Pages: 1 ... 285 286 287 [288] 289 290 291 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1226087 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #4305 on: Friday, June 5, 2020, 14:10:20 »

If R = 1, the infection rate number should be totally stable

R less than one means declining, even if it's going up within that - 0.5 means going down much faster than 0.99, but both should mean going down.

R more than 1 means trouble.

At least, I think that makes sense.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4306 on: Friday, June 5, 2020, 14:10:58 »

It's which way it will go Dave
Flashheart

« Reply #4307 on: Friday, June 5, 2020, 14:14:46 »

Latest Cambridge University and Public Health England estimates suggests the R-rate is above 1 in the North West and not a million miles away elsewhere....

Yeah.

But hindisght and all that Wink
Chunkyhair

Ignore
« Reply #4308 on: Friday, June 5, 2020, 14:40:34 »

28th March:

Stephen Powis, NHS England medical director, warned the public that “now is not the time to be complacent” and “every one of us has a part to play”.

Speaking at the daily Downing Street press conference, he said: “If we can keep deaths below 20,000 we will have done very well in this epidemic.”

5th June:
UK passes 40,000 coronavirus deaths
The number of people who have died in the UK after testing positive for coronavirus has passed 40,000

Will someone ever in Govt come close to saying that perhaps we haven't done too well/could do better instead of congratulating themselves all the time on their crap "achievements".  Honesty would be welcome but unfortunately I think the majority have become inured to the bullshit so they carry on feeding us shit.

No one kills a thread like me....
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4309 on: Friday, June 5, 2020, 14:46:25 »

ONS have now done some analysis on the excess deaths and concluded that the majority are due to undiagnosed COVID. That's around 60,000 deaths directly caused by COVID according to the govt's own statisticians.
Chunkyhair

Ignore
« Reply #4310 on: Friday, June 5, 2020, 14:49:41 »

Oh, and R now back above 1 in North West.

No one kills a thread like me....
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #4311 on: Friday, June 5, 2020, 15:00:55 »

It’s very very interesting how Uk news is reported.
As an outsider looking in this week has been a proper eye opener.
Obviously huge coverage of all the shite in America but also lots of talk about Mexico and Brazil and how things are going mad there - Mexico hits 10,000 deaths!!!!!!

Uk has just hit 40,000 official deaths and there’s nothing on the bbc front page of their website. A suspicious mind may suggest they’ve been told to report anything but.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4312 on: Friday, June 5, 2020, 15:08:58 »

Obviously huge coverage of all the shite in America but also lots of talk about Mexico and Brazil and how things are going mad there - Mexico hits 10,000 deaths!!!!!!

Uk has just hit 40,000 official deaths and there’s nothing on the bbc front page of their website. A suspicious mind may suggest they’ve been told to report anything but.
Shh, you're not allowed to compare with other countries because other countries do counting in foreign numbers that don't work properly like good old fashioned British numbers do.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #4313 on: Friday, June 5, 2020, 15:10:16 »

So the R is 1, or nearly 1, all over the country. What will happen now? What will Boris do?

Open the beer gardens! Yay!

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #4314 on: Friday, June 5, 2020, 15:17:30 »

You could already see the "you cannot compare death rates/numbers between countries because of X, Y & Z" in the media this morning. It still does not excuse the fact that 'officially' over 40.000 people have died and they certainly should not continue to hide behind such pathetic excuses.

I come from a land down-under
STFC_Manc

Ignore
« Reply #4315 on: Friday, June 5, 2020, 15:24:16 »

Maybe it's a timing thing, as I can see it as the main story now?
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #4316 on: Friday, June 5, 2020, 15:29:02 »

Maybe I’m on a European version but still tucked away.

The other thing I find odd is the putting British in front of things. Like “good British common sense” never noticed it when I lived in England . Thank god eh we haven’t got bad Norwegian common sense!

I think it’s striking how many times this gets used. Now I’ve mentioned it bet you notice
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4317 on: Friday, June 5, 2020, 15:31:11 »

Can someone smarter than me explain how the R going up correlates with the infection number going down?

It's been answered. But I want to answer it again while avoiding doing work.

R=1 means we stay as we are. Each Covid positive person infects 1 other person.
R < 1 means cases will decrease
R > 1 means cases will increase

So fluctuating between 0.x and 1 will not increase the number of cases over time. R can breach 1 in a couple of areas but cases overall in the UK can still go down.

I think early on R was reported between 3 and 4. Scary shit that, if the mortality rate stayed at 10%
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4318 on: Friday, June 5, 2020, 15:32:46 »

Will someone ever in Govt come close to saying that perhaps we haven't done too well/could do better instead of congratulating themselves all the time on their crap "achievements".  Honesty would be welcome but unfortunately I think the majority have become inured to the bullshit so they carry on feeding us shit.

Why would they bother, plenty of people out there fully prepared to absolve them of any blame.
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #4319 on: Friday, June 5, 2020, 15:35:26 »

It's because hideous amounts of deaths in the same place unfortunately become less newsworthy. It's the same for wars, civil unrest, insurrection etc.

There's also that certain milestones draw more attention, 10,000 seems to be one of them. I'm sure we'll get more reporting when we hit 50,000 and 100,000 unfortunately.

Shh, you're not allowed to compare with other countries because other countries do counting in foreign numbers that don't work properly like good old fashioned British numbers do.

You do realise there is a middle ground, don't you? The government can have failed terribly and the figures cannot tell the true picture at the same time.
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 287 [288] 289 290 291 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: