Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oldham vs Swindon - Official Matchday Thread  (Read 35359 times)
adje

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: Saturday, January 8, 2011, 17:41:54 »

Norway Red is my new favourite poster now Spacey has gone into semi-retirement!

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #301 on: Saturday, January 8, 2011, 17:43:43 »

It's surprising because we hyped them up and down-played Paynter's ability. Fair enough they haven't been good and that is Wilson's fault, but he looked for strikers and got them in. They just weren't good enough, that's the only part he fucked up.
NorwayRed
Not quite Hitler

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Saturday, January 8, 2011, 17:46:15 »

Norway Red is my new favourite poster now Spacey has gone into semi-retirement!

Clap I really hope you enjoy it!

Hopefully I will add a flavour between Hunter S. Thompson and Edvard Munch to this TEF  Hmmm

Ran the fanclub: Swindon Town Supporters Club of Norway between 1992 and 1998. Now runs the non-commercial online website for Norwegian Swindon-fans.

Twitter: duncanshearer
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: Saturday, January 8, 2011, 17:47:30 »

I think the problem is, other than the departure of Greer and Paynter, there is little difference from last year's squad.  Indeed, we've now got a bigger squad, but we seem to have a lot more fringe, back-up players.  In fairness to Wilson, the money wasn't there to buy a big name striker, and - sorry to mention him again - but Sam Parkin didn't set the world alight before coming to STFC.

We were extremely fortunate last season to get Ward on loan, and we probably overachieved due to a very clinical strikeforce.  We nicked a lot of games just because of Paynter and Austin's strike conversion rate.  Losing at Oldham is not slit-your-wrist time - the important games are the next two coming up.

I for one cannot understand the Wilson bashing.  We had an excellent season last year, and yes we've struggled, but we're about to undergo major changes.  Austin is likely to leave in the summer, but with a hefty transfer fee we should be able to give the squad a big overhaul.  I'd like to see him given until at least the summer (assuming we're not in the bottom four) and then reassess the situation then.  Now is not the time for chopping and changing a manager - what does it matter if we finish 7th or 20th?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: Saturday, January 8, 2011, 17:49:11 »

It's surprising because we hyped them up and down-played Paynter's ability. Fair enough they haven't been good and that is Wilson's fault, but he looked for strikers and got them in. They just weren't good enough, that's the only part he fucked up.

But we've scored 2 more goals this season than at the same stage last season, which suggests offensively we've done OK.
Panda Paws

« Reply #305 on: Saturday, January 8, 2011, 17:54:43 »

what does it matter if we finish 7th or 20th?

Are you insane? Possibly the strangest thing I've seen posted on TEF, and that's saying something.

I'm pretty sure, when you consider our budget, performance last year (which for the umpteenth time wasn't an over achievement, it was expected by the board) and the targets set by Fitton at the beginning of the season, that in the Chairman's eyes, and the minds of the right-minded fan, there is a huge difference between just missing out on a PO spot and surviving by the skin of our teeth.

And that's before you consider prize money, selling the club to prospective summer signings, crowds, next year's ST sales etc etc etc.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: Saturday, January 8, 2011, 17:59:08 »

i think the players should look at themselves how can we do what we did to charlton and put in two shite performances in like that either side of it
"Play on the telly, we only play on the telly, play on the teeeeellllyyy, we only play on the telly"
adje

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Saturday, January 8, 2011, 18:00:33 »

Wisdom beyond your years 'rus.I seriously dont believe we will go down and the key to next year is how wisely DW spends the Austin cash.The majority of players he has brought to the club have been decent so I'm optimistic.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Saturday, January 8, 2011, 18:02:54 »

Not all of us, someone us stuck up for Paynter from the start and could see he was a very good player.

Wilson tried to replace him, we've signed strikers - it hasnt worked. I would have liked to have seen us bring someone else in when it was clear it hadnt worked.

We at least tried to replace Paynter (who most thought would be easy to replace) unlike that other dude.

Last time, we didnt over achieve last season - we achieved.

Under Malpas we were 18th in L1 and out all the cups by late December. Now we're in January under Wilson we are 18th in L1 and out all the cups. Yet failure seems more tolerated under Wilson than Malpas?

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: Saturday, January 8, 2011, 18:05:58 »

because we achieved under his guidance last season
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Saturday, January 8, 2011, 18:07:05 »

because we achieved under his guidance last season

We need to forget last season though. That was then and this is now.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #311 on: Saturday, January 8, 2011, 18:09:30 »

Not all of us, someone us stuck up for Paynter from the start and could see he was a very good player.

There were quite a few people. I generalised for the majority.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Saturday, January 8, 2011, 18:09:36 »

Under Malpas we were 18th in L1 and out all the cups by late December. Now we're in January under Wilson we are 18th in L1 and out all the cups. Yet failure seems more tolerated under Wilson than Malpas?

Probably because of what went on in between

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: Saturday, January 8, 2011, 18:09:42 »

no we dont forget last season.we remember how good it was,hope to better it,and plan ways of doing so.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: Saturday, January 8, 2011, 18:16:52 »

no we dont forget last season.we remember how good it was,hope to better it,and plan ways of doing so.

Indeed, dont forget it - its the level of expectation the board, manager and plays have set themselves.

hope to better it and plans ways of doing so - is what this season should of been but it hasnt, this season has been a flat out failure.

Right now, we either back Wilson with cash in hope he can better last season next season or sack him now and give the new gaffer a chance to shape the squad to his liking.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: