Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: England V Wales - Will You Be Working Or Watching?  (Read 57439 times)
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 09:59:13 »

Oh fuck off. Wales were superb last night. They could have played for the draw, but went for it.

If a team plays defensively, then it's the oppositions job to break them down.

Wales were the best team of the group and the stats show that.

"It's my ball and I'm going home!"

We are a better team than Wales. That's why you sat on your 18 yard line against us. You did better against Russia and Slovakia so deserve to finish top, but both teams played differently against us. You got far more space against both than we did and you made the most of it, we didn't. Sorry if that offends you but that's how it is buddy.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 10:00:26 »

Of course you were but the constant need the Wales fans are showing for the pat on the back is making me sick. They won the group so fair play to them but i will judge who has done better on who goes further it's as simple as that. The first aim is to get out the group and both teams done that it really doesn't matter if that's 1st or 2nd

Same behaviour as some Oxford fans.

"LOOK! LOOK! WE'RE GOOD NOW!"
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 10:06:09 »

Of course you were but the constant need the Wales fans are showing for the pat on the back is making me sick. They won the group so fair play to them but i will judge who has done better on who goes further it's as simple as that. The first aim is to get out the group and both teams done that it really doesn't matter if that's 1st or 2nd

To get this far is an achievement. To win the group is beyond any welsh persons expectations. Let us have a moment at least.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 10:09:13 »

How long before they change their name to Bales?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 10:10:43 »

To get this far is an achievement. To win the group is beyond any welsh persons expectations. Let us have a moment at least.

I wonder if a smaller country in terms of size and population has ever beaten a bigger, as Wales did to Russia, in a major tournament?
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 10:13:42 »

I wonder if a smaller country in terms of size and population has ever beaten a bigger, as Wales did to Russia, in a major tournament?

I had the same thought last night. Putin will be prepping the Migs, to reboost his ego.
Flashheart

« Reply #291 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 10:15:23 »

Playing defensively often works, hence why so many teams do it at all. There'd be no point otherwise. It surprises me that people so often fail to take that into consideration, not just at internationals but year in, year out in the league as well. Even under Di Canio some would say were were shit after a dull game against a team that set out to defend. "We've been found out", I remember some saying after such a poor game. "That's our promotion hopes over"

Maybe some people should give some credit to the Slovaks. Some act as though they are some tinpot nation with tinpot players, but their better players do play in the top leagues around the world. It's not a case of "World-class" England vs "Part-time" Slovakia. Skrtel in particular played a blinder and their goalie had a good game as well.

Some bemoan our lack of creativity, but isn't that the entire bleedin' point of the opposition putting so many men behind the ball? If we were creating chances then the tactic of putting everybody behind the ball would be redundant. Would Wales have broken them down? Maybe, maybe not, we may never know but to compare performances when we were effectively playing against difference teams is somewhat misleading.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 10:18:25 »

Czech Republic beat US in 2006.. that's the closest I can think of
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 10:21:09 »

In 2 years since the last tournament, Roy is still experimenting. He should have a preferred formation and lineup, but he doesn't. That's a huge failing.

I get your point but huge portions of this squad were nowhere near an England squad 2 years ago, many weren't even close at Christmas.

"It's my ball and I'm going home!"

We are a better team than Wales. That's why you sat on your 18 yard line against us. You did better against Russia and Slovakia so deserve to finish top, but both teams played differently against us. You got far more space against both than we did and you made the most of it, we didn't. Sorry if that offends you but that's how it is buddy.

Look where Wales' goals came from against Russia, getting in behind.  There was no such thing as in behind in any of the games we played, if we were allowed that our pace would have destroyed our group.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 10:22:26 »

I had the same thought last night. Putin will be prepping the Migs, to reboost his ego.

I think Putin got his revenge in early, by destabilising Donetsk. An area of mining and ironworks set up by Welshaman John Hughes with a bit of help form some lads from Millwall  Smiley
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 10:27:28 »

Defending is just as a legitimate art as attacking. No problem with Slovakia's approach.

And of course teams play differently, more defensively, against England than Wales. We were group favourites, a draw against us and try and win one of the other two games is all you need to do to go through.

Well done Wales for winning the group. But I don't think ultimately it makes much difference*. We could get Portugal, they could get Croatia or Czech republic. not much in it.

* other than I'll be in the air when we play
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #296 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 10:32:52 »

The thing is with Wales and it's not a dig but they are not just a little shit team any more. Their team now has a wealth of premier league and Champions league experience and more than just one good player. This isn't a shit team with just Ryan Giggs in it anymore
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 10:34:57 »

Czech Republic beat US in 2006.. that's the closest I can think of

Czechy has an land area roughly 4 times that of Wales, and about 7 mill more people....of course alot of the Welsh lads are English, but that's another story.

I guess someone fairly small must have beaten the old Soviet Union which was considerably bigger than Russia.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 10:36:04 »

From some of their attendances, I assumed the people of Wales had forgotten they had a football team

I come from a land down-under
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 10:37:01 »

Hal Robson Kanu.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: