Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 ... 44   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Charlie Austin  (Read 96915 times)
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #420 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 20:06:15 »

I'm just saying off the field we have made progress. On the field we have taken a massive backward step this season but it won't be a long term thing even if we do go down.

I'm gobsmacked that it appears that this season is the one which has done the damage to people's loyalty. Was nobody around for the Malpas season? That was more depressing than being relegated to league two.
« Last Edit: Friday, January 14, 2011, 20:07:56 by Si Pie » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #421 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 20:10:23 »

Combination of things Paul.  These are the reasons I've heard:

The old favourites of allowing Greer to go and not adequately replacing, not extending Paynter's contract earlier,  subsequently getting no money for him and again not adequately replacing.  

Fitton has been fairly conspicious with his silence this season, wheras last season when we were doing well he was commentating on the radio and regularly giving interviews around all aspects of the club.   He only seems to have given interviews when it's clear he's really pissed off about something and apparently hasn't attended many games recently, so is possibly losing interest all round?

Seems to backtrack on things he's previously said in interviews.

Something and nothing really, people just feeling pissed off I guess?
Fair enough. Tbh, most of that I'd class as being on-field, apart from the stuff about Fitton's interviews. Don't think he can win in that regard, though - if he says nowt, then you get the "Where's Fitton then?" comments and when he does come out and say something, he gets slated for wearing his heart on his sleeve, or rocking the boat over transfers etc. (There was an example of that today on the thread about his comments on Charlie in the Adver).

Like you say, though, sounds like "and another thing" stuff - none of it would be an issue if the football was a bit better, unlike the situation a few years back when even getting promoted couldn't mask the shit behind the scenes.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #422 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 20:10:53 »

I'm just saying off the field we have made progress. On the field we have taken a massive backward step this season but it won't be a long term thing even if we do go down.

I'm gobsmacked that it appears that this season is the one which has done the damage. Was nobody around for the Malpas season? That was more depressing than being relegated to league two.

For some it's this season, for others it may have been Malpas. For some it would have been the McMahon era, and so on.

I personally haven't given up long term by any means. This season is just a fucking ball-breaker though and I'm sick of it.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #423 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 20:15:35 »

Dont agree onion.....there are many Town fans who would come back if they felt the club were pushing on....on/off pitch.....i mean Reading were getting 4000 before the club started to show the public they were serious about a top fotball club.....its not right to say you you are either a fan or your not.....many fans cant/wont pay a lot of money to watch rubbish...

Maybe I worded that bit slightly wrong but the point I was getting at is that regardless of how bad we are doing most fans would still turn up even if it was not for every game. It's a valid point about the money issue especially in these financial times but i've heard all sorts of excuses over the last 10 years as to why people were not going. First it was that we were shite, then it was Andy King, then it was the board (that one was valid though), then it was Malpas, then it was lack of ambition from the board and yet all of those seemed to rectify last season. Even prices went down on season tickets. And yet people were still staying away until the latter stages. Why? For me they are only interested if we are doing well. I wouldn't call that total support.

For me last season showed what this club and board is capable of doing. We are more than able to get promotion under this board from this division. It won't be this season and it may not be for another 2 seasons or possibly more but in time things will get better. I do believe that. You have to take the rough with the smooth.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #424 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 20:15:57 »

I'm gobsmacked that it appears that this season is the one which has done the damage to people's loyalty. Was nobody around for the Malpas season? That was more depressing than being relegated to league two.

I'd say this season has very much been like the Malpas season.

Infact, I'd go as far as to say its even more of a disappointment than the Malpas season.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #425 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 20:21:58 »

I can kind of understand why people are more pissed off this season even though we've had much worse times and seen much worse football before. It's the "it's the hope that kills you" factor - we kind of expected it to be shit before, but with things sorted out off the pitch for the first time in years and a genuine sight of "here's what you could have won" last season, it gave people a glimpse of success and progress for the first time in years. To have it dangled in front of you and seemingly snatched away can feel worse than never having had sight of it at all. It's classic "playoff hangover" syndrome.
nochee

« Reply #426 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 20:23:42 »

I'd say this season has very much been like the Malpas season.

Infact, I'd go as far as to say its even more of a disappointment than the Malpas season.

Agreed, especially as the expectation after last season was so high.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #427 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 20:29:04 »

I can kind of understand why people are more pissed off this season even though we've had much worse times and seen much worse football before. It's the "it's the hope that kills you" factor - we kind of expected it to be shit before, but with things sorted out off the pitch for the first time in years and a genuine sight of "here's what you could have won" last season, it gave people a glimpse of success and progress for the first time in years. To have it dangled in front of you and seemingly snatched away can feel worse than never having had sight of it at all. It's classic "playoff hangover" syndrome.

Paul has hit the nail on the head here.  We came so bloody close and fell at the final hurdle, but although massively disappointed after Wembley, I couldn't wait for the new season.  Even when we lost Paynter and Greer in the summer, I still honestly thought we were good enough to be up challenging near the top of the league again.  In fact, I would go so far as to say I expected us to be in the hunt for automatic promotion this time round not a play off place.  The fact that has been the complete opposite has been massively disappointing to say the least.

In the Malpas era I never had any expectation, because we were permanently shite.
lambourn red

« Reply #428 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 20:33:35 »

I blame it on the kit never liked it from day one Bad Mood
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #429 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 20:36:08 »

I blame it on the kit never liked it from day one Bad Mood

We should never have worn white at Wembley.

FACT!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #430 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 20:40:18 »

INCONTROVERTIBLE! It's all been down hill ever since
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #431 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 20:48:07 »

Paul has hit the nail on the head here.  We came so bloody close and fell at the final hurdle, but although massively disappointed after Wembley, I couldn't wait for the new season.  Even when we lost Paynter and Greer in the summer, I still honestly thought we were good enough to be up challenging near the top of the league again.  In fact, I would go so far as to say I expected us to be in the hunt for automatic promotion this time round not a play off place.  The fact that has been the complete opposite has been massively disappointing to say the least.

In the Malpas era I never had any expectation, because we were permanently shite.

Dear old Maurice gets a lot of stick, but he never really had an era....42 league games W13 D11 L18.....not great, but comparable to where we are atm.

I think the season hinged on 2 games.....Plymuff at home...we just won 3 in a row, 2 down early got back in Prutton sees red and we concede in 6th minute of added on time. Then Posh away....both these games showed some fighting spirit and a bit of belief still.

Now we seem to have players playing for moves or new contracts, rather than the club.

It's a symptom of the modern game...
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #432 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 21:18:10 »

I don't know about any of you but when I was at Ashton Gate the day we went down in '06, I honestly thought we were going to be in the bottom league for a very long time. We got promoted the season after and after a few nervy months Fitton and his consortium bought the club. People seem to forget that we were very close to going bust. The three years since had us witness the mid table mediocrity of 08, the staying up by the skin of our teeth in 09 (that OTJ injury time equaliser at Carlisle was crucial) and the Wembley heartache last May.

No doubt Fitton and Co are the right people for this football club, they have done an excellent job of the pitch they just have to get it right more on the pitch.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #433 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 21:48:09 »

I dont disagree with you. But i can see why new fans and former supporters who decided to give the club a chance and start to attend games again with the hope of seeing something different from recent years feel like they have been sold a lie.

What is the reason we are so shit compared to last season? Is it the sale of Greer? Is it because we haven't replaced him? If so, then the news of losing another Cb is not the most refreshing.
The difference this year is that we have relied on one person to score goals and have conceded more goals due to frailties in defence.

Solution: Change the strike force and defence.

Selling Morisson appears to be beyond our control. Think he has been played alot to put him in the shop window. Think the longer term solution is to bring on Lesc and Cuthbert by pairing them with an experienced pro like Frampton.

Austin is a cash-cow. Ideally would like to keep him, but the right offer would enable us to rebuild. Clearly Pericard-Austin, Dossevi-Austin & Doessevi-Pericard doesn't work. Wouldn't mind losing all 3 to be honest. Have seen us survive post Mayes, Quinn, Bamber, Shearer, Thorne, Fjortoft, Hay, Allison, Hay, Cox and Paynter. We will survive post Austin - I just hope that we get a big payday from him.

P.S. Can't help but think what this season would have been like if we had kept matey-boy from Southend who went to Leyton Orient. His Paynter-esque style might have meant Paynters goals from last year might not have dried up this year.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #434 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 21:54:58 »

I don't know about any of you but when I was at Ashton Gate the day we went down in '06, I honestly thought we were going to be in the bottom league for a very long time. We got promoted the season after and after a few nervy months Fitton and his consortium bought the club. People seem to forget that we were very close to going bust. The three years since had us witness the mid table mediocrity of 08, the staying up by the skin of our teeth in 09 (that OTJ injury time equaliser at Carlisle was crucial) and the Wembley heartache last May.

No doubt Fitton and Co are the right people for this football club, they have done an excellent job of the pitch they just have to get it right more on the pitch.
I don't think people have forgot how close we were to going bust but i also think they don't forget when they are told about 3 year plans and that we don't have to sell. I been trying to put my finger on what is going wrong for some time and think i know the problem.

We have no genuine real prospects coming through that we can pin our hopes on apart from Miles Storie so we are buying fringe players like Caddis Ferry Cuthbert and Ritchie in the hope that they perform and we can make a few quid but as soon as they perform they are off and we replace them with simalar players who won't just fit in.

I see someone say earlier that this season is a rebuilding process but i am afraid with this buy young and sell for profit policy we are just going to have a rebuilding process every fucking season.

If people are pissed off with Morrison leaving best of luck with when Cuthbert fucks off next
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 ... 44   Go Up
Print
Jump to: