Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon People.  (Read 11247 times)
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, July 9, 2013, 21:39:29 »

Enjoyed that Lee, looking forward to reading the others. Always had time for Vic & fair play to him for taking part.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, July 9, 2013, 21:42:02 »

County Ground is the absolute ideal locale... for me anyway Smiley

Mr. Morgan loves his 1968-1969 Swindon Town doesn't he... and probably rightly so.

Saying that, all-time favourites of Swindon Town belong to the era of my adolescence.
iffy

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 09:45:27 »

So glad that others picked up on Vic's 'full package' quote.  A cinema and branches of KFC and Matalan next to a motorway junction...or a selection of pubs, newsagents and chippies all within walking distance of the ground?  You choose.  I'm not arrogant enough to assume that everyone should agree with me on this one - but I'm happy to see that Vic seems to be in a minority on this one.

I like Vic, by the way.  He's Swindon through & through.  Just disagree with him on this.

Agree with this. Given his answers, he's also much older than I had assumed. How old is he?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 09:48:09 »

Agree with this. Given his answers, he's also much older than I had assumed. How old is he?
Vic is 58.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 09:59:01 »

I enjoyed reading that. Like Vic, I was drawn to speedway with Bob Kilby being my favourite rider.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 14:33:52 »

Away working today till late but Swindon People will be back tommorow evening with interview number two Cool
animalwilliams

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2013, 04:46:57 »

Vic's choice of favourite Town player is a surprise. Will Dixon wasn't a bad full back but when you consider the quality of others of that era David Moss, Kenny Stroud, Trevor Anderson, Peter Eastoe etc I would have to say that he wouldn't be near the top of my list.   
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2013, 06:57:21 »

VIC will always be big in my heart as he sent back his reports from many an away match in the Macari era.

Charlie Henry scored and VIC exploded!

Oh yeah....fuck off Graammer Nazis!

Clems Army!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2013, 08:19:13 »

Oh yeah....fuck off Graammer Nazis!
You dont like German Grandmothers? Cheesy

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2013, 21:13:49 »

So interview number two is with former Labour MP for Swindon Anne Snelgrove.

I believe she is set to stand for Labour again in 2015 and get her Swindon seat back.

She lives in Swindon and has been on the political scene locally for a good few years now,i thank her for the time she has given in doing this interview.

Question one

CAN YOU TELL US ON THE FORUM A LITTLE ABOUT YOURSELF AND HOW YOU CAME TO LIVE IN SWINDON?

I was born in Bracknell,Berkshire and lived on the Priestwood Estate which is identical to the Parks Estate in Swindon.
I trained as a teacher and returned to live near  my parents when i started teaching.
My dad was keen that i continue with my education as his finished when he was fourteen,as did my mothers.
I come from a large extended family and i have forty five cousins at the last count!
We live across the country now but we used to live within twenty miles of each other that made Christmas time a noisy time but great fun.
I moved to Swindon in 2004 prior to being selected as Labour Parliamentery Candidate to succeed Julia Drown MP.
However i moved from Bracknell a few years prior to take up a job with BNFL as there Community Relations Officer.

DO YOU WATCH SWINDON TOWN,AND IF SO HOW OFTEN?

I have to confess that football is not a great passion of mine,and my time on Saturdays is usually taken up with constituency engagements so do not get to the County Ground very often.
I am glad to say that they usually win when i do attend.
On match days i can hear the roar from the Town fans from my house in Eastcott,and always hear a goal going in from the sound of the chanting.

WHAT WOULD YOU CHANGE ABOUT THE TOWN OF SWINDON ,GIVEN THE CHANCE?

I guess that i would like the Town Centre improvements finished and the Mechanics fully restored and open to the public again and also a better road system.
But one thing i would love to change is people's attitude towards the Town of Swindon.
Too many have the same stereotype of the town and its people,so far from the truth there should be a law banning it!
There are great things in the town including good communities,excellent shopping and some great places to eat.
There are also lots of open spaces and really we should blow our trumpet a little bit more.

IF YOU WAS NOT A POLITICIAN,WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU WOULD BE DOING CAREER WISE?

I am sure i would be in education.I'd become an Education Advisor for a local authority before i left teaching,so i would probably be in adult education and training by now.
But now what i wish i had done was Garden Design!
Sadly this was not considered a good career when i left school and did not get interested in gardening until i was in my twenties.

DO YOU THINK THERE WILL BE ANOTHER WOMAN PRIME MINISTER?

Yes,there are some excellent woman MP'S in all parties and it is only a matter of time before one is selected to lead them.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE BOOK...AND ALSO YOUR FAVOURITE CHEESE?

It is hard to choose so true to form i have given you more info than you have asked for.
My favourite childrens book was Alice in Wonderland,this is probably the reason i feel so at home in Parliament!
The best adult books are Middlemarch by George Elliot,South Riding by Winifred Holtby and Great Expectations by Dickens.
Mt favourite cheese is Stilton,the one from Colston Bassett is fantastic.
I also like goats cheese with a really good one with black pepper sold in Swindon at the Sunday Market.

WHAT ARE YOUR HOBBIES WHEN NOT WORKING?

I love gardening and have been know to garden by torchlight if i am busy in the daylight hours.
I also like to read the newspapers,play Sudoku and go to the cinema.

HOW CAN LABOUR WIN THE NEXT ELECTION,AND WHAT WOULD YOUR OWN PERSONAL MESSAGE BE TO US?

This government is making the wrong decisions.Tax breaks for millionaires while increasing taxation on hard working families.
Ignoring one million young people out of work and the 50% who cannot go to University while at the same time imposing a wasteful and expensive top down restructure of our HHS Staff that has cost us the jobs of over 4000 nurses.
We want to take people with us and change Swindon for the better,to build a country where everone has a stake and can play a part.
People should vote for me and vote for the Labour Party if they want a say in decisions being made and see a reversal in damaging changes to the NHS.
If they want here children to have a choice of direction once leaving school,if they want banks that serve he country,not a country that serves the banks,also that the people that work Monday to Friday have some money in there pockets still.

WHO IS/WAS YOUR  HERO/HEROINE?

I liked to read about Queen Elizabeth 1 as a child and i think she must have been an amazing woman to have survived and ruled for 45 years at such a turbulent time.
She brought the country together and with it stability.
Another hero is William Tyndale who first published and translated the First Testament and was burnt at the stake for doing so.
My other hero's are a group of people The Tolpuddle Martyrs who were farm workers and formed one of the first unions that protested about wage cuts.
They were transported to Australia on trumped up charges but were returned after a public outcry.
The principle of workers fighting for there rights were thus born.

FINALY,IT IS YOUR LAST DAY ON EARTH WHAT WOULD YOUR LAST MEAL BE...AND WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO EAT I?

Ideally my last meal would be cooked at home by both me and my husband Mike.
I would make the starter and pudding while he would do the main course,my starter would be Salad with pear,stilton and walnuts.
The main course would be chicken thighs with lettuce and peas complete with Royal Jersey potatoes.
Pudding would be my famous(amongst friends) lemon meringue pie with home made pastry and filling.
I could then go to a better place happy and very full!

« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 17, 2013, 21:18:30 by leefer » Logged
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, July 17, 2013, 21:58:14 »

Where is colston Bassett? Please attend more games  Smiley
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, July 18, 2013, 00:32:42 »

mmmmmmmmmmmmm Stilton - Stilton and Cauli sooooop tomorrow
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2013, 13:58:33 »

Next up.....ex player.....very good ex player.

And as i talk an ex manager has come on board for future viewing.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2013, 14:34:17 »

A final meal of chicken thighs, new potatoes, lettuce and peas.

Surely you can do better than that?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bert Heads head

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, July 24, 2013, 16:46:12 »

Oh yeah....fuck off Grammar Nazis!

Leefer has gone to a great deal of trouble on his thread, and it's a shame for him to spoil this work without proof-reading his posts.

It's OK for the rest of you to write any way you want, that's what helps make the TEF fun.

And of course, the cheese question (and answer) is singularly lacking in profundity.

But I did enjoy reading both posts, and look forward to the rest of them.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 24, 2013, 16:50:50 by Bert Heads head » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: