Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Duke vs Nicholas debate  (Read 4004 times)
BigStan

« on: Monday, March 7, 2005, 00:26:58 »

Ever since some brain donor came up with the idea of "The Wingback" football people all over the world have been having the same debate / argument.

"Is it better to pick Player A who's pretty good at defending and not too bad going forwards or Player B who's pretty good going forwards and not too bad at defending?"

In Swindon's case, however, it all starts to get very confusing.

Our player A, Andy Nicholas, is indeed pretty good defensively and not bad at all getting forward.

Unfortunately our Player B, David Duke, is only "not bad" going forward and absolutely useless defensively.

Why is there any need for a debate you may ask yourself ? Surely Andy Nicholas would be the manager's obvious choice.

Apparently not.

What's even more confusing is that the team isn't even playing with wingbacks. We needn't be having any debate.

If you're playing with fullbacks then you don't need to worry about how good anybody is going forwards. It's quite simple. Fullbacks are picked because they can defend.

There is no justification for King selecting David Duke as a fullback in a flat back four when every other manager in the division knows that he can't defend to save his life.

There is even less justification for King leaving the only real left back at the club, Andy Nicholas, not only out of the team but out of the squad.

And before someone chirps up with some drivel about his bad attitude and behaviour being the reason for his absence let's put that one to bed straight away.

None of the players or staff know why Andy King has gone off Nicholas. Only King knows that. And he isn't saying. Not even to Nicholas.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #1 on: Monday, March 7, 2005, 00:30:40 »

i'd like to see duke playing right midfield. shun me if you want  Cool
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, March 7, 2005, 00:31:37 »

These 'I know better than you' type posts/thread do get tiresome rather quickly.
jim

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, March 7, 2005, 06:26:27 »

Quote from: "sonicyouth"
These 'I know better than you' type posts/thread do get tiresome rather quickly.

Yes, but with you and many like you, its invariably true.  So, the fact that you find it tiresome is that it reinforces your feeling of inadequacy!

Now!

Get out of bed and get a job!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, March 7, 2005, 08:20:19 »

I don't think its part of some vendetta by King, remember he was so keen to get Nicho back that he rushed him after injury, but rather having came back and had a few bits and pieces he decided he'd lost his form.

After the BC, LDV game, he described the goal as being scored  by a run like "the old Nicho," rather suggesting he didn't much like the new Nicho.
jim

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, March 7, 2005, 08:42:42 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
I don't think its part of some vendetta by King, remember he was so keen to get Nicho back that he rushed him after injury, but rather having came back and had a few bits and pieces he decided he'd lost his form.

After the BC, LDV game, he described the goal as being scored  by a run like "the old Nicho," rather suggesting he didn't much like the new Nicho.

Reasonable assumption but a bit too simplistic.  Really, as Stan says, no one, not players, not staff, understands why.  The shameful thing, from a management point of view (in its generic sense), is that he (King) hasn't articulated any reason to Andy.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, March 7, 2005, 08:52:03 »

I think King is a simple man.
Piemonte

« Reply #7 on: Monday, March 7, 2005, 13:52:17 »

I totally understand why Nicholas hasnt been in the team lately. Untill the Doncaster and Bournemouth games Duke had been playing very well (possibly his best form ever in a red shirt) and totally deserved to keep his place.

After the last 2 games however, both of which have seen defensive errors by Mr Duke I wouldnt be that upset to see Nicholas get another chance.

Although quite why Bigstan and Santini (are you the same person? Wink ) think that Andy nicholas is the best left back this side of Ashley Cole is beyond me. In reality the difference in quality between Duke and Nicholas is negligable at best.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #8 on: Monday, March 7, 2005, 13:55:30 »

Piemonte2, do you ever get the feeling you were a parrot in a past life?  Wink
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, March 7, 2005, 13:56:13 »

i wish he would give nicho a chance for once
Piemonte

« Reply #10 on: Monday, March 7, 2005, 13:58:57 »

Quote from: "simon pieman"

I know. I should have just copied and pasted from the other thread.

This is what 2 weeks of doing fuck all does to me :?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #11 on: Monday, March 7, 2005, 13:59:41 »

Quote from: "Piemonte2"
Quote from: "simon pieman"

I know. I should have just copied and pasted from the other thread.

This is what 2 weeks of doing fuck all does to me :?

welcome to my world  Cool
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, March 7, 2005, 14:02:29 »

do you ever spend any time off this si?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #13 on: Monday, March 7, 2005, 14:06:16 »

yeah, in the few hours i spend at uni. also when neighbours/hollyoaks is on and when i go out drinking. Oh yeah, i sleep for about 3 hours as well.

Don't worry, I won't be on here much tomorrow, i'm at uni 9:55-5:30 and then watching the footy round a mates in the evening
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, March 7, 2005, 14:12:46 »

who cares about the champions league?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: