Poll
Question: Who was the greatest manager of all time?  (Voting closed: Wednesday, November 8, 2006, 23:13:59)
Sam Allen - 1 (1.4%)
Bert Head - 9 (13%)
Danny Williams - 5 (7.2%)
Fred Ford - 0 (0%)
Lou Macari - 11 (15.9%)
Ossie Ardiles - 6 (8.7%)
Glenn Hoddle - 22 (31.9%)
Steve McMahon - 2 (2.9%)
Andy King - 13 (18.8%)
Total Voters: 47

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Best ever Town manager II?  (Read 2695 times)
sonic youth

« on: Wednesday, November 8, 2006, 23:13:59 »

All have managed at least 100 games for the Town.
STFC Village

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2006, 23:33:47 »

Didn't know much about the first 4 names on that list, so i had a little read up on them. For me, it'd have to be between Sam Allen and Bert Head, both had legendary records! Bert Head just pips it for me, for bringing through all those great players as youngsters.

I've only been a Town fan since the Prem days (yes, i'm a plastic), so the most successful manager during my time is Steve McMahon :|
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, November 9, 2006, 00:25:20 »

4 votes for King Cool

/
W56196272
manc red

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, November 9, 2006, 02:12:18 »

Quote from: "STFC Village"
Didn't know much about the first 4 names on that list, so i had a little read up on them. For me, it'd have to be between Sam Allen and Bert Head, both had legendary records! Bert Head just pips it for me, for bringing through all those great players as youngsters.

I've only been a Town fan since the Prem days (yes, i'm a plastic), so the most successful manager during my time is Steve McMahon :|

true mr village and im too drunk to argue
Sharky

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, November 9, 2006, 10:45:36 »

Williams for the Cup in 69
Best moment in our history with Glenn Hoddle getting us to Premiership in close second and Jippo Italian Cup in 70 coming in third for me.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, November 9, 2006, 11:17:37 »

I voted only on those I remember being in charge, which meant i start from the Beamish era.

For me Ardiles just pips it.  Macari did a lot for the club but also saddled us with a big problem and Hoddle had the makings all placed before him.  Ardiles got us promoted to the Top League for the first time in our history and did it by transforming a team of long ball runners into the best footballing team I have seen at STFC, better than Hoddles team for on the floor one and two touch stuff.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, November 9, 2006, 11:19:53 »

Andy kings been the only decent manager since ive been watching  :?

Things get better but they never get good
mr ian

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, November 9, 2006, 11:21:06 »

unlucky
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, November 9, 2006, 20:59:14 »

Quote from: "RobertT"
I voted only on those I remember being in charge, which meant i start from the Beamish era.

For me Ardiles just pips it.  Macari did a lot for the club but also saddled us with a big problem and Hoddle had the makings all placed before him.  Ardiles got us promoted to the Top League for the first time in our history and did it by transforming a team of long ball runners into the best footballing team I have seen at STFC, better than Hoddles team for on the floor one and two touch stuff.

Agree with all of that.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, November 9, 2006, 21:21:35 »

i voted for King  Cool
mastapeaka

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, November 10, 2006, 21:30:15 »

Quote from: "Bedford Red"

Agree with all of that.

I agree but I do think Ossie inherited Lou's super-fit squad. After we were demoted and then reinstated, we struggled as the fitness began to wear off. We did win 4-0 at shitty that season though, so can't complain!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #11 on: Friday, November 10, 2006, 23:59:32 »

That's more like it King is 2nd. There must be someone else who liked him - let's get him to first
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, November 11, 2006, 10:25:03 »

Quote from: "mastapeaka"
Quote from: "Bedford Red"

Agree with all of that.

I agree but I do think Ossie inherited Lou's super-fit squad. After we were demoted and then reinstated, we struggled as the fitness began to wear off. We did win 4-0 at shitty that season though, so can't complain!

We struggled due to what had happened more off the field I would say. If we'd not been demoted we'd definately have stayed in the top flight at least 2 or 3 seasons. It was more the emotional stuff which meant we almost went down that season (90-91).

That's my opinion anyway.
mastapeaka

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, November 12, 2006, 11:21:09 »

Would of been nice to see the Shearer + White strike force in the old 1st Division for a year or 2. Don't reckon we'd have conceded 100 goals like 3 years later either!

Ahhh the dream.
BB12

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, November 16, 2006, 22:26:15 »

Toss up between Ardiles and Hoddle. Hoddle gets it for actually doing it on the pitch in a red shirt and scoring one of the best individual goals I've ever seen by a Town player.

And that was Sunderland at home, in case you weren't there.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: