Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New mobile phone  (Read 52735 times)
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Wednesday, May 26, 2010, 13:22:34 »

No need for a separate MP3 player or Camera... everything i want or need is in one device, in my pocket.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #151 on: Wednesday, May 26, 2010, 13:41:36 »

I'm assumnig that benefits of the smartphone are that you can access email and browse the interest as and when you want to, what other benefits are there ?

You can do that on non-smartphones but if I compare my old non-smartphone to the Desire, the Desire works more like a mini-computer and the C905 was cumbersome and felt like a diet version. Internet browsing for example - on the C905 (non-smartphone) the pages were really stripped down, squashed and it was a chore to try and scroll the page around. On recent smartphones you can move the page around with your fingers, zoom into specific things or the entire page and it'll justify it within your screen size.

I find it pretty handy to be able to view my work planner on my phone, which is in the form of an excel document, but my phone can read office docs and pdfs. This also saves me updating my calendar for absolutely everything work related.

Speaking of which, as my calendar is synced to my google account it updates for changes automatically (both ways). With a mind to wanting world cup fixtures in there, I found a calendar to import into google by just entering a url into the 'add calendar via link/url/somethingorother' on my google calendar and it appeared. Saves me from messing about importing csv files into outlook/lotus notes as I have had to do so in the past.

Smartphones also have apps for stuff. Forgetting the usual stuff like Facebook and Twitter there are plenty to download and use. Most of them won't enrich your life, but it does make it easier. An ebay application is much easier than using the website for example, or I have an app which is a tv guide and I can set reminders at the click of a button to watch (if you have sky+ I think you can get ones to remotely set up something to record).

It's basically just an expensive geek toy (don't let iPhone users persuade you otherwise). But mobiles themselves were expensive geek toys 15 years ago. Now they're the norm and smartphones are rising in popularity now too.
LucienSanchez

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Wednesday, May 26, 2010, 14:21:34 »

Is there a Sky+ and eBay app on Android?

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Wednesday, May 26, 2010, 14:37:24 »

I must admit I use the internet periodically now mostly to check scores while I'm out of at HT and it is a pain navigating, Vodafone tell em on line I can upgrade next week - I thought it wasn't until about Sept / Oct, so I'll see what deal they wil ldone the one of the HTC's I think next week, they did phone me a few months ago and told me what a special customer I was and how they would look after me...standard bullshit  Smiley we shall soon see last time I got quite a few freebies and about 3 or 4 months free line rental for staying with them do all deals now come with unlimited internet browsing for internet and emails ?

How easy is it to get used to texting using the screen rather than a keypad as I do text a lot ?
lambourn red

« Reply #154 on: Wednesday, May 26, 2010, 16:08:29 »

Got my works HTC Desire last Friday what a peice of kit, I showed it to my mate who has had an Iphone for a while and the first thing he did was go straight on the tinternet to see how much they were.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Thursday, May 27, 2010, 07:38:38 »

How long typicaly do the battery's last if your not playing with it all day ?
lambourn red

« Reply #156 on: Thursday, May 27, 2010, 08:20:47 »

How long typicaly do the battery's last if your not playing with it all day ?

The battery life is not too good but I have not done any research I am pretty sure if the Wifi and gprs/3G settings were correct then it would be a lot better. It seems to last about 2 days although any lengthy internet surfing or video playing drains it.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #157 on: Thursday, May 27, 2010, 08:31:16 »

I've got an HTC touch + and the battery lasts about 4 days if you turn off the wireless and bluetooth etc. 36 hours with it all on.
LucienSanchez

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Thursday, May 27, 2010, 09:26:24 »

I have to say, i've only had my Desire for about 12 hours, but it is brilliant... getting used to it still compared to the iPhone, but it's excellent. Facebook hasn't worked all day today, but i'm not overly bothered about that, as i'm sure it's just a glitch.

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #159 on: Thursday, May 27, 2010, 09:42:26 »

My facebook isn't working either but Friend Stream appears ok if you really need facebook access.

Search for Sky+ in the market, there are a few apps that apparently do it. I'll have a look on tinterweb at some point to see what the best one is.

There's not an official ebay app, but Pkt Auctions Ebay does a decent enough job.

Get yourself to http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/ for finding out some stuff, hints & tips thread stickied at the top is the best place to start.

stfcinbmth

« Reply #160 on: Thursday, May 27, 2010, 10:09:07 »

Must admit I'm tempted by the Desire, getting a bit bored with my Pearl
lambourn red

« Reply #161 on: Thursday, May 27, 2010, 12:19:42 »

Doubletwist is a must for any new Desire owners http://www.doubletwist.com/cure/ it is Itunes for android. Dragged an MP4 of last king of scotland into it and it synched it down converted it on the fly.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Thursday, May 27, 2010, 14:47:54 »

So what is the differences between the Legend & Desire other than size of the phone / screen ?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #163 on: Thursday, May 27, 2010, 14:55:55 »

Desire has a faster processor and more RAM too I think
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Thursday, May 27, 2010, 15:13:18 »

I'm thinking of the Legend as it is smaller and easier to fit in your pocket I reckon - depends what deal vodafone are prepared to do as I only want another £18 month deal and I'm not interested in paying anymore than £25 a month - but the HTC phones seem to be the phone to get, can't upgrade until next Weds so I will wait until then and see if I get offered a better deal by phoning them or going into the shop.....
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: