (Read 3081 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« on: Monday, May 14, 2012, 20:36:24 »

My new laptop has developed an irritating flicker whereby the screen brightness dims for a split second or so. No picture distortion, just purely brightness. Sometimes it'll only do it once every 20 minutes or so, sometimes it's a couple of times a minute.

I've messed around with the power saving options - no dice. I've updated the latest graphics drivers (Intel HD) - no dice.

To test whether it was hardware related or not I booted up a linux liveCD and ran that for an hour or so but the issue did not present, so that rules out a faulty screen or inverter.

I'm stumped.
Barry Scott

« Reply #1 on: Monday, May 14, 2012, 20:40:59 »

My old Vaio used to do similar, I believe, and there was nothing I could find to stop it. It was something to do with the Vaio (as opposed to Windows) power management console thing, but it was rubbish and from recollection remained that way until I formatted.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, May 14, 2012, 20:41:52 »

Yeah, there's so much Samsung bloat shit on here that I thought it might have something to do with it.
Barry Scott

« Reply #3 on: Monday, May 14, 2012, 20:44:46 »

I'm not saying it is of course, but it sounds very similar and I know I couldn't solve it. It made me want to punch it, as without going all Mac Fanboy on the thread, it was not a subtle transition, but a flickery annoying 3 or 4 stage change in brightness.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, May 14, 2012, 20:56:11 »

A quick Google came up with someone having the same problem, caused by the auto dimming feature. You can turn it off via the Easy Settings software, apparently.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, May 14, 2012, 21:04:52 »

I've already uninstalled that software.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, May 14, 2012, 21:22:03 »

Think that could be your problem -  it's still active and you need the software to disable it;

http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/658846-samsung-series-7-screen-flickering-unable-reinstall-software.html
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, May 14, 2012, 21:29:10 »

Fuck it, I'm going with a fresh Win7 install. Fingers crossed, or else it's going back.
Coca Fola

« Reply #8 on: Monday, May 14, 2012, 21:32:42 »

Sometimes I have problems connecting to the internet because I "can't connect to the primary DNS server". What does this mean?
otanswell

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, May 14, 2012, 21:52:00 »

Fuck it, I'm going with a fresh Win7 install. Fingers crossed, or else it's going back.

I did this with my new Samsung as soon as I got it, the factory software they put on these are fucking shit

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, May 14, 2012, 23:07:01 »

I think the clean install has fixed it *touches wood*.

Recovery disk was a fuck load of good though; not even a driver for the NIC.
Barry Scott

« Reply #11 on: Monday, May 14, 2012, 23:15:38 »

I said that about my Sister's new Samsung in the trivially annoying thread some time back. I did a clean install of 7 using the "Samsung Recovery Disk" and was annoyed to find it had no drivers or anything. Took loads of fucking around.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 06:27:25 »

Booted up this morning and it's flickering again. Grrr.

Looks like I'm returning it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: