Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Do You Drink & Drive?  (Read 7872 times)
JPC82

« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, June 3, 2008, 15:40:50 »

Quote from: "Bushey Boy"
9 years ago worked for some city type pricks, drove my mums 4 x 4 back after 2 and a half pints.  Step dad sat me through 3 hours of fire videos from accidents and never will do it again.  

I get the piss taken out of me for drinking shandy! Then again I lose my license and I lose everyything

i drink Pepsi when driving and i get taken the piss out of, i couldnt give a shit really, i still wont drink and drive
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, June 3, 2008, 15:42:58 »

Quote from: "flammableBen"
Ace. Speeding pisses me off.

par example -
link

edited link so it didn't break the forum on my crappy laptop - fB
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, June 3, 2008, 15:43:40 »

I've done it once. About 3am and I'd had a rare up with the missus so I just got in the car and drove off.

If it's just a normal night out then I'll get a lift / taxi / bus.
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, June 3, 2008, 15:48:55 »

Quote from: "Boeta"

par example - link

I just tried reading that.

fuck me it was dull

Was the conclusion that fast cars are cool?
flammableBen

« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, June 3, 2008, 15:55:32 »

Quote from: "Colin Todd"

par example - link

fuck me it was dull

I had a brief look and it seemed to be more about the action of government intervention against stuff than speeding itself. I didn't read very far though, so I don't know if it came out in favour of the "nanny state". I might have a proper look later.

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, June 3, 2008, 15:55:48 »

i'll have 2 pints of shandy or 1 lager but no more.and deffo no stella or kroney.
you were lucky dell boy as you were deffo over the limit
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, June 3, 2008, 16:02:50 »

par example - link

fuck me it was dull

I had a brief look and it seemed to be more about the action of government intervention against stuff than speeding itself. I didn't read very far though, so I don't know if it came out in favour of the "nanny state". I might have a proper look later.

it first considers paternalism and perceived legitimacy in general, and then about five pages down it considers it in specific relation to speeding

essentially, changing the perceived legitimacy of drink driving has lead to a decrease, and if the same could occur for speeding then more lives would be saved. however, there are problems with changing public opinions - one of them highlighted by arriba's thread where people think (often rightly so) that speed cameras are more of a revenue-generating mechanism than a life-saver
flammableBen

« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, June 3, 2008, 16:06:31 »

par example - link

fuck me it was dull

it first considers paternalism and perceived legitimacy in general, and then about five pages down it considers it in specific relation to speeding

essentially, changing the perceived legitimacy of drink driving has lead to a decrease, and if the same could occur for speeding then more lives would be saved. however, there are problems with changing public opinions - one of them highlighted by arriba's thread where people think (often rightly so) that speed cameras are more of a revenue-generating mechanism than a life-saver

I think I asked on the other thread but I'm not sure I got an answer. But speed cameras can't be that much of a revenue gatherer in the big government scale, can they? The revenue argument never seems to make a lot of sense.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, June 3, 2008, 16:10:15 »

par example - link

fuck me it was dull

I think I asked on the other thread but I'm not sure I got an answer. But speed cameras can't be that much of a revenue gatherer in the big government scale, can they? The revenue argument never seems to make a lot of sense.

true, but questions are asked when cameras are put in places with a higher incidence of speeding, but not in places with very high incidence of causalties
flammableBen

« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, June 3, 2008, 16:18:41 »

true, but questions are asked when cameras are put in places with a higher incidence of speeding, but not in places with very high incidence of causalties

But then not all casualties are caused my speed. If it's a place where the casualties are caused by people crossing over blind corners or something then a speed camera wouldn't directly solve that.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, June 3, 2008, 16:34:00 »

I don't think it's a generatioinal thing at all....more of an idiot thing.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, June 3, 2008, 16:35:04 »

Quote from: "dell boy"
So none of you have drank over the top then driven, sorry don't believe you oh rightous posters.

I never have. seriously.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, June 3, 2008, 16:42:14 »

I admin, im sure when i have been drinking and have work the next morning im prob still over the limit sometimes, but as for going to the pub drinking 10 pints then driving home, no. If i intend on drinking i leave my car at home, if i drive i wont drink.

My old man used to tell me stories of back in the 60s/70's it was pretty common to go to oxford for a night out drink 10/15 pints and then drive home.
genf_stfc

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, June 3, 2008, 17:00:06 »

It strikes me as one where I'm sure they would love you to believe that - i've heard the argument that revenue from speed cameras can only be spent on more speed cameras, but the number of cameras was always going to increase, so this frees up more money in the treasury for new kitchens for MPs or something.

the mobile cameras, the sneaky ones round corners, or the ones on what look like 40mph roads but with a 30mph sign under a bush somewhere - even the 60 quid you get for parking 2h5mins in a 2hour space have nowt to do with public safety.  The fact its its a lot easier to fine this sort of thing with no real contact with the accused - and drivers are a likely target that can probably afford to pay up - than it is to do things that would really benefit the public; i.e. to  check up on scratters breaching their ASBOs and then have to pay someone to actually deal with them and, shock, have them want a trial or something equally expensive.

Similarly with pissed up cunts on the road - unless you are speeding too, there isn't much you can do with cameras, it needs coppers in a car to pull you over and breathalise you - which is expensive and not 100% succesful.  Thats not to say speeding isn't wrong, but to me there are some situations where the risk is acceptable, and its a lot less reprehensible than driving whilst impaired.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, June 3, 2008, 17:01:50 »

Of course it's a generation thing. When my dad first got his license, it wasn't even against the law to drink-drive in this country. Of course there were probably 15% of the cars on the road back then.

I, unfortunately, have driven in some ridiculous states. The first time i was off my rocker on beans and my mrs at the time had a medical emergency that required us to be at home immediately, so she could get her medecine. In my naive younger state i decided that i got away with it once...

etcetcetc.

Anyways, I decided if i couldn't be trusted not to drink and drive then i really ought not to be driving at all. I got a job within walking distance of my house and gave my car to afore-mentioned girl.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: