Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: David Bronco LaneDecember  (Read 1548 times)
leefer

Ignore
« on: Thursday, July 23, 2009, 20:43:26 »

December 1988 prog..Bradford v Swindon..line ups(dont know the score arriba!)

Bradford
Paul Tomlinson
Brian Mitchell
Karl Goddard
Ian Banks
Gavin Oliver
Dave Evans(that one?)
Leigh Palin
Lee Sinnott
Ian(beanpole)Ormondroyd
Mick Kenedy
Mark Leonard..........Swindon line up

Digby
Hockaday
King
Mark Jones
Parkin
Calderwood
Foley
White
Henry
Mclaren
Dave Geddis.

In the Brad prog they had past players...Bronco Layne i was aware got in trouble in the sixties for match fixing..what i didnt realise was how good a goal scorer he was.
Starting at Rotherham Swindon signed him in 1959..he became a big hero for Town fans scoring 28 in 41.
Bradford signed himmhe scored 44 in 65.
Moving onto Sheff Wednesday at a higher level he banged in 52 in 74 games!!!
By this time he was only 24 years old...but older pros Jimmy Gauld,Tony Kay and Peter Swan dragged Layne into match fixing one game for big money..indeed Swan and Kay were ex England Internationals..his punishment was 3 months prison and a life ban from football.
At 24 a brilliant career was finished and no doubt many fans in Yorkshire and Swindon saddened and shocked that a former hero had ended up like this.
Later in life when asked why....he said it was my only mistake in life and ironically in the match in Question had scored to equalise
122 in 175 is hell of a record..even for them days.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, July 25, 2009, 12:05:20 »

I went to that game. Did it end 2-2? Geddis got one I seem to remember. And were we by any chance 2-1 up with 5 mins to go? I think we might have been. Roll Eyes

I never knew Bronco Lane played for us. That is an amazing socring record, for us and in general.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, July 25, 2009, 12:16:07 »

I remember my dad telling me about Bronco Layne, he said he was a great footballer for us.

He watched him score that 7 goals in 1 game for the reserves back in the late 50's and said he could have easily played at a higher level than he did.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: