Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: the good old days  (Read 7171 times)
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2005, 20:49:28 »

£50??? i don't think you can put a price on them! the tapes are quite old now so we hardly ever play them! i might stick them onto dvd some day though!

please put them onto DVD. this would be shear class as i think '87 is when i started watching the town.
did we beat the scum 3.0 that year with shearer bagging a penalty at the bank

kaufman

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, January 31, 2012, 00:20:34 »

How times have moved on, I don't swear as much when i type i know that.
stfc.co.uk has a lot of those goals on their site now. Just looking for the Wegerle goal

THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, January 31, 2012, 00:41:52 »

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/

Has a great archive and loads of stats, it would be great to see a few more news clips and fans opinions.

As for Darras he was last seen playing for A.S. RED STAR 93 no idea if he's still there or not, must be close to retirement if he is.

http://www.redstar93.fr/homepage.asp?flash=y

hate to upset you mate but Darras is no longer with us...

Clems Army!
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, January 31, 2012, 01:44:08 »

yeah but he was when Dazzza made the post in February 2005.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, January 31, 2012, 08:54:50 »

I have a shed load of tapes from the early 80's myself havent got round to watching them for about 15 years, covering games from 82 onwards till around 93 with almost all the swindon HTV and points west highlights and also the match of the day/goals on Sunday games, if I can be bothered to get them onto PC I will upload a few of them, like Paul Rideout's debut game against Hull (81/82?) when he hit the bar from about 40 yards etc at the moment I cant be assed with it.

A few points from the original post....

Dave Bamber played in the top division for Coventry and their fans loved him but the management didn't.

Jon Gittens £400k....I would pay that all day, other than Taylor and Calderwood he was the most solid defender we have ever had in my time of following Swindon.

Jimmy Quinn, not actually lazy in games at all, always running around but boy did he have a fantastic shot and a good header of the ball.

Bobby Barnes, brilliantly skilled player, played at the highest level with West Ham but lacked consistancy but on his day was almost international level....now chairman of the PFA or somthing like that.

Macari often used to punch Foley to sober the fucker up, often played drunk and such a waste of talent.

Tim Flowers and Shay Given, 2 awesome keepers, Flowers never produced his best form while on loan to us, but Given did...excellent.

Swindon 6-0 Stoke what a wierd game, Town fans were singing Kamaras name most of the game, still a cult hero of mine and all time fave Swindon player, Stoke were terrible that day.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, March 12, 2012, 21:52:51 »

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/

Has a great archive and loads of stats, it would be great to see a few more news clips and fans opinions.

As for Darras he was last seen playing for A.S. RED STAR 93 no idea if he's still there or not, must be close to retirement if he is.

http://www.redstar93.fr/homepage.asp?flash=y
I moved to France in 1998 and Frédéric Darras joined Red Star not long afterwards, having been released by McMahon. As they were my local team at the time I started going to watch them and they have remained my French team ever since. Mind you I've moved away since then and don't get the opportunity to see them much nowadays (the last occasion being in the French Cup against Marseille at the Stade de France earlier this year). Philippe Cuervo also played for Red Star a few years later, incidentally (as well as Tony "horse's arse" Cascarino). I know he wasn't a great favourite at Swindon (or Red Star come to that) but I always rated him and thought he was quite a classy player. He was certainly a cut above the rest of the Red Star team at the time (they were in the French 2nd Division at the time with crowds of under 2000 - it sure makes you appreciate English football watching some of the crap I've watched). It was such a sad loss when he died. Really nice bloke........

« Last Edit: Monday, March 12, 2012, 22:27:59 by Exiled Bob » Logged
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, March 12, 2012, 22:15:51 »

I have a shed load of tapes from the early 80's myself havent got round to watching them for about 15 years, covering games from 82 onwards till around 93 with almost all the swindon HTV and points west highlights and also the match of the day/goals on Sunday games, if I can be bothered to get them onto PC I will upload a few of them, like Paul Rideout's debut game against Hull (81/82?) when he hit the bar from about 40 yards etc at the moment I cant be assed with it.

A few points from the original post....

Dave Bamber played in the top division for Coventry and their fans loved him but the management didn't.

Jon Gittens £400k....I would pay that all day, other than Taylor and Calderwood he was the most solid defender we have ever had in my time of following Swindon.

Jimmy Quinn, not actually lazy in games at all, always running around but boy did he have a fantastic shot and a good header of the ball.

Bobby Barnes, brilliantly skilled player, played at the highest level with West Ham but lacked consistancy but on his day was almost international level....now chairman of the PFA or somthing like that.

Macari often used to punch Foley to sober the fucker up, often played drunk and such a waste of talent.

Tim Flowers and Shay Given, 2 awesome keepers, Flowers never produced his best form while on loan to us, but Given did...excellent.

Swindon 6-0 Stoke what a wierd game, Town fans were singing Kamaras name most of the game, still a cult hero of mine and all time fave Swindon player, Stoke were terrible that day.

Fuck yeah JJ, they were probably my peak years of 30 games a season for that period there. Cant remember most of them though Smiley
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, March 12, 2012, 22:24:19 »

I have similar copies of video tapes going back over the same period.
If anyone has the ability to transfer to DVD then they are welcome to them (for a copy).

Bambi was a fucking legend, he seemed to be able to fold his legs away.
Anyone else remember little Bambs (Roy Wegerle) playing for us.
I remember going to a night game at Hull when they both scored (2 each if I remember) in a 4-1 win.

So many great memories outside of the cup runs & play-offs.
Foley's goals against Leicester in a 5-2 (?) win that kept us up, MacLaren's goal at Birmingham from fucking miles out.  Leicester away at Filbert Street when we always seemed to have someone sent off.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, March 12, 2012, 22:27:03 »

Rideout scored a wonder goal on his debut but it was disallowed (for offside against another player if I recall correctly - back in the days when offside was offside whether the player was interfering with play or not....). The goal was similar to the one that he had scored for England boys against Scotland not long before.

He did score on his debut though, with a header I think. The game was also memorable for me because my all time favourite Swindon player, Kenny Stroud scored as well.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, March 12, 2012, 22:37:32 »

Remember going Up to Spurs in 1980 for an FA cup replay, there was an accident on the north circular and loads of Swindon fans couldn't get in, some managed to force open a gate and just charged through before the stewards managed to get the gate closed again leaving plenty more fans outside. We were one nil up until the last 5 or so minutes, Armstrong came on for them and scored two to put us out. Hoddle and Ardiles were both playing that night for a really good Spurs side.
« Last Edit: Monday, March 12, 2012, 22:39:12 by Notts red » Logged
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, March 12, 2012, 22:53:57 »

What was unbelieveable during that period in the mid and late 1980's was the talent that Lou Macari found and turned into great players for us and then went on for big moves which ended up keeping the club afloat no doubt. Think of some of the players he signed like the Fridge, Shearer, the original Alan Mac, Zippy Bodin, John Gittens and Phil King were sold on for hundreds of thousands and Fraser at his peak could have been a million pound keeper.

The other testament to the Lou era is the fitness he installed into those players gave some of the really long careers well into their mid 30s (Bambi, Kammy, Fraser and the Fridge) and some even into their 40's like Chalky White and Jimmy Quinn.

Whilst, I love the excitement PDC is generating, Lou did this with no money, no crowds in the early days and no hype. If PDC can take us from Div Two to the Championship play offs in 5 years only then could you say he has equalled those acheivements.
Swindon-Town-FC.co.uk

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, March 12, 2012, 23:39:14 »

I have similar copies of video tapes going back over the same period.
If anyone has the ability to transfer to DVD then they are welcome to them (for a copy).

I will gladly convert anything you have to DVD for you if I can take a copy for myself - have swapped footage a few times and I've now got a collection of well over 200 STFC DVD's.  Contents are all listed here:  http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/TVFootageDisc.asp

Most of the stuff from the late eighties and early nineties is pretty well covered - particularly interested in anything that anyone has got from prior to that or mid-1990's through to 2007.... and especially the Oxford and Peterborough games from 2001!!
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2012, 08:24:08 »

I will gladly convert anything you have to DVD for you if I can take a copy for myself - have swapped footage a few times and I've now got a collection of well over 200 STFC DVD's.  Contents are all listed here:  http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/TVFootageDisc.asp

I'm not sure what is on them, most of it was recorded from the local news program's.

If you PM me your address, I will send them to you.
NZrobin

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2012, 08:33:27 »

Have you lot gotten nothing better to do  Huh??

Put me down for copies pleaseeee     Embarrassed
Wilf Shergold

« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2012, 08:56:31 »

MacLaren's goal at Birmingham from fucking miles out.

In off the bar, bloody rocket of a shot. There was a strange atmosphere that evening - just a few days after Hillsborough, Brum in decline, the whole area reeked of menace. I went down to the front of the terrace when I saw the fencing was locked. I said to the steward in view of what happened at Sheffield, didn't he think it a good idea to unlock the gate? Two word answer, the 2nd was 'off'.

We were one nil up until the last 5 or so minutes, Armstrong came on for them and scored two to put us out.

My memory of that is Armstrong was on from the start but was getting abuse from the crowd right through the game - the Spurs fans wanted him replaced at half-time. They were (are?) a terrible crowd if they didn't like a player. Lou took off Ian Miller, I think, for a more defensive Bryan Hamilton. Cue 2 goals from the now-superhero Armstrong.

If people want to know why we hate the Pikeys so much (apart from the CG ruckus), it was Hamilton who was elbowed by Brian Yeo on the half way line at Pikey Central. We had a corner at the time, so all the footy action was 50 yards away, but it was right in front of me and the linesman who chose to ignore the assault.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: