Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Broadband and phone line help  (Read 10130 times)
Talk Talk

« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 18:50:20 »

TalkTalk cocked up my switch-over date internally

Why is everybody getting on my back over this? Look, I'm sorry, ok?
[email protected]

Want to change my name as this email doesn't exist

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 19:05:45 »

Appology accepted - just don't do it again!
Barry Scott

« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 21:28:36 »

Bazza - I found with Virgin that if you try and talk to the CS or technical support monkeys then you won't get anywhere. I spoke to someone within retentions (they don't have a complaints department  Roll Eyes) and the girl there was very helpful.

I still reckon you've got a problem with your line somewhere.

Cheer, i'll have a word tomorrow. I have fucked about and got 700kbps (on some shitty Netgear 'G' router which is annoying when i have a near new 'N' router). Having any BB though, if you've been without BB for as long as i have, is like mainlining a sweet batch of smack. Despite it being fucking slow and shit, being online for longer than a few minutes, is making me properly happy. Cheesy

I also reckon i have a problem with the line, but everybody in almost every industry these days plays pass the buck and trying to get straight answers about this is like speaking japanese.

With regards to waving internet penises about, didn't magicroundabout, as if impersonating an internet Dion Dublin, get something out of his internet pants resembling a pig with no legs? 100MB if i remember correctly.
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 21:45:49 »

as if impersonating an internet Dion Dublin, get something out of his internet pants resembling a pig with no legs?

hahahah

fucking ace Bazza !
Dazzza

« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 22:46:45 »

Have you had a proper line test done yet Bazzza and been told what distance you are from your serving exchange and the quality of your line?

Like you’ve already sussed your lines fucked somewhere between your master socket and the exchange.  A bog standard line test will tell you the distance from the exchange and the overall quality of your line.

If you fire a phone into the master socket can you hear any noise or clicking on the line?

It’s also worth seeing what the neighbours or getting or if they’ve left routers unsecured have a gander yourself!  That might highlight a wider issue with the area.

Finally, just a stupid one.  Do you see any variation with the weather as it could be a wet joint in the cab?

Barry Scott

« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 17:58:44 »

Yeah, i'm about 4 miles from the exchange. They've also said the line quality is good. I've had 3 Openreach engineers over this year and only one found a problem, which he fixed. He said the line from my flat to the next junction box was problematic. He changed the pairs, twice, and the final pair he said was fine.

He immediately connected at 3mb, as did i on my router. Within an hour, everything was back to as it was. SHIT. AS. FUCK. Adsl just goes missing, the router can't find it, and then it comes back. There's also nothing to suggest the weather has anything to do with it.

Seems last night I was busy counting my chickens. It's barely been able to sustain a connection for longer than a few minutes since last night. So in a rage i decided to phone virgin again, i got through to a properly nice chap, who patiently listened to everything i said, and he said, go in the Yellow pages and get an engineer to recable it, or slip some cash to an Openreach engineer.

He explained that the intermittent problem of adsl disappearing altogether, along with the phone taking it down and the fact the other 2 pairs in the cable are shot, seems to imply the cable is fucked.

I'm glad he suggested yellow pages, because this is a suggestion i like. No waiting for openreach, no fucking about. Bish Bash Bosh. Gingers crossed. Smiley
stfcinbmth

« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 18:50:23 »

What model is the "shitty G Netgear" Barry

Anyhow there is some nice custom tweakable firmware here if your model is compatible. Might be worth a play, especially on a long line like yours

http://dgteam.tk/
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 18:55:34 by stfcinbmth » Logged
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 20:11:32 »

Gingers crossed...hee hee
Barry Scott

« Reply #53 on: Thursday, March 25, 2010, 18:46:54 »

Gingers crossed...hee hee

Haha, didn't notice i'd done that. Cheesy

@stfcinbmth - I've no idea, i'm not too worried now because i've no plans to use the Netgear, i'll just sell it on eBay. It's the standard white one that you see everywhere. Not shitty, really, just free and therefore inferior to the one i spent money on. Smiley

I spoke to Virgin again last night and the another rather nice chap said, don't get an engineer yourself, we'll send one out because we're responsible for the cabling up to the test socket. This is great news, and also a bit fucking annoying, because TalkTalk never provided such useful info, while acknowlegding the cabling seems fucked and it's there responsibility.

Hopefully, give it a week and an engineer who doesn't mind a bit oh hardwork, can fit me some new cable. Cheesy
stfcinbmth

« Reply #54 on: Saturday, March 27, 2010, 18:50:15 »

With that firmware it will be a lot better(if compatable)

Don't flog it Barry, it's always handy to have a spare
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Saturday, March 27, 2010, 19:29:28 »

I'm happy, it seems the Blunsdon exchange is on for FTTC later this year, should get over 20 meg if I go for that!
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Sunday, March 28, 2010, 09:02:16 »

My exchange is due for FTTC this summer, just in time for when my 12 month contract ends Smiley
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #57 on: Sunday, March 28, 2010, 09:42:25 »

That'll happen in summer 2012 then
Barry Scott

« Reply #58 on: Sunday, March 28, 2010, 10:11:11 »

I'm happy, it seems the Blunsdon exchange is on for FTTC later this year, should get over 20 meg if I go for that!

Yay! Although I expect it to be delayed again. I've been following progress on the upgrade like a Hawk, seeing as my BB is always fucked and presumed it was because it needed an upgrade. It has been rescheduled 3 times now i believe (if it's the same upgrade) the first being in March 2008 from recollection.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Sunday, March 28, 2010, 10:29:42 »

Yay! Although I expect it to be delayed again. I've been following progress on the upgrade like a Hawk, seeing as my BB is always fucked and presumed it was because it needed an upgrade. It has been rescheduled 3 times now i believe (if it's the same upgrade) the first being in March 2008 from recollection.

I bet its the loop from the cabinet to your house that is stuffed though Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: