Pages: 1 ... 272 273 274 [275] 276 277 278 ... 341   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 'Who's snuffed it now?'  (Read 1383434 times)
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #4110 on: Sunday, February 20, 2022, 10:53:19 »

I was never a fan. He was a scummer pure and simple. My memory of him playing for us may be blinkered but all I can remember is him being crap bar a few games. He had it there but didn't produce it in a red shirt. There's a reason we bought him for 10 times what we sold him for and it wasn't because he was in form. My most reviled player in a town shirt. I don't think I've ever been as enraged as when he scored against us at scumville. I enjoyed the kicking he got when he returned.
Saying all that it's desperately sad he's gone and the way it happened. It's not a nice way for those close that are still here. I would not like to have been in his head.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #4111 on: Sunday, February 20, 2022, 11:17:36 »

As I remember his stint here also.
Formed a very good understanding with Fjørtoft as well.

Really feel for his family, devastating for them.

Fjortoft posting on twitter

‘ My former teammate at Swindon Town, Joey Beauchamp, has died.
One of those players every striker loved to play with.
A good and kind lad too.
RIP 🙏’
Mr Stevens

Ignore
« Reply #4112 on: Sunday, February 20, 2022, 11:55:01 »

I was never a fan. He was a scummer pure and simple. My memory of him playing for us may be blinkered but all I can remember is him being crap bar a few games. He had it there but didn't produce it in a red shirt. There's a reason we bought him for 10 times what we sold him for and it wasn't because he was in form. My most reviled player in a town shirt. I don't think I've ever been as enraged as when he scored against us at scumville. I enjoyed the kicking he got when he returned.
Saying all that it's desperately sad he's gone and the way it happened. It's not a nice way for those close that are still here. I would not like to have been in his head.

I don't know if your opening paragraph is absolutely necessary. It's like writing an obituary but only detailing the bad things. Never really shared the hatred of Oxford though when Bristol City are in the world (although I'm glad they're in it too).

Take your chips and fuck off home.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #4113 on: Sunday, February 20, 2022, 13:27:15 »

Good post.

Joey was an extremely talented footballer who, by and large, underperformed whilst here.  To sanitise Joey's STFC days is in fact to diminish his legacy as an OUFC fans' legend.  Joey undrerperforming here and costing us a packet only embellished his "Oxford-only" talent.  

He couldn't help but display his talent at times, often leading to chants from his admirers of Super, Super Joe.  Super, super Joe.  Super Joey Beauchamp.  I recall scuffles breaking out between those STFC chanters and STFC fans who took exception.

One infamous chant - not even the very worst about an Oxford player -brought little credit to STFC but there is no point sugar coating the then toxicity of the A420 rivalry and Joey's innocent part in stoking it further.

Joey loved Oxford and it loved Joey.  I think all fans (of a few years' devotion) understand what it is to achieve legend status at a club.  It is a tragedy to have shone so brightly and left so prematurely.  RIP you gifted little bugger.

« Last Edit: Sunday, February 20, 2022, 13:31:45 by RedRag » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4114 on: Sunday, February 20, 2022, 14:02:24 »

Quote from: DiV
Joey was always a scummer. His career before us and after us showed that (if we needed anymore proof) and he was always the pantomime villain after that (aren’t they all in football anyway)

I’ve enjoyed shouting abuse at him. I’ve enjoyed singing countless anti Joey songs down the years and I enjoy that video of our players kicking the crap out of him at the CG. The same way he no doubt enjoyed scoring against us.

Still naturally sad that he’s gone and left behind friends and family. He’ll never be forgotten by the Town fans for a number of reason. Some good, some bad (purely in a footballing context) but we’ll all still smile when we reminisce about them.

exactly. He was Oxford. That O X F.. song really does highlight it. It's kind of a compliment to him though isn't it, sick song aside I can't think of any other Oxford players that get sung about nearly 20 years later.

But that's just football. As it should be.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #4115 on: Sunday, February 20, 2022, 14:14:24 »

exactly. He was Oxford. That O X F.. song really does highlight it. It's kind of a compliment to him though isn't it, sick song aside I can't think of any other Oxford players that get sung about nearly 20 years later.

But that's just football. As it should be.

It bugs me we no longer sign any venomous songs about Tommy Mooney.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4116 on: Sunday, February 20, 2022, 18:04:54 »

Not really wanting to go into it, but it's been hinted at here that it was a suicide, but not seen that reported officially anywhere?

Sent from my SM-A125F
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #4117 on: Sunday, February 20, 2022, 18:12:19 »

An opportunity exists for you to cover yourself in glory on Tuesday if you wish.
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #4118 on: Sunday, February 20, 2022, 19:27:46 »

An excellent post and pretty much sums up what I would have said about him. It’s desperately sad when you feel that this is the only option left in life and it goes without saying thoughts are with his family and loved ones. I’ll pay my respects as he was an Oxford man through and through and it couldn’t have been easy at home when he was playing in the red of Swindon. In an ideal world I’d love to see Oxford V Swindon game played as a memorial for him with the proceeds going to perhaps a mental health or suicide charity but sadly given those hellbent on causing trouble with opposing fans the police costs alone makes it a non starter.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #4119 on: Sunday, February 20, 2022, 20:39:07 »

An opportunity exists for you to cover yourself in glory on Tuesday if you wish.

Not sure my work colleagues would understand if I started belting out Tommy Mooney on a piece of string
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #4120 on: Sunday, February 20, 2022, 21:30:16 »

Not sure my work colleagues would understand if I started belting out Tommy Mooney on a piece of string

You're clearly wasted in your career  Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #4121 on: Sunday, February 20, 2022, 22:01:53 »

used to love singing tommy mooney on a piece of string. town end atmosphere was an absolute pleasure back in those days.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #4122 on: Monday, February 21, 2022, 09:56:41 »

Great to read some of the comments and memories on here about Joey Beauchamp. Of course on social media there are some people who clearly revel in being part of a cesspool but it's great to see the people on this site not slip down those paths.

RIP Joey B

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #4123 on: Monday, February 21, 2022, 10:11:40 »

used to love singing tommy mooney on a piece of string. town end atmosphere was an absolute pleasure back in those days.
What does that even mean? Genuine question...
Crispy
Pink Jumper For Goalpost

Ignore
« Reply #4124 on: Monday, February 21, 2022, 10:24:13 »

What does that even mean? Genuine question...

When I was just, a little boy...

They've got muslamic rayguns, muslamic rayguns..
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 274 [275] 276 277 278 ... 341   Go Up
Print
Jump to: