Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trialist Charlie Austin  (Read 70721 times)
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Saturday, September 19, 2009, 19:10:33 »

Was talking to a guy yesterday who was asst manager at one of his previous clubs, he reckons he's definately League one standard, and if handled right could go higher. Also said he's a really nice guy, he was saying he almost went to Reading last year, but they couldn't make their minds up, so he signed for Poole
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Saturday, September 19, 2009, 20:12:47 »

Was talking to a guy yesterday who was asst manager at one of his previous clubs, he reckons he's definately League one standard, and if handled right could go higher. Also said he's a really nice guy, he was saying he almost went to Reading last year, but they couldn't make their minds up, so he signed for Poole
It'd be quite nice if he signed for us and did well. Then we could rub Reading's noses in it as we pass them in the footballing ladder!
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Saturday, September 19, 2009, 20:14:19 »

he'd also at least be a striker contracted to us and not on loan...
dell boy

« Reply #48 on: Saturday, September 19, 2009, 21:10:35 »

he'd also at least be a striker contracted to us and not on loan...

Good point.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Saturday, September 19, 2009, 22:01:40 »

Wouldn't he be on loan until the transfer window opens?

So if we sign Austin and also Revell, we'd only then really need 1 more striker to complete the squad: The direct replacement for Cox.

OOooo I can't wait.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Saturday, September 19, 2009, 22:17:41 »

Also said he's a really nice guy

That's the most important thing.

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Saturday, September 19, 2009, 22:20:20 »

if he's contracted to us and turns out to be shit then it's a waste of time.what is key is that he's good enough to play, or at least push for a place.if not then fuck him off
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Saturday, September 19, 2009, 22:47:47 »

Maybe it's exclusive to Non-Leaguers - we can call this one "Stone Cold" Charlie Austin Smiley
Stoney
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Saturday, September 19, 2009, 23:38:30 »

I've heard Huddersfield have made a bid.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Saturday, September 19, 2009, 23:56:06 »

On a Poole forum there is talk that the fee would be £15k plus sell on plus a friendly. Not sure how much it should be but I reckon we shouldn't risk any more than £10k upfront with the rest fixed payments based on performance - you have to bear in mind just how far down the pyramid they are....

The division Poole play in is 6 levels below League 1 and when you take all the individual leagues in to account there is a massive 300 clubs between our league positions along with 300 clubs playing at the same level as them. Which I'd say makes them a lot closer to Sunday League pub football than they are to the Football League.

I don't see any other clubs lining up for him either, he's been in the spotlight for some time due to Bournemouth wanting to sign him and we're the only club that has been interested as far as I'm aware.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Sunday, September 20, 2009, 00:56:30 »

I don't see any other clubs lining up for him either, he's been in the spotlight for some time due to Bournemouth wanting to sign him and we're the only club that has been interested as far as I'm aware.
And with your network of scouts/agents/ex-pros working for you, you'd be in a position to tell if there was other interest, obviously. Look, I've got no idea whether this bloke's any good, you've got no idea either and nor has anyone else on here. So here's an idea - why not let our manager who has made a career out of making such decisions, has seen the lad play, and does have a network of scouts working for him, make the decision?

I know it's a wild stab in the dark, but personally I'd be quite happy for Danny Wilson to do all the hard work and agonising over whether the lad's good enough. Then if he plays him on Saturday and he doesn't get a hat-trick in the first 10 minutes, we can all start off a lively chorus of "What a waste of money" and "Checked him on CM, you should have checked him on CM, checked him on CeeeeeEeeeeeM"
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #56 on: Sunday, September 20, 2009, 08:56:37 »

None of these punts has come off for about 20+ years so it's about time one did.

Lou Macari was the last man to pluck players from non league and polish them.

Peter Coyne Hyde United being one...although he'd played a bit of football league.

Zippy was scratching around with Bath City...then to Newport when we picked him up.

Colin Gordon was with Oldbury United....and The Badger (Brian Wade) I think Trowbridge.

Some really good players there, they all had the belly for a fight and wanted to be pro's, the desire to make it seems to have gone a bit now, when a player joins a club they seem to automatically become "Billy Big Balls" wahoo I have made it....when they havent, I understand that was a little of Marshalls attitude last season and why DW took a dislike to the lad, apparently his attitude has changed this year.

Never heard Wadey called "The Badger" but every player should have a nickname! Wade never lasted long with us, only a couple of seasons before signing for Swansea and Brighton but he was a lovely lad and had a great attitude after signing from Trowbridge "I never known a night like it" interview after the promotion against Chester sticks in my mind.

Colin Gordon was another that had such a huge desire to play pro football and had a pretty good career after leaving us at Leicester, Fulham, Reading and others and is now something to do with the PFA and football agents or something.

If Charlie has the desire to succeed as these lads that Reg mentions then he will do well.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Sunday, September 20, 2009, 12:40:12 »

Why don't our players have nicknames anymore?

Wheres Zippy, Chalkie, Stumpy, Animal when you need them?

Although, its only me that has probably ever called him it.

We have G squared or G-Unit in defence...
[email protected]

Want to change my name as this email doesn't exist

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2009, 10:45:41 »

Looks like a deal is in the offing.....

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/4640812.Reeves__pledge_as_Robins_close_in_on_Austin/?ref=rss
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, September 22, 2009, 11:42:48 »

Off topic completely, but I want to see if it's worth making a separate thread for: In that article, I noticed this "New Milton goalkeepers Sam Webb and Dan Loader, who are dual registered with VT FC and Eastleigh respectively, are included in the Linnets squad for their home clash against Totton and Eling (7.45pm). "

I'm guessing this is the same practice they have in Italy? Or is it something exclusive to the lower leagues? Thought it was interesting at any rate.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: