Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Charity Match  (Read 1681 times)
Cibocchi_Is_God

The Italian Stallion

Ignore
« on: Thursday, April 26, 2012, 10:10:51 »

Is anyone else going to this? Will be a decent spectacle and should be fun seeing Di Canio play a full 90! I see that Lee Peacock and Paul Caddis are playing, but its been pretty quiet with regards to other people playing.

Some surpise big names? Maldini? Cannavaro?  Cheesy
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, April 26, 2012, 10:13:23 »

Don't be afraid to go on the official website. It won't bite.

http://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10341~2740029,00.html

Di Canio is trying to get other 'names' too.
Cibocchi_Is_God

The Italian Stallion

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, April 26, 2012, 10:17:30 »

Woops, didnt see that! Some pretty decent names there to be fair. Looking forward to seeing Darren Anderton, will also be interesting to see how Peacock & Roberts get on considering they are pretty young still!
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, April 26, 2012, 10:20:34 »

I find watching former favourites struggle to run up and down a football pitch kind of sad.

A few years ago, I went to the Bobby Robson Trophy match and poor old Paul Gascoigne was a depressing sight. Mind you, some still showed glimpses of quality (as long as they don't run).
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 26, 2012, 10:47:46 by Costanza » Logged
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, April 26, 2012, 10:25:17 »

Went to that last one at the CG, Paul Merson, for all his booze problems, still looked a class above anybody else!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, April 26, 2012, 10:27:24 »

PAOLO ON: Playing in the charity match I like this because Swindon is involved in charity, and that is very important.

I will be playing but it is an occasion also for the people to come and see many ex footballers who played at Swindon for an important cause.

Already we have sold 600 tickets but we hope many will join us because it should be fun.

We could even have a laugh because there will be many average players playing too, and it is comic in some way.

I am trying to involve some very important names, but I can not say now.

Against my team will be a very top side, and I hope to bring some good players from Italy and England. Already one had denied to come, because John Moncur is injured.

I played a charity match at Wembley in 2008 for Soccer Aid. It was a very important cause and there were 45,000 people, and players like Romario and Shearer played.

I played 90 minutes, but I was younger obviously, and I don’t know how long I can manage.

I will try my best to play 90 minutes because there are 11 I have to manage but I have to stay on the field. There are others like Picaretta and Domenico who are rubbish so I must stay on the field.

There is an opportunity for my players if they want to blame me to come and say ‘come on, squeeze up, why don’t you move your body, why don’t you want the ball early.’ It is also a good opportunity for the fans to enjoy the moment, so please come in numbers because this is very important.

I love the bit about Picaretta and Domenico!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, April 26, 2012, 10:39:13 »

Is anyone else going to this? Will be a decent spectacle and should be fun seeing Di Canio play a full 90! I see that Lee Peacock and Paul Caddis are playing, but its been pretty quiet with regards to other people playing.

Some surpise big names? Maldini? Cannavaro?  Cheesy
Got a couple of tickets for this mainly to see Paolo and some of our ex players but it's also for a great cause.
Hoping to see a couple of surprise big name players Paolo has talked into appearing but even with the names already on the list should be entertaining.
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 26, 2012, 10:47:07 by Notts red » Logged
pericarp
is a nice chap

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, April 26, 2012, 10:40:16 »

Would go if I could.

Want to see how good Paolo is now.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, April 26, 2012, 11:03:44 »

Went to that last one at the CG, Paul Merson, for all his booze problems, still looked a class above anybody else!

And Zola was ace when he played as well.
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, April 26, 2012, 11:08:41 »

i'm going to this one, looking forward to seeing Fraser again and Micky Hazard.

I went to the Charity Match in 2000 when Hoddle played, he was still a class apart that day, and good old Chalky got a hat-trick that day, he still looked sharp up front then....
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, April 26, 2012, 11:10:04 »

And Zola was ace when he played as well.
Can you remember how many turned up to watch that one ? Think around 600 tickets have been sold so far for the 2nd but would imagine something like this will attract quite a few pay on the night people. Don't know if it's advertised in and around Swindon but haven't heard anything on Wiltshire radio or Heart, they have mentioned the party on the pitch though.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, April 26, 2012, 11:15:53 »

Can you remember how many turned up to watch that one ?

No, but it was only the Arkells that was open and definitely not full.

edit: below link says 3K+

http://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/page/Gallery/0,,10341~1602965,00.html

In fact, the legends game that Phil King organised was only a few thousand.

edit: link below 4500+

http://www.swindonweb.com/?c=1127&m=133&s=149&ss=158&t=Legends+Game
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 26, 2012, 11:19:45 by Batch » Logged
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, April 26, 2012, 11:21:49 »

No, but it was only the Arkells that was open and definitely not full.

edit: below link says 3K+

http://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/page/Gallery/0,,10341~1602965,00.html

In fact, the legends game that Phil King organised was only a few thousand.
Cheers Batch.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, April 26, 2012, 12:04:17 »

I see Oggy Hunt is on the list to play.  Are they really struggling that much for players ?!?!?!?!
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, April 26, 2012, 12:41:01 »

It has to be almost full taking out the away section, it was a nightmare finding a seat on the side near the town end. I think the don should get the call up for a 5 minute appearance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: