Pages: 1 ... 207 208 209 [210] 211 212 213 ... 560   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Managerial Merry-go-round 2021-2022; sack, shuffle, repeat  (Read 2007238 times)
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #3135 on: Saturday, December 5, 2015, 11:26:26 »

I used area a bit liberally Smiley

Firstly we lived near the town centre in Basingstoke. Its reputation was very much deserved when we I moved there - depressing 60's concrete shithole. But they knocked most of the centre down and put up a new shopping centre called Festival Place.

Then we moved to a place called Tadley - marginally closer to Reading. Again (it may have been done before Basingstoke) but the infrastructure changes in Reading around the Madjetski and the building of the Oracle shopping centre improved Reading massively - from average/Swindon style shithole to somewhere we went to shop.

Similar transformations occurred in Swansea starting in 95, and continuing much more recently.

Just goes to show what a complete and utter failure SBC have been over the years. Though the cinema/morrisons/food bit is at last a start.

Reading lost a lot of its soul when they built the oracle imo. Then again I hate shopping. Only thing that would improve Tadley is a nuke. Coincidentally its sited in the right place for one.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #3136 on: Saturday, December 5, 2015, 12:09:15 »

Reading is a hell hole bar the town centre. Its the opposite to Swindon.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #3137 on: Saturday, December 5, 2015, 12:13:03 »

Whereabouts did you live there?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3138 on: Saturday, December 5, 2015, 12:50:07 »

Reading lost a lot of its soul when they built the oracle imo. Then again I hate shopping. Only thing that would improve Tadley is a nuke. Coincidentally its sited in the right place for one.

Our "radiation leak" pamphlet still makes me smile. Not sure the kids having three eyes is linked.

Aesthetically its no Cotswold villiage for sure, but we had our first kid not long after moving there. It was fine, supermarket and a  decent indian within walking distance - what more do you need Smiley

« Last Edit: Saturday, December 5, 2015, 12:56:44 by Batch » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3139 on: Saturday, December 5, 2015, 12:53:02 »

Surely there's more to life than shopping?  I know it's a controversial view for the early 21st Century.....

Well obviously. I fucking hate shopping.   Reading got better infrastructure though its still shit to get into at times.

The new shopping centre, cinema and restaurant complex made a big difference to the Basingstoke's sphere of influence though. Nobody would ever go into the town by choice before. Surely its better to have people coming to the town for whatever reason than, well, look at Aldershot.

Plus it was nice for our flat sale price.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #3140 on: Saturday, December 5, 2015, 15:09:04 »

Clough gets Burton gig.

Clems Army!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #3141 on: Saturday, December 5, 2015, 16:03:32 »

Just goes to show what a complete and utter failure SBC have been over the years. Though the cinema/morrisons/food bit is at last a start.

Amen.  We are mid way between Reading and Guildford and use both for shopping and the occasional night out etc.  Reading is streets ahead of Swindon.  Not even on the same page.  The Oracle, the Madejski and the new route up from J11 to the town centre all came along at about the same time about 15 years ago and gave the place a real shot in the arm.  Swindon, meanwhile, sat still and did nothing.  The ship has sailed, sadly.

The Oracle is a little sterile, I'll agree.  But it's well integrated with the Victorian heart of Reading and the River Kennet.  And there are still some fantastic pubs in the town centre as well.
Red and Proud

Ignore
« Reply #3142 on: Saturday, December 5, 2015, 18:30:43 »

Amen.  We are mid way between Reading and Guildford and use both for shopping and the occasional night out etc.  Reading is streets ahead of Swindon.  Not even on the same page.  The Oracle, the Madejski and the new route up from J11 to the town centre all came along at about the same time about 15 years ago and gave the place a real shot in the arm.  Swindon, meanwhile, sat still and did nothing.  The ship has sailed, sadly.

The Oracle is a little sterile, I'll agree.  But it's well integrated with the Victorian heart of Reading and the River Kennet.  And there are still some fantastic pubs in the town centre as well.
My lad is in his final year at UOR, loves the place.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #3143 on: Saturday, December 5, 2015, 19:09:46 »

I've been in a lot of pubs as you know. I reckon 3 of my top 5 ever are in Reading. Purple Turtle, Turks head, and the Hook and Tackle. Don't know if any of them still survive? I know the turtle moved so probably isn't as good now.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #3144 on: Saturday, December 5, 2015, 19:30:57 »

I've been in a lot of pubs as you know. I reckon 3 of my top 5 ever are in Reading. Purple Turtle, Turks head, and the Hook and Tackle. Don't know if any of them still survive? I know the turtle moved so probably isn't as good now.

The Hobgoblin on Broad Street used to be in my Top Five.  It's been renamed now, but it's essentially the same inside.  Classic pub.

I'll use this as a useful excuse to resurrect this old thread:

Your Five Favourite Pubs
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #3145 on: Saturday, December 5, 2015, 20:08:40 »

Purple turtle is a fucking dive!
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #3146 on: Saturday, December 5, 2015, 20:10:45 »

I used area a bit liberally Smiley

Firstly we lived near the town centre in Basingstoke. Its reputation was very much deserved when we I moved there - depressing 60's concrete shithole. But they knocked most of the centre down and put up a new shopping centre called Festival Place.

Then we moved to a place called Tadley - marginally closer to Reading. Again (it may have been done before Basingstoke) but the infrastructure changes in Reading around the Madjetski and the building of the Oracle shopping centre improved Reading massively - from average/Swindon style shithole to somewhere we went to shop.

Similar transformations occurred in Swansea starting in 95, and continuing much more recently.

Agree Re SBC. They really missed the boat.

I'm moving to the west side of Reading in a month or so. Did look at Wokingham (apparently the happiest place in the UK!) but decided on Reading itself.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #3147 on: Sunday, December 6, 2015, 08:48:36 »

Purple turtle is a fucking dive!

You been in lately Tails? It really has been smartened up, particularly the back bit outside. It's still not the ritz but it's definitely an improvement.

Sutton - Turks Head is round the corner from my office and still there. Hook and Tackle was closed for quite a while and has recently reopened (I've not been in).

Ardiles - Hobgoblin is now called The Ale House after Wychwood got the dog on (as they brew a beer of that name). I like the quirkyness rather than the beer or the welcome. Prefer the Allied Arms or The Nags Head off the Oxford Road myself.

Blimey, I've turned this thread into Trip Advisor.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #3148 on: Sunday, December 6, 2015, 18:36:52 »

Nigel Clough gets the Burton job. Again.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #3149 on: Sunday, December 6, 2015, 20:30:07 »

You been in lately Tails? It really has been smartened up, particularly the back bit outside. It's still not the ritz but it's definitely an improvement.

Sutton - Turks Head is round the corner from my office and still there. Hook and Tackle was closed for quite a while and has recently reopened (I've not been in).

Ardiles - Hobgoblin is now called The Ale House after Wychwood got the dog on (as they brew a beer of that name). I like the quirkyness rather than the beer or the welcome. Prefer the Allied Arms or The Nags Head off the Oxford Road myself.

Blimey, I've turned this thread into Trip Advisor.

I haven't actually mate no. Like the music generally but a bit of a hole. I'll give it a go next time I'm about, but generally head to Pavlovs Dog if I'm around there.
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 209 [210] 211 212 213 ... 560   Go Up
Print
Jump to: