Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scottish Independence  (Read 58382 times)
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Thursday, September 18, 2014, 15:35:41 »

I had originally hoped for a landslide whatever the verdict because it'll rumble on otherwise.

Alas, if the Polls are anything to go by, it will rumble on.
Flashheart

« Reply #241 on: Thursday, September 18, 2014, 15:36:17 »

I don't know what to think about it all really other than it'll be 'a bit of a shame' if the union is broken up.

There's bound to be a lot of unhappy sweaties whatever happens though. I reckon that Alex Salmond chappie may have got himself in a bit deeper than he was thinking he would.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Thursday, September 18, 2014, 15:37:29 »

I don't think it's going to happen, Audrey.  Because Alex Salmond and that dreadful Nicola Sturgeon (it seems you have to be named after a fish to run the SNP) have left too many important questions unanswered, and so will have failed (but only just) to convince enough people to follow them into the unknown.  Either way, there are going to be a lot of unhappy people up there when the dust settles. 

Including the English when we continually have to subsidise their uni fees, etc., via the continued Barnett formula, which all three main parties have said they'll continue with as long as they say No.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Thursday, September 18, 2014, 15:38:14 »

I don't think it's going to happen, Audrey.  Because Alex Salmond and that dreadful Nicola Sturgeon (it seems you have to be named after a fish to run the SNP) have left too many important questions unanswered, and so will have failed (but only just) to convince enough people to follow them into the unknown.  Either way, there are going to be a lot of unhappy people up there when the dust settles.  

Bang on

The economy is the epicentre of everything. It comes first. Everything else is on the periphery. The proposed questions on the economy that have been put to Salmond have been avoided. If you can't have a plan in place for the economy it's a No before you even start talking about other issues.
Flashheart

« Reply #244 on: Thursday, September 18, 2014, 15:44:34 »

I read something the other day that Salmond was saying there'd be no border crossings should Scotland become independent. Is that even his (or Scotland's) decision to make?
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #245 on: Thursday, September 18, 2014, 15:47:17 »

I read something the other day that Salmond was saying there'd be no border crossings should Scotland become independent. Is that even his (or Scotland's) decision to make?

He also declared (arbitrarily) yesterday that they would be keeping the Pound!
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #246 on: Thursday, September 18, 2014, 15:56:11 »

If they do vote for independence then I hope the Orkneys, Shetlands and Outer Hebrides say that Edinburgh is too remote and they want independence.
Throwing more concessions at these bastards is not the way to go, shame on all three major parties and shame on the Barnett formula. 
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Thursday, September 18, 2014, 15:56:15 »

He also declared (arbitrarily) yesterday that they would be keeping the Pound!

A survey, a while ago, found that the people of Panama were the happiest on the planet...now this despite relative poverty in material terms.  The Panamanians use the $, although not in a currency union....and are free to use whatever currency they wish. Similarly the Sweaties, could opt for using the £, without a currency union and still be a happy bunch.

Ironically, it was the failed Darian project, in what is now Panama, which fucked the Sweaties and brought about our neighbourly offer of a union, to stave off famine and pestilence there. Time for a good old fashioned return to conflict with our norvern neighbours.
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #248 on: Thursday, September 18, 2014, 16:01:11 »

Reg, if the 'Yes' vote wins the day and we then become the "Former United Kingdom", will that mean that we all become FUKers?  Smiley
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Thursday, September 18, 2014, 16:05:13 »

You would think so.  But I know a number of (usually) very rational people who will have voted Yes today, and believe firmly that the economics of separation will not be a problem.  A common view is that concerns raised by the No side are nothing more than scare stories; that there are billions of barrels of oil waiting to be extracted from Scottish waters in the North Sea; that the Continuing UK will have no option to agree to a full monetary/currency union and that the inventiveness of the Scottish people will assure a rosy economic future.

What seems fairly certain to most down here (ie that separation will require massive up-front costs on both sides and carry with it a far greater level of economic risk) is viewed as little more than a footnote in the argument to many in Scotland.  And for that reason, I’m not particularly optimistic about the result.  Far too close to call.

Keeping my fingers crossed today.  Division is not a positive.   And, if it happens, I would guess that in the years ahead will come to be seen as a historic mistake/wrong turn.  The closer the result gets, the more I find I’m getting irritated by the prospect that my wife and I could have different nationalities/passports etc. in the years ahead.  It’s an emotional, rather than practical, matter.  Plenty of couples live and deal with it.  But to have a situation imposed on you - with even my wife (the Scottish half of the relationship) not being able to vote/have a say - feels wrong.  Fingers crossed.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #250 on: Thursday, September 18, 2014, 16:08:08 »

Major mistake if they vote yes. At the moment they can blame England for all their troubles. If they vote for independence they'll be losing their scapegoat.

It's All Good..............
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Thursday, September 18, 2014, 16:11:42 »

Reg, if the 'Yes' vote wins the day and we then become the "Former United Kingdom", will that mean that we all become FUKers?  Smiley

Richard Osman, wont be happy, as Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia is one of his favourites....2 Formers, surely a step too far.
Flashheart

« Reply #252 on: Thursday, September 18, 2014, 16:13:29 »

I know some quite smart Scots that are voting 'yes' because they wish to not be under control from the Torys.

A sentiment that most here are likely to empathise with but it does seem rather short sighted. So you freeeeeedomed yourself from Westminster..... now what?
kerry red

« Reply #253 on: Thursday, September 18, 2014, 16:15:06 »

A survey, a while ago, found that the people of Panama were the happiest on the planet...now this despite relative poverty in material terms.  The Panamanians use the $, although not in a currency union....and are free to use whatever currency they wish. Similarly the Sweaties, could opt for using the £, without a currency union and still be a happy bunch.

Ironically, it was the failed Darian project, in what is now Panama, which fucked the Sweaties and brought about our neighbourly offer of a union, to stave off famine and pestilence there. Time for a good old fashioned return to conflict with our norvern neighbours.

Nothing stopping them using the pound.

BUT it will, of course, not be backed by the Bank of England. They would have to sort out their own guarantees which would be in the region of £20 billion.
Flashheart

« Reply #254 on: Thursday, September 18, 2014, 16:17:28 »

Nothing stopping them using the pound.

BUT it will, of course, not be backed by the Bank of England.

In which case, it would not be 'THE' pound.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: