Pages: 1 ... 2048 2049 2050 [2051] 2052 2053 2054 ... 3979   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 9000826 times)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #30750 on: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 08:48:31 »

Alan Nixon has a story on us tomorrow, presumably transfer news.

Found nothing in The Sun on Sunday. Though busy on Twitter and claiming we’re after Hallam Hope from Carlisle.
« Last Edit: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 08:53:40 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
Old_Town_Red

Ignore
« Reply #30751 on: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 09:11:16 »

Alan Nixon saying we’re bidding for Hope at Carlisle. 15 goals in total last season.

Good to see we’re linked with a few strikers. From memory that’s now:

Hope
Doyle
Yates
Robinson

Be interesting how many are true and come off.

Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #30752 on: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 09:35:45 »

Could be a busy week ahead of incoming faces.
« Last Edit: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 10:51:50 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #30753 on: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 10:48:44 »

He also reckons we’re still working on Doyle - that sounds like a decent front 2 to me.

Not sure where it leaves Anderson and/or Woolery.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #30754 on: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 10:52:22 »

He also reckons we’re still working on Doyle - that sounds like a decent front 2 to me.

Not sure where it leaves Anderson and/or Woolery.

Sanding the bench with their arses?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #30755 on: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 10:59:58 »

Sanding the bench with their arses?
If both could improve their shooting or their final ball then both will be good enough to play much higher, as it is both are good earners and probably too good/pricey to stay on the bench.

1 could well leave that is of course if we do indeed sign 2 attacking players.

But saying that, Devitt would (if it is him) fill the Bennett role and Doyle (if it is him) fill the Theo Robinson role.

If Bennett and Robinson do not agree to returns, which would leave us man for man the same as we ended the season personel wise, negating the need for 1 or both to be sold.

It is though all currently pie in the sky until the club announce the player/s with the "scarf over head" pose. But it is good to make wild guesses as to new arrivals at this point in time, even if our targets are of a generally lower standard (same division move) than they were under say PdC.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #30756 on: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 11:12:29 »

The fact we are being actively mentioned in dispatches on social media if not so much mainstream media to half decent players that augers well for the recruitment process v the previous two season ho hum hey ho affairs.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #30757 on: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 11:20:20 »

The fact we are being actively mentioned in dispatches on social media if not so much mainstream media to half decent players that augers well for the recruitment process v the previous two season ho hum hey ho affairs.
Indeed, there is rarely smoke without fire as they say, but just because we are linked in the press probably has little bearing on actuality. But its good for the fans for us to be linked with these players, we will probably never even know if we were in for them unless we actually complete their signings though.

It could be the Clayton Donaldson scenario again, a player we publically said we were after but in actual fact we were nowhere near signing him in reality.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #30758 on: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 11:53:24 »

this seems far more believable than the Brentford trio guff and other 'no chance' rumours.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #30759 on: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 13:45:10 »

Indeed, there is rarely smoke without fire as they say, but just because we are linked in the press probably has little bearing on actuality. But its good for the fans for us to be linked with these players, we will probably never even know if we were in for them unless we actually complete their signings though.

It could be the Clayton Donaldson scenario again, a player we publically said we were after but in actual fact we were nowhere near signing him in reality.

True enough. That said, there is a much bigger picture to this seasons recruitment don’t you think?

Put yourself in powers shoes. He it would be fair to say has more £ than probably all the TEF members give or take a few quid 😁 You have been in control of a club for five years with a stated championship objective within the five years and that so, so nearly happened. So where are we now five years later? Instead of soaring to the dizzy heights of mid table respectability in the championship we, well, we, errr um fell a bit short didn’t we? Not only that but have had five managers and served up some of the most dire football since the Ken Beamish era.

Now, in conjunction with the trust 🤞 he will part own an asset worth £2m+ with a potential of what? That depends on what they collectively put in place of what there is now to not only make the place more fan friendly but earn extra £’s from off the field activities. But that costs money, money it is clear he either has not got or has but not felt benevolent enough to spend to achieve his ahem, five year objective. That clearly has to change if he’s as stated got a *two year exit plan. Again as I have said many times it comes down to money. No use bitching about Salford, FGR etc, as there not going to give a fuck about us going forward, we either run with the foxes or get mauled by the hounds. Power and the trust have to invest first and that means the players. The players on field success means increased income. I am rather hopeful that this could be the start of another Macari div 4 to the PL type era journey.

* He let that slip in an interview just before the last game I think against Notts Co.
« Last Edit: Sunday, June 9, 2019, 14:09:12 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #30760 on: Monday, June 10, 2019, 00:02:18 »

I'm sure someone will facilitate a happy ending.

I hope he doesn't palm one off, coming cumming here?

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Peter Venkman

« Reply #30761 on: Monday, June 10, 2019, 09:26:39 »

Again as I have said many times it comes down to money. No use bitching about Salford, FGR etc, as there not going to give a fuck about us going forward, we either run with the foxes or get mauled by the hounds. Power and the trust have to invest first and that means the players. The players on field success means increased income. I am rather hopeful that this could be the start of another Macari div 4 to the PL type era journey.
It is indeed down to financial clout, something we don't have a lot of right now but we do ok for the position we are in the league.

Every new manager that comes in I hope will emulate the great Lou Macari in getting us out of this division and the one above.

I would like to think that Wellens has enough about him and us as a team to at least challenge for the play offs at least this coming season, and on the performances since RW came in there is enough there to see that could happen.

43 points gained in 29 games or 43 points in 28 games if you discount the Carlisle game which he had little influence over having been in charge 2 days before - would, over the season, work out at 70.6 points, Newport got in the play offs on 71 points.

I am confident that RW will bring in what is needed to turn some of those 11 draws he got into wins as we badly needed a striker who could hit the net, we hopefully will have that this coming season.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #30762 on: Monday, June 10, 2019, 09:54:55 »

43 points gained in 29 games or 43 points in 28 games if you discount the Carlisle game which he had little influence over having been in charge 2 days before - would, over the season, work out at 70.6 points, Newport got in the play offs on 71 points.

We should be aiming for autos... OK in Div 4 you can get a PO spot, having a moderately successful season, Newport couldn't even manage a positive GD. 

I think fans would like to see some evidence of intent from Power, look like we're constructing a squad of the sort of Div 4 hardened talent that is needed.

We know its early days and we know we don't recruit until the end of June to avoid paying wages, but even that is a problem, because we've become used to drift in addressing the problems of recruitment pre season, so have come to expect a wing and a prayer approach.  It doesn't play well as to the casual fan, it just looks like more of the same.... construct a squad which should have enough about it to stay up and then hope for the best.

That perception needs to be put to bed in the coming weeks... Wellens needs to deliver on his thing about STFC looking like a proper club again, and not just some blokes turning up for appearances sake.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #30763 on: Monday, June 10, 2019, 10:04:41 »

We know its early days and we know we don't recruit until the end of June to avoid paying wages, but even that is a problem, because we've become used to drift in addressing the problems of recruitment pre season, so have come to expect a wing and a prayer approach.  It doesn't play well as to the casual fan, it just looks like more of the same.... construct a squad which should have enough about it to stay up and then hope for the best.
No player will be paid wages by Swindon until after their contracts expire at their previous clubs on the last day of June so any player we sign before then will still be paid by the players previous contract until expiration on 30th June each season, unless they were free agents released before the end of the season.
That perception needs to be put to bed in the coming weeks... Wellens needs to deliver on his thing about STFC looking like a proper club again, and not just some blokes turning up for appearances sake.
Absolutely we need to sign good players, and yes we should be aiming for autos, but my point I was making is that with the right signings we will be pushing for autos whereas with the previous squad, most of which was inherited and not his players by choice, with a similar run of results would probably make the play offs.

Panda Paws

« Reply #30764 on: Monday, June 10, 2019, 10:15:17 »

General consensus is we are offering good money and good contract lengths this summer, which is why we're being linked with players who are wanted by others.

These rumours have come to nothing yet, but the vibe is that we are trying to compete, a little more than last year any way.
Pages: 1 ... 2048 2049 2050 [2051] 2052 2053 2054 ... 3979   Go Up
Print
Jump to: