Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Mansfield pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 56396 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #225 on: Saturday, November 23, 2019, 18:59:37 »

Weird to think that only 5 consecutive league wins ago we were being tipped as a shit team and no chance of the autos after the Crewe game, not being a very good team, no 2nd plan of tactics from Wellens when things not going our way.

All the players signed were not good enough, Worst performing side in English football etc etc..

How quickly things can change in football.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Flashheart

« Reply #226 on: Saturday, November 23, 2019, 19:03:09 »

Some were calling for Wellens to be sacked.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Saturday, November 23, 2019, 19:04:40 »

Or how people lurch from 'they are the greatest team in the history of association football' to 'they are a bunch of donkeys' depending on the direction of the wind.

Nothing to see here
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Saturday, November 23, 2019, 19:34:25 »

Weird to think that only 5 consecutive league wins ago we were being tipped as a shit team and no chance of the autos after the Crewe game, not being a very good team, no 2nd plan of tactics from Wellens when things not going our way.

All the players signed were not good enough, Worst performing side in English football etc etc..

How quickly things can change in football.

I assume you go onto fB and other sites?  Seemed to me most people on here after the Crewe game said we weren't very good, on the day and needed to turn things around starting with the Stevenage game. That was why Doyle's added on time winner was so important...

Having a break now may help a bit as we looked to be flagging today agoinst albeit a physical outfit who are difficult to beat on the road.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Saturday, November 23, 2019, 19:36:52 »

Indeed, social media muppets who state their undying love of "their club" then after a few bad results state that Power has ruined the club and that we are heading for the non-league and lose interest.

I come from a land down-under
Peter Venkman

« Reply #230 on: Saturday, November 23, 2019, 19:37:03 »

I assume you go onto fB and other sites?  Seemed to me most people on here after the Crewe game said we weren't very good, on the day and needed to turn things around starting with the Stevenage game. That was why Doyle's added on time winner was so important...

Having a break now may help a bit as we looked to be flagging today agoinst albeit a physical outfit who are difficult to beat on the road.
Nope I no longer visit that hive of villainy.

I’ve had suspicions so far this season, but I’ve now come to the conclusion that we aren’t actually very good, and will likely be scrapping out for 7th at best

When the going gets tough, this team has literally zero sense of what to do - not through lack of effort, but lack of shape and lack of a plan to counteract an opposition, and that lays at the door of the coaching staff

No way is this team good enough for autos

The summer recruitment never really looked like a serious try at auto... and now we're having a bit of a regroup by plundering the out of work pool.

We’ll lose because we aren’t actually *that* good

1 win in the last 6 now and 4 points from 18

Not good enough- team not fit or strong enough

Wellens will be under pressure soon

Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Saturday, November 23, 2019, 19:48:19 »

Cheesy
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Saturday, November 23, 2019, 19:49:00 »

Sounds like Broadbent did well. Hopefully he will gain confidence from this and be more involved with the first team. Wellens showed faith in him today and it paid off.
He looked a little nervy in first couple of minutes, especially with the ball at his feet but soon grew into the game and was really very good, much like the defender we saw last season. In part I suspect that was because we spent a lot of that time out of possession so he was playing to his strengths, whereas he has tended to look more shaky when (e.g.) we are trying to play out from the back or recycle across the back. Hopefully today will have given him the confidence boost he clearly needed
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Saturday, November 23, 2019, 19:49:41 »

Fair enough... however I would say that Wellens dipped into the out of contract market, because he felt the summer recruitment wasn't strong enough... further we've still got the obvious problem with the loan front 2, which will need resolving.

For that reason, I'm not convinced that what we're looking at here is necessarily a squad bound for autos.... much more take each game as it comes and hope for the best in Jan
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Saturday, November 23, 2019, 19:57:18 »

We don't want to get too carried away yet, eh Reg?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Saturday, November 23, 2019, 19:58:47 »

We are still 17 points off the magic 53 points target to ensure safety this season. No room for complacency in our ongoing relegation battle.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Saturday, November 23, 2019, 20:02:45 »

Is that a Flasher we?  Do what you want. 
Peter Venkman

« Reply #237 on: Saturday, November 23, 2019, 20:08:35 »

much more take each game as it comes and hope for the best in Jan
Thats all Swindon fans have ever done TBH, very few get carried away and very few are utterly negative.

Game by game and take it from there.

Wellens should be given as much credit though as he was given criticism after the Crewe game.

There are only a handful of Swindon managers over the years to have ever won 5 consecutive league games. Hoddle, McMahon and Ardiles never managed in their time with us (play offs excluded).

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Saturday, November 23, 2019, 20:10:56 »

We are still 17 points off the magic 53 points target to ensure safety this season. No room for complacency in our ongoing relegation battle.

I'm surprised given your obsession with matters Bury/Bolton, that you don't realise that we have the happy event of only 1 down from Div 4 this season, so the magic number will be much lower. Macc may put some sort of spanner in that works yet, mind.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Saturday, November 23, 2019, 20:20:22 »

I’ve just got in from the game so haven’t read back.
I enjoyed today’s game, and also the result. This was a game recent seasons’ Town teams would have let slip and been pegged back to a draw. We will look back at this as being an important result come the end of the season.
I felt that we dominated the first 35 mins or so, and should have been further ahead than 1-0. We then had a shaky few minutes before half time and but for Benda making a good save from Maynard. The early part of the 2nd half we seemed to be disrupted a little by the replacement of Lyden with Rose, and Mansfield played more direct, with their number 17 causing Fryers a lot of problems - his height and size were the problem. We rode our luck a bit in that period, although we did make some important blocks / clearances and a superb save by Benda. RW’s substitution of Broadbent for Doughty and the move to a back 5 was excellent and countered them pretty effectively. Whilst they had more of the play in the last 20 to 25 mins it was in truth fairly comfortable - very few alarms and we could (possibly should) have got a second goal from one of our breaks.
Overall a good team performance - Grant again outstanding, and excellent contributions from Benda, Caddis, Hunt, Doyle and Yates in particular. Broadbent also did well.
With Lyden picking up an injury and Caddis looking exhausted 20 minutes from time, the week off should be helpful.
Optimistic we can make the autos if  keep the loanees for the season.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: