Poll
Question: Which Way Are You Voting
In - 91 (62.8%)
Out - 44 (30.3%)
Shake It All About - 10 (6.9%)
Total Voters: 131

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 41   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: EU Referendum  (Read 71096 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #345 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 09:19:23 »

Yep to all that.

We're at a critical junction.  My biggest concern is that I simply do not trust Johnson, Gove et al to take the best decisions in the near future.

I feel like I belong somewhere else at the moment.
I too agree. I am dreading the cost of living going up along with the price of fuel, even short term as I am struggling to make ends meet as it is.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 09:39:37 »

The immediate danger aside from recession, is a clunking lurch to the right, as there will be a lot of leavers who'll feel betrayed when they realise immigration won't be noticably different.

Exactly right. Farage finished? He hasn't even started yet!
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #347 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 11:06:44 »

Over 1million signed a petition for a further referendum where it has to be at least 60% to leave if under 75% actually vote
Boy About Town
Pricko

Often outnumbered, never outgunned.

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #348 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 11:39:35 »

Over 1million signed a petition for a further referendum where it has to be at least 60% to leave if under 75% actually vote

That petition holds no weight whatsoever. Too many cry babies trying to take away democracy. Shall we make it a best of three referendum just for them?

Now, ain't that just like me?
adje

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 12:02:53 »

Interesting that Boris is now in no rush to trigger the irreversible mechanics of the 'Brexit'. Why would that be?

He said early on in the campaign that we should vote to leave, to then negotiate a better deal.

He has also, as recently as February, been quoted as basically being a fan of the EU.

🤔
I dont believe a word johnson says.in my opinion he's as much anti europe as corbyn is pro.it was pure opportunism on johnson's part as a way into power.thats my feeling anyway.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 12:04:12 »

What terrifies me most about the whole referendum campaign from both sides is the complete lack of factual accuracy, and apparent disregard for ones that are actually presented which has happened. Gove's quote of 'Britain is fed up with experts' is deeply troubling, and part of a general strain of anti-intellectualism that seems to be taking hold.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 12:09:10 »

Funny how we are now being told "facts" that were not mentioned before the event.for example apparently we do not have enough qualified experts to negotiate a release (radio 4 today)

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 12:13:48 »

I dont believe a word johnson says.in my opinion he's as much anti europe as corbyn is pro.it was pure opportunism on johnson's part as a way into power.thats my feeling anyway.

The whole campaign has been about the divide in the Tory party....when the Tories find a new leader, and I'm not sure that it will be Johnson, (he may have skeletons in his cupboard) there should be a General Election.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #353 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 12:45:02 »

I agree with ardiles. Something will happen that will stop us leaving. Cameron going and not signing up to leave until a successor has been found leaves a hell of a lot of wriggle room. A general election would do it. Run on an EU ticket and win and it would nullify the referendum. There are many ways not to ratify the referendum.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 12:52:50 »

What terrifies me most about the whole referendum campaign from both sides is the complete lack of factual accuracy, and apparent disregard for ones that are actually presented which has happened. Gove's quote of 'Britain is fed up with experts' is deeply troubling, and part of a general strain of anti-intellectualism that seems to be taking hold.

I think part of the problem is that they actually have no idea what is going to happen.

I think even the most optimistic of outers agree that we will have a period of financial instability (maybe even recession) until something gets sorted.

But none of them know how long & how bad that is going to be.

That's where the remain campaign suffered, they kept saying that only for their claims to be dismissed as scare mongering, but couldn't prove how bad it will get, because they (like everyone else) have no idea.

As for whether it's a done deal, doesn't have to be ratified by parliament, where the majority are against leaving.
Whilst it's unlikely that the MP's will block it (potential political suicide as the majority of the public voted out), will be interesting to see if they make the process more difficult.

sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 12:55:17 »

I'm not sure it's entirely in our hands, the EU seem keen to get rid sooner rather than later and will not be keen to provide a smooth exit as it will send the wrong message to other EU member nations.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 13:03:53 »

I see the exchange rates are up again today.

Granted, not back to where they were pre-Brexit, but better than yesterday.

E.g, Dollar was $1.22/£1 yesterday, now $1.34/£1.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 13:17:38 »

Funny how we are now being told "facts" that were not mentioned before the event.for example apparently we do not have enough qualified experts to negotiate a release (radio 4 today)

BBC did have this covered pre-vote a couple of times.

I think it would be nuts not to press ahead and negotiate the exit now.  Far too few of the Remain camp really believe in the EU end goal (it's why we keep supporting new entrants to the EU, because we think that diluting power will prevent full integration).  It pains me to say it, but we need to get out quickly now and let the majority view have it's day, otherwise all hell will break loose (markets, people, business etc.).

I do think the worry is all a little OTT as well.  I'm off to work in the USA soon, and I've been on countless holidays, and that's a country with strict immigration rules.  The EU countries that rely on tourism are hardly going to pull up their drawbridges overnight, if at all.

And, as a staunch anti Conservative, why should the person running any given party have anything to do with whether or not we should accept the decision.  The whole point of not being in the club is so that we can choose to vote for who we want and live according the democratic process in place.

Most of the UK population bemuse me at times.  I'd love to have 50%+ agree with my view on Europe, but I just accept that I am in a minority.
« Last Edit: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 13:21:34 by RobertT » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 13:19:42 »

I think part of the problem is that they actually have no idea what is going to happen.

I think even the most optimistic of outers agree that we will have a period of financial instability (maybe even recession) until something gets sorted.

But none of them know how long & how bad that is going to be.

That's where the remain campaign suffered, they kept saying that only for their claims to be dismissed as scare mongering, but couldn't prove how bad it will get, because they (like everyone else) have no idea.

As for whether it's a done deal, doesn't have to be ratified by parliament, where the majority are against leaving.
Whilst it's unlikely that the MP's will block it (potential political suicide as the majority of the public voted out), will be interesting to see if they make the process more difficult.

This is why there must be another election...so that Brexit can get MP's elected or not.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 13:19:49 »

I see the exchange rates are up again today.

Granted, not back to where they were pre-Brexit, but better than yesterday.

E.g, Dollar was $1.22/£1 yesterday, now $1.34/£1.

We are still part of the EU, my guess is that when the terms of Brexit are agreed things will start to change.

I could be wrong on that and I really hope I am but all indications are that the EU will make an example of us to prevent a flood of other 'leavers'.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 41   Go Up
Print
Jump to: