Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Morecambe v Swindon official match day thread  (Read 34800 times)
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Sunday, September 9, 2018, 07:23:46 »

I know there are ethical issues and Vigs can be an idiot, but the keeper situation last season was a complete farce - how did we get ourselves into the position of having two keepers on our books that should not be playing league football?

Purely because our old mate ‘Flitters’ chose to sign said keepers.

He made a massive fuck up of the keeper situation, from September onwards, which cost us several big games when it came to the crunch around February time.
Family at War

Midfield Maestro

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Sunday, September 9, 2018, 07:50:08 »

Watched the interview with Phil Brown on Quest, bloody hell I thought it was football highlights not managers hair. Is his wife a hairdresser or something, I can cope with Orange skin but that hair he is 60 soon for gods sake!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Sunday, September 9, 2018, 08:25:42 »

Ageist
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Sunday, September 9, 2018, 09:07:10 »

I’ve watched all our games this season - either live or on iFollow - and after each and every one of them opposition fans have said we weren’t very good or just poor. I realise this is a usual default position when you’ve not won, but are they right?

Yes, we’ve looked poor defensively at times through individual mistakes and also we appear somewhat ‘flaky’ as a unit when teams attack us - I still fear a goal almost every time the opposition get into our half.

Balanced to that is we look fairly dynamic going forward - scored in every game.

Now, useless defending isn’t confined to just us, though. Almost every clubs fans bemoan their mistakes which lead to goals.

So, can we get promoted if this trend of ours continues?
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Sunday, September 9, 2018, 09:12:34 »

We haven't been able to field a settled team yet, so although it's been variable in terms of quality, we've 12 points, and should get better when Brown can field the team he wants out there.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Sunday, September 9, 2018, 09:43:12 »

I’ve watched all our games this season - either live or on iFollow - and after each and every one of them opposition fans have said we weren’t very good or just poor. I realise this is a usual default position when you’ve not won, but are they right?

Yes, we’ve looked poor defensively at times through individual mistakes and also we appear somewhat ‘flaky’ as a unit when teams attack us - I still fear a goal almost every time the opposition get into our half.

Balanced to that is we look fairly dynamic going forward - scored in every game.

Now, useless defending isn’t confined to just us, though. Almost every clubs fans bemoan their mistakes which lead to goals.

So, can we get promoted if this trend of ours continues?

Simple answer is no. 

As Sutton points out, we need to find that settled side, or at least a regular 8/9 starters. You then want that side to be able to go out and get a good number of regulation wins.  Next up we've Bury, who've a p 3 L 3 record on the road, so if we are to do anything this season it's the sort of game where we could start to impose ourselves.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Sunday, September 9, 2018, 09:58:23 »

We've now seen the squad.  A little short in terms of depth.  Nevertheless, Brown's boys complement the retained (whether by choice or contract) pretty astutely.   We have now seen them all.  Loving the team spirit and footballing fluidity thus far displayed.  Compare it with Flitcroft's attempt to bludgeon and bore our way out of the league, almost mercifully sunk on the rocks of TWO sieve keepers.  We know the defensive weaknesses but I have liked what I have seen in all of Brown's boys:

McCormick
Woolfenden

Nelson
McCourt
McGlashan
Smith
Doughty
Toums
Alzate
Adebayo

Yesterday's debutants both performed very well.  

Easy to praise on the back of 3 points and regardless of how we do finish I am enjoying watching STFC again.   Even if my doctor would counsel against it.

« Last Edit: Sunday, September 9, 2018, 10:00:06 by RedRag » Logged
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Sunday, September 9, 2018, 10:05:24 »

Settled sides may do well but they require the luck of no injuries.  Only a sprinkling of clubs enjoy such luck in a season.   It is a squad that wins you promotion (with a manager who can adapt).  We are missing in depth but not in quality - at least not so far as Brown's boys are concerned.  IMO Smiley
« Last Edit: Sunday, September 9, 2018, 10:07:33 by RedRag » Logged
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Sunday, September 9, 2018, 10:36:54 »

We've now seen the squad.  A little short in terms of depth.  Nevertheless, Brown's boys complement the retained (whether by choice or contract) pretty astutely.   We have now seen them all.  Loving the team spirit and footballing fluidity thus far displayed.  Compare it with Flitcroft's attempt to bludgeon and bore our way out of the league, almost mercifully sunk on the rocks of TWO sieve keepers.  We know the defensive weaknesses but I have liked what I have seen in all of Brown's boys:

McCormick
Woolfenden

Nelson
McCourt
McGlashan
Smith
Doughty
Toums
Alzate
Adebayo

Yesterday's debutants both performed very well.  

Easy to praise on the back of 3 points and regardless of how we do finish I am enjoying watching STFC again.   Even if my doctor would counsel against it.

Good point. Compared to a lot of the dross which Flitcroft saw fit to recruit on 2-year deals, the list above looks very healthy.

The only one who I’ve been unconvinced about is McCourt, but he certainly wants to win and it sounds as if he did just fine yesterday.
Flashheart

« Reply #114 on: Sunday, September 9, 2018, 10:40:28 »

I’ve watched all our games this season - either live or on iFollow - and after each and every one of them opposition fans have said we weren’t very good or just poor.

I didn't think we played that well yesterday, but in other games I think we've been far from poor at times. Although we did have 10 men for most of the match. We've often looked good going forward, just that we have a flimsy defence.

I do think we're not quite clicking yet, and we could start looking very good indeed when we do start clicking.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Sunday, September 9, 2018, 10:42:45 »

Simple answer is no. 

As Sutton points out, we need to find that settled side, or at least a regular 8/9 starters. You then want that side to be able to go out and get a good number of regulation wins.  Next up we've Bury, who've a p 3 L 3 record on the road, so if we are to do anything this season it's the sort of game where we could start to impose ourselves.
You’d hope 3 points from a Bury is a given - 1 away win in 34 games, 3 away wins in 3 years!
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Sunday, September 9, 2018, 10:52:45 »

Don't bloody tempt to the mockers Gods.  Wink
« Last Edit: Sunday, September 9, 2018, 10:55:10 by RedRag » Logged
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Sunday, September 9, 2018, 11:00:20 »

You’d hope 3 points from a Bury is a given - 1 away win in 34 games, 3 away wins in 3 years!

For me the priority has got to be a ‘no frills’ home win. Nothing spectacular, a 2-0 would be fine.

We’ve only won 2 of our last 37 in all comps by 2 or more goals. That’s pathetic, and any team which is set for a promotion push needs to be able to handle a few routine home wins. Not every week, but as you say Bury needs to be a home banker.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Sunday, September 9, 2018, 11:05:46 »

Don't bloody tempt to the mockers Gods.  Wink

Indeed.....I did so yesterday having Lincoln home win on my 5 match ACCA.... Cost me a lost £80...

Clems Army!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Sunday, September 9, 2018, 11:09:54 »

They managed to win on their last trip to the CG, which will be more or less 2 years ago to the day.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: