Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Grimsby vs Swindon, build up and match day  (Read 8035 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, April 19, 2024, 15:01:04 »

I see Gunning made some comments about Devoy being a possibility as a signing for next season, which I assume came from the press conference for the Grimsby game.  I'd rather be forced to live in Cleethorpes and holiday in Skeggy than have him back.  It's bad enough I have to accept that just releasing everyone we have contracts for is probably a bad idea, let alone think about signing someone we don't have to keep from this shit fuck of a season.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, April 19, 2024, 17:14:57 »

A nice early swim in the North Sea sounds appetising😁
[/quote
Fuck that, I'll not be sober enough to swim let alone survive the shitty water

Fish&chips and plent of beers then Cheesy

So, give no fucks
iParadise

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, April 19, 2024, 17:24:43 »

I see Gunning made some comments about Devoy being a possibility as a signing for next season, which I assume came from the press conference for the Grimsby game.  I'd rather be forced to live in Cleethorpes and holiday in Skeggy than have him back.  It's bad enough I have to accept that just releasing everyone we have contracts for is probably a bad idea, let alone think about signing someone we don't have to keep from this shit fuck of a season.

I wouldn’t be against taking him on a free, if he was out on contract but I wouldn’t pay a fee for him. I do think he’s a decent player and would look better if he had a decent number 8 next to him. Franchise might just want to get him off the wage bill? He’s certainly no Kemp though, who can’t seem to get a start at MK at the moment! He’ll be off for free but definitely to L1, I’m sure.
« Last Edit: Friday, April 19, 2024, 17:26:54 by iParadise » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, April 19, 2024, 17:34:56 »

The players on our books are simply not good enough - which is why we have them.  Even Kemp - I think we need to temper our own views on him given the experience of Franchise.  The team was set-up to feed him and the forwards with reckless attacking formations - the net result was a team that scored a few and conceded as many, which creates average results.

I'd wonder why he can't keep down a spot at the top end and was allowed to move initially.  I presume because he is an all or nothing player - he's giving you one thing.  I'm not saying I would be averse to having him and he fully deserved the PotY award, but did he look better than he is because of how we played, and how shit the rest are?  Devoy on the other hand is a nothing player, like Aguiar.  I'm sorry, every kid who turns professional has good technique, showing it in flashes at L2 level in a team that loses a lot and has a porous midfield, probably suggests he isn't much good.  Just like Cain, who seems to be able to dine out on "potential".  A lot of our squad are going to leave us an be viewed far more positively than they should be, just because they were around other players of a similar ilk.  We are down where we are for reasons, and squad ability and make-up is a core part of those reasons.

Oh, and Grimsby away feels like a fixture we never win in, I bet the stats don't back that up.
iParadise

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, April 19, 2024, 18:14:45 »

The players on our books are simply not good enough - which is why we have them.  Even Kemp - I think we need to temper our own views on him given the experience of Franchise.

I dunno man, to say Kemp isn’t quality is madness! He’s the reason we’re not getting relegated. And let’s not forget he was quality at Hartlepool too.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, April 19, 2024, 18:58:43 »

I dunno man, to say Kemp isn’t quality is madness! He’s the reason we’re not getting relegated. And let’s not forget he was quality at Hartlepool too.

Oh, I agree that I am mad - it's a nagging doubt rather than any great opinion, that Kemp may not be as good as we remember him.  A bit like how I always had a feeling Payne wasn't really up to being a good L1 level player, and he has largely supported that by being relegated or plying his trade in L2.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, April 19, 2024, 19:03:00 »

I think if you think about the number of players who have gone L1/2 to Prem with Luton, Sheffield United, Swansea etc. over the last few decades, you realise that a good system player in a good system can operate to a much higher level than their raw talent would suggest.

We just haven't got the good system.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, April 19, 2024, 21:13:13 »

Oh, and Grimsby away feels like a fixture we never win in, I bet the stats don't back that up.

Won our last two away and last five in total v Grimsby
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, April 19, 2024, 21:28:09 »

I think if you think about the number of players who have gone L1/2 to Prem with Luton, Sheffield United, Swansea etc. over the last few decades, you realise that a good system player in a good system can operate to a much higher level than their raw talent would suggest.

We just haven't got the good system.

Matěj Kovář
dogs

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, April 19, 2024, 22:41:20 »

No doubt we'll win, yet again when it means not bar a gamble

3-1 victory.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, April 20, 2024, 08:02:03 »

Surely, even Wobbly isn’t going to this.
skiptotheLouMacari

« Reply #26 on: Saturday, April 20, 2024, 08:19:45 »

Lovely weather on the way up hope it is like it in Grimsby
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, April 20, 2024, 08:25:31 »

Surely, even Wobbly isn’t going to this.
He is. Never in doubt.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, April 20, 2024, 08:28:21 »

Pre match 2023/24 season about to sleep with the fishes in The Yarborough Hotel.

If STFC were a fish it would be a lonely mud dweller residing in the bottom of a small, murky, algae covered pond and wanting to flop out onto the muddy bank & just expire.

Having said that there have been some on the road highlights.
The last minute winner at FGR & leaving Accrington when 3 up secure in the knowledge that the points were in the bag, no fuss or bother.
Best though was the euphoria of the 90mins at Wrexham.
If only games could finish on the 90 eh.
And that's it.

So, what price loyalty?
Well, tickets, train travel & occasional accommodation the physical cost was about £4k.
And that doesn't include beer & some food along the way.
Probably not sustainable on a very average income.

DIV made the very good point about addiction.
I agree. Why else get up very early on Saturday to drink ale in far flung outposts & watch sub standard football.
Still, recognising that there is a problem is the first step towards recovery...

Not that it matters, but I think that we'll get filleted today.
Won't hang around to thank the team for their efforts afterwards.
« Last Edit: Saturday, April 20, 2024, 08:33:27 by Wobbly Bob » Logged

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
adje

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, April 20, 2024, 08:28:29 »

Matěj Kovář
🙂
Elijah Adebayo🙂

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: