Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Speed Awareness Course  (Read 4919 times)
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, May 1, 2015, 20:16:56 »

I got let off doing 47 in a 30 (late for work..) Same day a colleague got 3 points for 33 in a 30 about a mile away. so I don't believe the 10% thing really.

I was done the same 33 in 30.
Sorry but every reason to feel fucked off by that.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, May 1, 2015, 20:35:07 »

There are about a dozen police forces in the UK who are all signed up with some company who do the speed awareness courses.

So if you get done for speeding in an area where the local police force participate in the scheme and you happen to live in an area where your local police force also participate, then you can do a course on your door step even if you got done hundreds of miles away.

In other words, there was some one on my course in Essex who got done in Lincolnshire but because Lincs and Essex Old Bill both participate in the scheme, they could do the course in Essex.

Jan - You're saying you've been on two speed awareness courses? I thought once you'd been on one and you got done again, you wouldn't get the option a second time. The first one doesn't appear to have done much good  Cool

Duke - I got done for doing 38 in a 30 but I don't feel fucked off, I broke the speed limit - end of. I just think of all the times over the years when I did much, much worse than that but got away with it. To get done just once in over 20 years and then to get the option of a speed awareness course and no points, is a right result. We all know the rules.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, May 1, 2015, 20:49:59 »

Jan - You're saying you've been on two speed awareness courses? I thought once you'd been on one and you got done again, you wouldn't get the option a second time. The first one doesn't appear to have done much good  Cool

I got done in Southampton, urban area, in 2011, then again on the Severn bridge, just in the 50 coming up to the top. Good news was the welshies wouldn't have known about the Hampshire session, so I was offered another course.

And to be honest it has done me good, I never speed in Towns/residential areas, only on the motorway, I actually asked on the second course if they could convince me that going 80 on a motorway was that bad, and they didn't really give any good reasons.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, May 1, 2015, 22:43:10 »

Got caught in Kent...did mine in Ciren fire station.

Few years back I got done in Somerset and had to do one in bristol.

Clems Army!
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, May 2, 2015, 07:40:28 »

I got done in Southampton, urban area, in 2011, then again on the Severn bridge, just in the 50 coming up to the top. Good news was the welshies wouldn't have known about the Hampshire session, so I was offered another course.

And to be honest it has done me good, I never speed in Towns/residential areas, only on the motorway, I actually asked on the second course if they could convince me that going 80 on a motorway was that bad, and they didn't really give any good reasons.

Agree with you.
I think most offences in residential areas are where speed restrictions come down and thus you need to lower your speed.
Police camera's deliberately target these areas.
Regarding 30 in residential areas I have to say I do drive accordingly.
Motorways I am with you although if you drive past a police car say 75mph I am convinced nothing would happen and I have done this s few times.
I never drive 70 on the motorway thus I am by law always speeding. Now there is the inconsistency.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, May 2, 2015, 07:47:12 »

There are about a dozen police forces in the UK who are all signed up with some company who do the speed awareness courses.

So if you get done for speeding in an area where the local police force participate in the scheme and you happen to live in an area where your local police force also participate, then you can do a course on your door step even if you got done hundreds of miles away.

In other words, there was some one on my course in Essex who got done in Lincolnshire but because Lincs and Essex Old Bill both participate in the scheme, they could do the course in Essex.

Duke - I got done for doing 38 in a 30 but I don't feel fucked off, I broke the speed limit - end of. I just think of all the times over the years when I did much, much worse than that but got away with it. To get done just once in over 20 years and then to get the option of a speed awareness course and no points, is a right result. We all know the rules.

38 in a 30 limit is more significant than 33 in a 30.
I was always led to believe the 10% tolerance but obviously this does not apply.
Mind you I think a speed awareness course should be mandatory for a first offence with no points.

Apparently for young offenders the speed awareness course is different and more gruesome with more emphasis on real crashes.

Nice to be clean again as they say.
Do you know Jerry's mate Podge, the old boy ?
More speeding fines than anyone. He even booked 3 points against his Wife...........who was dead !!!
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, May 2, 2015, 08:08:53 »

Am I the only one here that's never been pulled for speeding?

herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, May 2, 2015, 08:14:23 »

Am I the only one here that's never been pulled for speeding?
I average around 25,000 miles a year. Everyone speeds at some point and the more miles you do, the greater the chance you'll be caught occasionally. I'm down to 3 points at the moment, which is the best I've managed for years. The thing I don't understand is moaning about it. You get caught speeding, you're in the wrong. It's pretty straightforward and nobody else's fault.

It's All Good..............
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, May 2, 2015, 08:17:56 »

Agree Hertha, I had never been been caught, but doing over 30,000 miles a year means it's gonna happen, well it will if you do speed a bit. I'll get done on the a34 soon I reckon, just a matter of time.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, May 2, 2015, 08:19:46 »

38 in a 30 limit is more significant than 33 in a 30.
I was always led to believe the 10% tolerance but obviously this does not apply.
Mind you I think a speed awareness course should be mandatory for a first offence with no points.

Apparently for young offenders the speed awareness course is different and more gruesome with more emphasis on real crashes.

Nice to be clean again as they say.
Do you know Jerry's mate Podge, the old boy ?
More speeding fines than anyone. He even booked 3 points against his Wife...........who was dead !!!
As I say, if you go over the limit you can't complain. It doesn't matter if you've only gone 'a bit' over. Just think of the times where you've done much worse and got away with it. When you think of it like that you won't feel so bad about it.

Yes I do know Podge and it doesn't surprise me Wink

I just remembered the only other time I got caught speeding. I was on my way back from the Brighton play off debacle. We were nearly home, it was well past midnight and I was on auto pilot. I was going through a small town/village and saw the blue lights in the mirror. I Pulled over and was told that everywhere in that town was a 30mph limit and I had been doing...50...oh dear. They must have just been looking for boy racers (which I clearly wasn't) as they breathalyzed me (it was negative) and sent me on my way. Now that was a result and when I think of that I don't feel bad at all about the one time I actually got done and was given the option of the SAC.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, May 2, 2015, 08:21:14 »

I average around 25,000 miles a year. Everyone speeds at some point and the more miles you do, the greater the chance you'll be caught occasionally. I'm down to 3 points at the moment, which is the best I've managed for years. The thing I don't understand is moaning about it. You get caught speeding, you're in the wrong. It's pretty straightforward and nobody else's fault.
Correct. You just have to take your medicine.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, May 2, 2015, 08:30:36 »

Spot on. Even the Coppers will tell you this.
More miles more risk. Like you I drive around 2000 miles per month.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, May 2, 2015, 08:31:58 »

Agree Hertha, I had never been been caught, but doing over 30,000 miles a year means it's gonna happen, well it will if you do speed a bit. I'll get done on the a34 soon I reckon, just a matter of time.

Beware Botley bridge going Southbound.
A favourite haunt Smiley
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, May 2, 2015, 09:36:52 »

I never drive 70 on the motorway thus I am by law always speeding. Now there is the inconsistency.
I knew a lawyer who prosecuted for the police once who believed driving at 45 in a 40 approaching a village and slowing down to 35 in the built up area, a 30, and raising your speed to 45 in the 40 on the other side of the village was three speeding offences and ban-able on the 9 penalty point limit that then applied.

Like you (assuming I judge it safe) I generally exceed the speed limit on the motorway and I presume the 60 odd motorway miles I drive to Swindon could see me clocking up scores of speeding offences - and that perhaps half of motorists could be followed on a long trip and smash the points total tally.

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, May 2, 2015, 13:34:42 »

This takes me back to when I got done. Really grated me at the time and the speed I was doing in my lorry is now legal too.
Bastards!

The course was totally inappropriate for my case and was designed for car drivers. The knowledge lacking from most of them on the course with me left me wondering how on earth they attained a license. If I got offered another one I would just take the points.
« Last Edit: Saturday, May 2, 2015, 13:42:01 by arriba » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: