Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Port Vale Official Matchday Thread  (Read 35552 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Tuesday, August 18, 2015, 22:17:18 »

In fact, looking at the league and the financing of some clubs, you could have us in the bottom 6 or so.  Vale are similar to us this year, they publicly suggested as much and teams like Colchester and Rochdale may be the same, but there are some "smaller" clubs with decent money being chucked in on top of gate revenue, like Peterborough and teams like Crewe get decent youth funding.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Tuesday, August 18, 2015, 22:26:16 »

In fact, looking at the league and the financing of some clubs, you could have us in the bottom 6 or so.  Vale are similar to us this year, they publicly suggested as much and teams like Colchester and Rochdale may be the same, but there are some "smaller" clubs with decent money being chucked in on top of gate revenue, like Peterborough and teams like Crewe get decent youth funding.
Bury, Scunthorpe and Fleetwood are all having external funds pumped in so we probably are near the bottom in terms of budget.
With catering sold what is are turnover, £2.5m from tickets, and another £500k from sponsorship and what not. Budget can only be 50% of turnover is it so that means we top out around the £1.5m mark which would be amongst the lowest....
digby

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2015, 00:33:45 »

Thoughts on the game.....
-
They didn't look capable of creating anything for themselves, and only scored with help from us for both of their goals- got to stop gifting them and giving away penalties.
- a reasonable performance, at least turned up for both halves and some slick passing moves BUT thought there was far too much backwards-sideways backwards-sideways passing and all too often slowed down play far too much after promising breaks. I'm in favour of possession football but it has to have a purpose, an end product.
- We were far too negative after taking the lead and defended too deep. Against such poor opposition we were more than capable of extending our lead and saving us from having to defend and sweat it out for the last 15 minutes,  with the resultant outcome !
- Robert was by far the best player on the pitch and looked class. Rogers was both villain and hero. Smith huffed and puffed but did very little of note (400 K ? Kerching !!) 
- I'm getting tired/fed up writing this so will end by saying the Ref was a complete Tosser BUT punching the ball like that was ridiculous, should always play to the whistle - gave them a very undeserved share of the points - Gotta learn from that and finish teams off to prevent crap from happening !
Skinny Pete

« Reply #153 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2015, 04:00:49 »

Thought we defended well as a unit last night. Sure, there will always be those now familiar individual mistakes but we weren't all over the place generally.

Great to see Branco really upping his game - no stupid fouls and, I think, no bookings. Very impressive.
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2015, 05:44:26 »

Thought we defended well as a unit last night. Sure, there will always be those now familiar individual mistakes but we weren't all over the place generally.

Great to see Branco really upping his game - no stupid fouls and, I think, no bookings. Very impressive.

Their player did go straight through him for the goal though.

http://www.skysports.com/footballleague/championship/video/9955856/swindon-2-2-port-vale

Looks like Williams with the handball.

According to the PV forum, Radio Stoke had it down as a definite penalty for a push on their player who ended up in the side netting.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 19, 2015, 06:18:44 by BruceChatwin » Logged
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2015, 06:18:23 »

In fact, looking at the league and the financing of some clubs, you could have us in the bottom 6 or so.  Vale are similar to us this year, they publicly suggested as much and teams like Colchester and Rochdale may be the same, but there are some "smaller" clubs with decent money being chucked in on top of gate revenue, like Peterborough and teams like Crewe get decent youth funding.
But I thought that was precisely what clubs could not do these days? How does that work? If they are still able to do that, it makes a nonsense of the 60% of turnover rule (or however much it is).

Re. the penalty, regardless of the referee's parentage, the most basic of schoolboy errors is to not play to the whistle which is what has happened there . And never touch the ball with your hand unless you're taking a throw in. Simples innit!
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2015, 07:06:40 »

According to the PV forum, Radio Stoke had it down as a definite penalty for a push on their player who ended up in the side netting.

Alas, this one appears to be a learning curve for Jordan Williams.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 19, 2015, 12:49:53 by Costanza » Logged
Chrystovski

« Reply #157 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2015, 07:22:33 »

Don't forget the £4 million we received in player sales for Gladwin\Luongo. Which as a result should mean we have one of the larger budgets in the division.

I'd like to know where this money has gone and why we are not in a position to sign any more players until someone else has left. We seemingly have a smaller playing squad and with big earners like Ward, Foderingham & Williams all released our wage budget should also be smaller. Financially we are in a much better position than 2-3 years ago so why is Power as tight as a ducks a***?

I'm not saying go crazy and spend every penny we have but we should surely be able to match the squad size we had last season???
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2015, 07:50:37 »

Don't forget the £4 million we received in player sales for Gladwin\Luongo. Which as a result should mean we have one of the larger budgets in the division.

I'd like to know where this money has gone and why we are not in a position to sign any more players until someone else has left. We seemingly have a smaller playing squad and with big earners like Ward, Foderingham & Williams all released our wage budget should also be smaller. Financially we are in a much better position than 2-3 years ago so why is Power as tight as a ducks a***?

I'm not saying go crazy and spend every penny we have but we should surely be able to match the squad size we had last season???

You missed all the money we're spending on a new training ground then? That's where the money received is going (which also won't be all up front etc. etc.)
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2015, 07:52:38 »

We are a selling club. Most L1 and below clubs are. The money we get goes into running the club.

It annoys me when people think that cos we sell a player for x million, we should have x million to spend. Get a reality check.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2015, 07:56:07 »

It's not a 4m lump. And if it were then it would have been sunk into the new training ground and repaying Power for the hunks of money he has had to throw at the club since taking over. That is fair enough to me.

We're operating on an even, stable keel. That is more than we have been for god knows how many years. If it means a season of mediocrity before we can build the team again then I'm happy with that. Our early form is convincingly good enough that I don't think we're going to be worried about a bottom half finish. Frankly if we cut out some of the silly defensive mistakes and stop giving away posession cheaply we could well end up in the playoffs again. We need a couple more signings, true, but Power is not the guy to throw money away. He'll bide his time and wait for the right player at the right price.
Flashheart

« Reply #161 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2015, 07:59:42 »

I can't even be bothered to answer such questions.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2015, 08:18:06 »

Play the whistle...

Head the thing out....

Clems Army!
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2015, 08:19:29 »

Did He get booked for it? Deliberate handball. Could have been sent off.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2015, 08:38:39 »

Bollocks last minute goals always bring back nightmares of times when we seem to let them in nearly every game - penalties have to be stopped but definitely enough class in this young side - Power has based his budget on 7k so he should be happy - football is entertaining so hope this continues but it is Swindon... - Smith needs to be off loaded for as much cash as possible - keep the faith - I am....

Bathtime
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: