Pages: 1 ... 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 ... 146   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What's right with football?  (Read 636130 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1980 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 09:44:01 »

It was mentioned a few times on the MDT, but possibly worth the discussion here. I want to say that as a hater of timewasting/gamesmanship, I'm fully behind the more disciplined way that referees have been instructed to clamp down. In theory, the way we look to play should benefit us as big ugly cloggers that stop us unfairly can now not easily slow the game down by blocking free kicks, or rolling the ball away etc. I'm also fully behind booking keepers that take too long. (not sure how long is too long to be honest) How many times in the past had we seen teams set up for 1/3 points and use the tactic of the keeper taking over a minute to retrieve the ball and kick it up the field.

I have to say, I do think some of the yellows that have been handed out have been quite harsh. Particularly for Crewe and FGR players. By the letter of the law Kemp should have been booked last night for tapping a ball off the field when he was caught offside, but for some reason the referee let it go. Once players have got used to not doing this (for some it seems like second nature) I believe we should see less games ruined by things like the antics of the Crewe side last season.

Concur.
Felt the added on time at the WC was spot on and at club level they’d been under cooking it for years.
The yellows for the niggly stuff have been harsh but it’s probably also the best way to stamp it out.
Players are gonna have to think twice before doing those sort of things.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1981 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 11:09:18 »

Hope they book players for holding at corners

So, give no fucks
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #1982 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 21:08:00 »

Watching the league 2 and league 2 highlights from Tuesday on the tv there were some impressive midweek away turnouts. Fair play to the numbers that travel.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1983 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 21:09:55 »

Wallsall sold out the away end at Wrexham which was surprising

Port Vale had a decent turn out at Blackpool.

* IMG_4881.PNG (292.91 KB, 1203x891 - viewed 64 times.)
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 21:38:40 by Jimmy StoppedMoaning » Logged

So, give no fucks
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1984 on: Saturday, August 19, 2023, 11:35:26 »

Just watching Plymouth v Southampton. Seems an age ago Ginger Pele was firing us to the League 2 title with Plymouth behind. Just goes to show how momentum plus a well run club can achieve things.

I like Plymouth. Proper club.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1985 on: Saturday, August 19, 2023, 11:40:59 »

https://www.saddlers.co.uk/news/2023/august/peter-clarke-an-explanation-as-to-why-i-left-the-saddlers

This is great management from Mike Flynn
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #1986 on: Saturday, August 19, 2023, 12:59:19 »

That’s a great story, and really doesn’t surprise me. I can imagine him being no nonsense but way too emotionally intelligent for that to eclipse the compassionate side that story suggests he has.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1987 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 13:28:03 »

Concur.
Felt the added on time at the WC was spot on and at club level they’d been under cooking it for years.
The yellows for the niggly stuff have been harsh but it’s probably also the best way to stamp it out.
Players are gonna have to think twice before doing those sort of things.

The real tester will be when a referee should book a keeper for time wasting twice in the same game...
oxonrobin

Ignore
« Reply #1988 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 16:50:44 »

The real tester will be when a referee should book a keeper for time wasting twice in the same game...

The Arsenal red card yesterday was very soft. Had one player spend ages not take a throw. Passed it to Tomiyasu, and just before he threw the ball in the ref booked him. In that scenario the main time waster gets no sanction. His second yellow was questionable as well. No VAR or appeal on second yellow dismissals either.

This has the feel of the kind of thing that won’t really be enforced by the time we hit October. Made that game more interesting at least though.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1989 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 17:02:10 »

Are the refs clamping down on players that throw the ball a couple of yards forward just before they take a free kick.

So, give no fucks
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1990 on: Friday, September 1, 2023, 09:42:45 »

Wigan keeper Sam Tickle being called up to the U21's, not only because he has a great name but also only made his debut for Wigan in May and has played a grand total of 6 games for them!

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1991 on: Friday, September 1, 2023, 09:47:03 »

Could be worse if it was a woman - Tess would be a great first name.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1992 on: Sunday, September 3, 2023, 09:30:42 »

Now, this made me soapy tit wank

‘ Brighton 2-0 Newcastle. The Amex crowd taunt Eddie Howe with a chant of "Beheaded in the morning, you're getting beheaded in the morning"

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1993 on: Sunday, September 3, 2023, 11:42:40 »

Now, this made me soapy tit wank

‘ Brighton 2-0 Newcastle. The Amex crowd taunt Eddie Howe with a chant of "Beheaded in the morning, you're getting beheaded in the morning"

Imagine the outrage if Newcastle fans chanted anything derogatory about Brighton similar to a Notts Forest fan getting chick d out of Stamford bridge yesterday.

So, give no fucks
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1994 on: Sunday, September 3, 2023, 12:04:51 »

Quote from: Jimmy StoppedMoaning
Imagine the outrage if Newcastle fans chanted anything derogatory about Brighton similar to a Notts Forest fan getting chick d out of Stamford bridge yesterday.

I had no idea the Chelsea rent boy chant was  " was classified as a homophobic hate crime by the Crown Prosecution Service in January 2022." - hence the arrests (though you'd think they were probably warned and carried on).

not sure Forest should be charged by the FA as has been suggested by the media. Not like the club promoted it.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 ... 146   Go Up
Print
Jump to: