Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 52   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lee Power  (Read 114833 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #330 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 08:43:07 »

Still think Jed is a cowboy chancer. Beginning to think his heart is in the right place though.

The problem with Power is his history and who he previously associated with. No it does not mean history will repeat. But why wouldn't people be cautious.

And to think nothing will have changed by a legal change of ownership of the majority of shares, if that happens, is a bit silly.

But if power is the only gig in town with the money to keep the club going then what choice do we have but to stay vigilent and hope the fears are unfounded.
corner

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #331 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 09:12:39 »

Still think Jed is a cowboy chancer. Beginning to think his heart is in the right place though.

The problem with Power is his history and who he previously associated with. No it does not mean history will repeat. But why wouldn't people be cautious.

And to think nothing will have changed by a legal change of ownership of the majority of shares, if that happens, is a bit silly.

But if power is the only gig in town with the money to keep the club going then what choice do we have but to stay vigilent and hope the fears are unfounded.
Agree, I think jed will try and take the club forward and sustainably and as you say his heart does apper to be in the right place, we're as power may go the way of investors crouch injecting cash in players and possible relocation of the stadium, he would be in it for himself.

Just don't understand why jed got him involved in the first place....
london_red

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #332 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 09:14:10 »

Not saying nothing has changed, nor that we shouldn't be vigilant. While there is uncertainty I think that's a prudent course of action.

Just saying that the talk (not from you batch) of the club being doomed and donning orange hats seems overreactionary, given Power has been clearly heavily involved in the decision making at the club for 6 months and up until yesterday everyone seemed pretty happy with the off pitch running of the club.
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 09:22:38 »

Agree, I think jed will try and take the club forward and sustainably and as you say his heart does apper to be in the right place, we're as power may go the way of investors crouch injecting cash in players and possible relocation of the stadium, he would be in it for himself.

Just don't understand why jed got him involved in the first place....

To play Devils advocate.

Because Jed had no money and no contacts, he acquired a football club by default as no one else wanted it without admin (he, in no sense of the word, bought the club)

When it became clear he needed some cash and connections to make the thing work, and appointing his drinking buddies to the board wasn't going to cut it, he looked around for urgent help and Lee was willing to step in.

It should be noted that much of our first team has been bought in through Powers connections, most notably with Tim Sherwood at Spurs.

Does this mean Lee's motives are nothing but altruistic and we've nothing to fear? I've no idea but then I had no idea in April when he came in either.

This whole Jed folk hero/ Lee Power evil narrative, that some fans have been constantly parroting over the last few days, is a ridiculous over simplification of an issue that is far from black and white   
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 09:37:18 »

I wouldn't go looking for too many clues there, although yes, Faringdon is on the money for the horses.  I believe he does have a local residence a good deal closer than London, but still airport convenient.  From a semi-detached perspective the racing interests are

a) small time compared to the global phenomenon that is STFC
b) about a gazillion times more inter-weaving, complex and confusing than last week's Dr Who
The Racing Ahead Weekend Company apparently owns a racing magazine called Racing Plus, published weekends only unless there is a major festival taking place such as Chelteham or Ascot.  This was originally owned by a company called Cre8!!  The plot thickens.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #335 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 09:39:58 »

I wasn't aiming the nothing will change comment at you LR.

It might not mind, but there is the potential.

Other than that I think pwp has it about right
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 09:43:13 »

Just exactly what evil plan does everyone think Power has?

The club has no money and no assets. He can't sell the ground and there isn't many options for redeveloping it, unless a major ground rebuilding was part of it. So far he has only done good, especially bringing in players through the Tottenham connection.

Seems to me there is at least a few people that have grudges against the club and the new owners, continually spreading their conspiracy theories and everyone is lapping it up.

I don't think anyone knows what's going on.

But any time a non-Swindon fan wants to take over majority control of the club, you have to question what their motive is, and until Lee Power explains what his motive is, considering the financially unappealing state of Swindon as you describe it, we have to remain cautious about his agenda.

According to the official version of events (from Jed's interview with the advertiser), he brought Power in, even though he "didn’t want to come back into football," to help run the football operations side of things (on which I think consensus agrees he's done well), but for some reason, from being reluctant to be involved, his ambitions have advanced markedly (or were there from the beginning, as the buyout option with Jed might suggest).

Considering our history, and Power's, and the apparently contradictory version of events surrounding his involvement, I think a sceptical approach to this state of affairs remains the healthy approach until we get further clarification.
london_red

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #337 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 09:44:36 »

Yeah I agree batch. Still a lot of unknowns, I just feel sometimes a lot of people lurch from one extreme to the other when as PwP says it's usually somewhere in the grey middle. Goes with the territory of being a football fan, and particularly a Swindon fan I suppose!
the washbag

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 09:59:19 »

He Mr Bag, or may I call you Wash.

Earlier on Twitter you gave the impression you were quite certain that Power had invested the dosh, whereas Jed may not have.

Just wondered if I interpreted that correctly, and that you'd favour Power if push came to shove? If so do you have reason to believe that, or is it more a personal evaluation of the facts as you see them?

Call me Ron...

Still not sure who I favour at the moment. Both Jed and Lee have positives / negatives. Jed has unrivaled passion and determination, Lee has the money and is the reason why we have the Spurs players. Jed believes everything will turn out alright, Lee doesn't have a great history of involvement at clubs and businesses...
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 10:07:28 by the washbag » Logged

herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 10:07:06 »

To play Devils advocate.

Because Jed had no money and no contacts, he acquired a football club by default as no one else wanted it without admin (he, in no sense of the word, bought the club)

When it became clear he needed some cash and connections to make the thing work, and appointing his drinking buddies to the board wasn't going to cut it, he looked around for urgent help and Lee was willing to step in.

It should be noted that much of our first team has been bought in through Powers connections, most notably with Tim Sherwood at Spurs.

Does this mean Lee's motives are nothing but altruistic and we've nothing to fear? I've no idea but then I had no idea in April when he came in either.

This whole Jed folk hero/ Lee Power evil narrative, that some fans have been constantly parroting over the last few days, is a ridiculous over simplification of an issue that is far from black and white   

Pretty much sums up my feelings too. I'm sure that Power's not in it for anyone other than Power, just as I'm not convinced that Jed, who had no links to Swindon before this year, is involved because of his love for football in general, or the club in particular.

At the moment the choice is between a supposedly ruthless businessman who will do pretty much anything to get what he wants, but who has money and contacts, and a supposedly likeable geezer (Who most thought/think is pretty dodgy) who has no money and whose contacts seem to be made up others who have no money (Think B&B owners with dodgy barnets).

Expect it's not really a choice at all, is it? Despite internet forums and the adver running the most pointless poll ever, at the end of the day the person who ends up controlling the club won't be decided by us.

It's All Good..............
the washbag

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 10:13:26 »

Pretty much sums up my feelings too. I'm sure that Power's not in it for anyone other than Power, just as I'm not convinced that Jed, who had no links to Swindon before this year, is involved because of his love for football in general, or the club in particular.

Steve Murrall well described Jed's reasons for acquiring STFC at the Business Plan presentations in July...

"this is Jed's vanity project to build a reputation for himself in football and to move on and takeover other clubs".

Jed obviously wants to succeed at STFC, otherwise his broader ambitions as a footballing white knight will be frustrated.

herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 10:23:54 »

Steve Murrall well described Jed's reasons for acquiring STFC at the Business Plan presentations in July...

"this is Jed's vanity project to build a reputation for himself in football and to move on and takeover other clubs".

Jed obviously wants to succeed at STFC, otherwise his broader ambitions as a footballing white knight will be frustrated.
Yeah. It's not that had we got promoted last season the club could've easily been sold off, debt free, with a tidy profit. It's because Jed wants to play football club owner and we're a stepping stone in his quest...... Neither of those is particularly palatable.

Barry Scott

« Reply #342 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 10:50:56 »

Just exactly what evil plan does everyone think Power has?

The club has no money and no assets. He can't sell the ground and there isn't many options for redeveloping it, unless a major ground rebuilding was part of it. So far he has only done good, especially bringing in players through the Tottenham connection.

Seems to me there is at least a few people that have grudges against the club and the new owners, continually spreading their conspiracy theories and everyone is lapping it up.

Great post. There's not enough rational thought about at the moment. Clap
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #343 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 10:52:02 »

Agreed.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 10:58:06 »

Rational thought has no place on the tef.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 52   Go Up
Print
Jump to: