Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Wigan Match Day Thread  (Read 25462 times)
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 20:41:24 »

Calmed down a bit now, but that was a poor performance against a strong side - we never attempted really to match them.  Too many players idling around allowing Wigan to seize control all over the pitch.  No pace and no real cohesion and unable to string three passes together - at least to a player in a red shirt!  That said, Wigan were a real team who came out determined not to slip up against us but once our soft underbelly of a defence was found out in the first half for their first goal the writing was on the wall.  Obika was a real big miss, if he is out for a few games we are going to miss him more than you can imagine.  Think I would have given Cooke a run out when he took Hylton off - at least he has a physical presence.  Will revert to a 4-4-2 for Scunny but I fear for us!!
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 20:44:42 »

Who will be the 2nd striker in that formation though?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 20:48:47 »

Possibly Michael Smith or Jordan Stewart but as both are out on loan maybe Robert?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 20:52:08 »

Think you've got to stick with Hylton....it's tough for the lad, he probably needs a run of games to have any chance of getting up to speed.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #124 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 20:56:42 »

Maybe it's time to abandon the 3 at the back with NT as a sweeper and move him to right back.

He does a lot of the flashy stuff well, the bringing the ball out and the surging runs but we still leak goals. NT gets caught out too much as the last man and how many red cards has he picked up as Sweeper?

I wonder if Lingy had NT fit under his management if he would have put him to right back. As RB  he could still have influence going forward and push on either overlapping or coming into the middle.

I don't think it will happen as Williams is too wedded to 3-5-2 but maybe it's time for a change and Brad Barry might benefit from a rest.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 20:59:03 »

Was hugely impressed with Wigan - they were powerful, quick to close us down and pretty clinical. That said we made the job very easy for them, didn't move the ball quick enough and gifted the ball to them for most of their goals.

We're a way off being good enough, but got to stick at it. Dont quite know how Wigan aren't top?!

Fair play to the Town End who kept chanting when 4-0 down, maybe saved it from a mauling
Flashheart

« Reply #126 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 20:59:14 »

HIM!
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 21:02:51 »

They weren't very good, we were just abysmal from the minute the goal went in. It wasn't poor defending, there was NO defending.

The Thompsons were our only credit, and I can't blame Belford for anything. Other than that it was "one of those days" where messi could have come on and only hoof it at the keeper.

Fans were great, pretty decent officials, and Wigan fans seem like a good bunch.
On to the next one. We're not going up and we're not going down. Let's hope there are some lessons learnt.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 21:03:23 »

This is interesting. Ajose rarely misses the target with a shot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/top-scorers
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 21:04:47 »

HIM!

What the scandanavian heavy metal guy? Guess he'll be better than Hylton anyway.
inept and tiresome

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 21:12:04 »

They weren't very good, we were just abysmal from the minute the goal went in. It wasn't poor defending, there was NO defending.

The Thompsons were our only credit, and I can't blame Belford for anything. Other than that it was "one of those days" where messi could have come on and only hoof it at the keeper.

Fans were great, pretty decent officials, and Wigan fans seem like a good bunch.
On to the next one. We're not going up and we're not going down. Let's hope there are some lessons learnt.
At last someone has seen the same game as me. We made Wigan look good, this must of been their easiest win of the season.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 21:12:14 »

Think you've got to stick with Hylton....it's tough for the lad, he probably needs a run of games to have any chance of getting up to speed.
Problem is though Reg we have no physical presence in the final third without the Beak, maybe start Hylton and see what happens but give Cooke a run out if things haven't worked out - he will give us some physicality even if a bit raw!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 21:18:25 »

Problem is though Reg we have no physical presence in the final third without the Beak, maybe start Hylton and see what happens but give Cooke a run out if things haven't worked out - he will give us some physicality even if a bit raw!

I know. No idea if Cooke is up to it, as haven't seen him play since his couple of cameos almost a year back, he didn't seem to do much in his loan spells.

The main problem is if we can't play out from the back, because the opposition press, and our defenders aren't prepared to take the risk, then the hoof up to SJO does provide a bit of an outlet.

No point doing it if Hylton and Ajose are up there, so needs a rethink.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 21:22:43 »

I feel that if Mr Power is being truthful in wishing to get us to the championship he should look at that result today and after analysis come to the conclusion that to be successful we need more physical presence on the pitch - look at the way our players were brushed off the ball today - and make that a priority for next season.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 21:29:35 »

I feel that if Mr Power is being truthful in wishing to get us to the championship he should look at that result today and after analysis come to the conclusion that to be successful we need more physical presence on the pitch - look at the way our players were brushed off the ball today - and make that a priority for next season.

You can have big blokes who are pussies and little-uns who are terriers.

Let's face it Wigan will win the league and have a wage bill about x5 ours, so it's hardly surprising they were significantly better than us.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: