Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Southend United Official Matchday Thread  (Read 17433 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Monday, January 2, 2017, 17:16:07 »

Clean sheet vs a play off contender.

Stayed just above.

NEED that fresh blood.

No defeat to encourage people for Saturday's game.

We need at least 2 new players just to get back to the lack of strength that we've endured this season. 

As more or less all the other strugglers got a point, it's very much as you are....still well and truly in the mire.  THe next game up is a massive 6 pointer....it's one we simply have to win, so not ideal going into it with a much reduced squad.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Monday, January 2, 2017, 17:17:41 »

Would have thought it would be natural to play that formation WITH Thompson - then he can play RWB.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Monday, January 2, 2017, 17:25:51 »

An enjoyable 0-0 that, could've easily finished 2-2 or 3-3 given the amount of chances created by both teams.

The last 20 mins was like a cup final, end to end.

A draw a fair result and would've taken that prior to kick off.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Monday, January 2, 2017, 17:40:04 »

A frustrating, low quality game that got a bit better from the about the 65th minute. Nobody will be rubbing their hands with glee at that game.

However we have to put it into context. We worked hard and tried our best to press and frustate the opposition. All the things we as fans expect at a minimum.

Yes the defence is still dodgy, thank fuck Southend only had a couple of "run at them" moments when Ranger came on - this is where we are most vulnerable, at other times we defended well. Contradictory, well yes but that's how it is.

Going forward we were quite poor for most of the match. Norris looks good up to the box but doesn't really cause a threat in it - unless you are the Stratton Bank clock. Obika looks more threatening but fluffed his lines when they appeared.

Doughty and Goddard were starting to dictate when the latter was replaced by Hylton. Hylton himself injected pace and enthusiasm and left you wondering why he wasn't introduced sooner! Then he missed the target from the edge of the box, harsh criticism but I'm using it as an example as why I'm not convinced he'll be a Town player past this season.

So a good battling point, ugly yes, but who gives a shit about pretty football when you are just 3 points away from the zone.

We now have a bit of a problem with Kas' injured and Doughty being recalled. Yeah, we will get more players in, I know, but ...Ollie you utter turd muncher.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #64 on: Monday, January 2, 2017, 17:45:34 »

Thought the first 70 minutes were dross. The final 20 really entertaining. Yet again our midfield was shite. Thomas and Murray yet again showed why Rogers gets in the starting XI despite being shite. Branco was immense today. Seems to prefer a back 4. Vigs was brilliant. Some great saves in the 2nd half. Brophy and Goddard tried to get the ball forward. Obika was poor first half but very good in the second. Can't see why Williams thought obika and Norris linked up well as they were fucking miles apart and no midfield to fill the gap. Hilton had a great cameo 10 minutes.
Saturday is now very important.
« Last Edit: Monday, January 2, 2017, 18:01:18 by chalkies_shorts » Logged
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Monday, January 2, 2017, 17:51:44 »

Pal of mine was there and felt encouraged.

He also went to Dongs and wanted to leave at 2 zip.

BIG old game on Saturday.

Clems Army!
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Monday, January 2, 2017, 18:50:46 »

We could have easily won or lost that. Draw was fair.

Special mentions to Vigs, Norris and Furlong who played very well. Brophy gives us more on the left.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Monday, January 2, 2017, 19:28:08 »

I missed the franchise game, but today we looked a 100 times better than we did at Millwall on Boxing Day. I enjoyed the game, quite a few chances for both teams and we played with more urgency and speed than I've seen in a while.

It's All Good..............
bullethead

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Monday, January 2, 2017, 20:12:44 »

Centre halves did really well today, particularly Branco who was excellent. When NT is fit, would only consider him at right back (or even as a defensive midfielder?).
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Monday, January 2, 2017, 20:22:02 »

Centre halves did really well today, particularly Branco who was excellent. When NT is fit, would only consider him at right back (or even as a defensive midfielder?).

A good game but you do have to exclude some of Branco's horrible distribution, including a punt 30 yards away from any red shirt, a pass to no one across the face of the back four and a hopeless ball yards behind Rodgers which gave Southend a very easy chance to attack the defence. Because aside from that, he did well.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Monday, January 2, 2017, 20:43:33 »

First half I thought was poor, ref was a total cock!  Game got going a bit after an hour or so, either side could have won it on chances created but not taken.  Vigs was quite rightly in my opinion given mom for some good saves (especially the double one) but his distribution was woeful.  Plenty of energy from Town but little quality on view. Bet Williams regrets not introducing Hylton 15 mins. earlier.  Will we miss Doughty and Furlong?  Super coach was giving Barry the big one in his interview so i guess he takes over in defence on Saturday.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Monday, January 2, 2017, 21:32:03 »

Centre halves did really well today

Were excellent at heading away, tackling and blocking.

The few times Southend ran at us, we looked like we'd crumble. The defence can't cope with movement. Thankfully it wasn't exploited.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Monday, January 2, 2017, 23:24:35 »

Would have thought it would be natural to play that formation WITH Thompson - then he can play RWB.
Totally agree with this. Thompson at RB would be the way forward for me. A new experienced CB to play alongside Jones or Branco plus a LB would be 2 of the priority positions I would be looking to fill. Brophy could then be used further forward, negating him of any defensive responsibilty, & we could then afford to bin the woeful BOO.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #73 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2017, 08:24:58 »

I would rather see Nathan at RB as it is his natural position and it can't have passed Sherwood by that we do look more solid with a flat 4 rather than 3 centre backs and 2 wingbacks.

I like Brophy on the wing but he is in no way a LB so filling that spot is a priority transfer IMO with another CB, hard working CM and a quick (and or) big CF.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2017, 11:25:40 »

Does anyone else think that we make substitutes too late in games? Thomas was a passenger all game, could and probably should have been pulled off at half time?

Southend, on the other hand, were very proactive with their subs
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: