Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Zidane & Makelele back for France...  (Read 2134 times)
Dazzza

« on: Wednesday, August 3, 2005, 23:00:07 »

Both have ended their early retirement as France struggle for qualification for the World Cup.

I have never agreed with this trend of retiring early from International Football to prolong a club career.  Given the amount of cash these players earn it seems a little selfish not to give something back especially when in a lot of cases they are still getting paid for the privilege.

Shearer being a prime example.  Nothing wrong with going out on top but when you still have a few good years left it’s a waste I tell you.

Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, August 3, 2005, 23:01:26 »

Shearer did go out too early, and wouldn't be surprised if he regrets it now.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, August 3, 2005, 23:06:23 »

Shearer went out at the right time......remember he was remorselessly slagged, by people who said stuff like we should get that Emile Heskey in.
Dazzza

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, August 3, 2005, 23:09:02 »

I'll always have a soft spot for that Heskey after the Germany game.

Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, August 3, 2005, 23:10:43 »

That game was one of the best ever, he did play well that night.

Don't agree with you about Shearer Reg, I think it's good in a way that players go out at their best so people remember them for that, but he could have played for England for another couple of years at least.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, August 3, 2005, 23:13:32 »

When you get slagged off not only by the media, but by the fans , then its time to go which Shearer did....that they may be wrong doesn't invalidate the decision.
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, August 3, 2005, 23:17:42 »

I have to admit I don't remember all the slagging off he got, but seeing as your memory is better than mine, and most others on here I will have to think you're right.

Going up to France 98 he was doing fine for England, I can't remember enough about qualifying for Euro 2000 under Hoddle and Keegan, I would presume his scoring record wasn't good in those games? which resulted in the slagging off he got. Daft really, shows what the media and the fans knew.
Dazzza

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, August 3, 2005, 23:32:04 »

The Germany game was one of my favourites of all time.

I was out in Thailand had just watched the Irish knock out the Dutch and there was just a sea of desolate Orange.  Normally like the Dutch but they had been a real arrogance about them before the game and it was a treat to see them so gutted.

Standing on the beach we gathered for the Germany game.  When that first goal went in you could cut the atmosphere with a knife.

The handful of Germans left at the end of the game trooped off heads held low.  

Different class.

Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, August 3, 2005, 23:39:17 »

I used to watch most of England's games before wembley shut and there was one Euro 2000 qualifier in which Shearer was poor and he had been on poor form for the last couple of England games too, a lot of people were saying he should be dropped and he did get slagged off by the media and Keegan was criticised for picking him.  Many people were saying he was "past it".

I thought it was harsh as though he was on bad form for England, he wasn't that bad.

Have a look at this page, most people seemed to think Shearer was right to retire at the time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/euro2000/sportstalk/803971.stm

Some of the comments sound ridiculous now, eg. time to replace Shearer with Fowler and Phillips so they can lead the front line at the 2006 world cup.
CARTMAN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, August 4, 2005, 01:19:40 »

i'm very 50/50 on this. shearer did retire too early, but i remember england in euro 92 and the sorry sight of gary lineker being hauled off mid-way through his last game  Sad , it was a disappointing end to a wonderful england player. getting out so people remember you as a legend is fine, but you have to make sure your retiring for the right reasons (robbie savage is a good example) only to return a year or so later
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, August 4, 2005, 20:13:31 »

Shearer went through a bad spell purely because he had alot of injuries and missed almost 2 whole seasons....

That fact he can still do it shows that he had plenty left
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #11 on: Thursday, August 4, 2005, 20:18:09 »

Shearer was always one that underperformed in qualifying and did brilliantly in the competitions. I feel he retired too early
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: