Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Winter Cricket Thread 2013/14 - The Ashes Down Under  (Read 107104 times)
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #480 on: Friday, January 31, 2014, 10:41:14 »

I see it's going well again today.   Roll Eyes
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #481 on: Friday, January 31, 2014, 12:05:43 »

I see it's going well again today.   Roll Eyes

Possibly the most one sided 20-20 international ever?  The last match can't come soon enough, and then the debacle that ECB released on the game can be forgotten about for a bit.  Roll on mid April when the thwack of leather on willow, can start to be heard in field and park, the length and breadth of England's fair land....unless it's snowing/hailing/pissing down with rain, blowing a gale  Bad Mood
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #482 on: Friday, January 31, 2014, 12:47:33 »

Possibly the most one sided 20-20 international ever?  The last match can't come soon enough, and then the debacle that ECB released on the game can be forgotten about for a bit.  Roll on mid April when the thwack of leather on willow, can start to be heard in field and park, the length and breadth of England's fair land....unless it's snowing/hailing/pissing down with rain, blowing a gale  Bad Mood
I think that there have been an awful lot of one sided matches. This one just comes off the back of a season of poor performances by England.

I just don't understand England selection policies. They seem to choose people and stick with them too long.

Dernbach for example seems to offer nothing for me. He blazed onto the scene 3 or 4 years ago with a variety of slower deliveries. He was really effective until people sussed him. Now he just gets carted and gets gobby.

Tredwell is another. The Aussies are big spin whackers. So, it doesn't really matter which spinner you put in (unless we have someone as talented as Warne waiting in the wings - which we dont), they are going to get pummelled.

So, dibbly-doblers who can cart the ball seems to be the order of the day. Why didn't Wright bowl?

Why is Root in the team? He's an authodox batsman. Tests - yes. One dayers- yes. But you don't need one of those in T20. Bopara and Morgan can play that role if necessary.

Oh well. One more to watch then we can get back to the rainl, wind, snow & hail as you say.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
DMR

« Reply #483 on: Friday, January 31, 2014, 13:06:41 »

I can umderstand the panning Dernbach gets but Bresnan doesnt swing it these days and is equally ineffective.

As for James cunting Tredwell. A spinner who doesn't spin it. Great.
kerry red

« Reply #484 on: Friday, January 31, 2014, 13:10:53 »

Flower given das boot
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #485 on: Friday, January 31, 2014, 13:11:00 »

I can umderstand the panning Dernbach gets but Bresnan doesnt swing it these days and is equally ineffective.

As for James cunting Tredwell. A spinner who doesn't spin it. Great.

Up until these last couple of series, Tredwell's record was very good, so I've no problems with him being picked, it's just that the Aussies have now targeted him and he's been found wanting.  We've taken Rayner on the A tour, no idea how he's going.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #486 on: Friday, January 31, 2014, 13:14:02 »

Flower given das boot

Yet may stay with ECB in some some capacity
kerry red

« Reply #487 on: Friday, January 31, 2014, 13:14:54 »

KP's bum chum?
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #488 on: Friday, January 31, 2014, 13:18:48 »

Think it has something to do with today's figures maybe.

Dernbach 3 overs 0-42
Bres 3 overs 1-11.

Bit of a difference I'd say. Not sure you can do much better from 3 20Twenty overs to be honest.
« Last Edit: Friday, January 31, 2014, 13:21:12 by Paolo69 » Logged
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #489 on: Friday, January 31, 2014, 16:50:32 »

Sad to see Flower go.  He has done a terrific job and when a coach leaves what he achieved often goes unmentioned but he presided over 3 Ashes series wins, a win in India for the first time god knows how many years, and a 20/20 world cup.

With regards to the new coach it is interesting it has been mentioned they would like one coach for all formats which suggests Ashley Giles will be given first chance.  Other names in frame could include Stephen Fleming, Gary Kirsten (Highly unlikely), Jason Gillespie and other who don't come to mind right now.

Irrespective of Flower going I still think this will spell the end of KP, in the test team at least. After the summer tests v Sri Lanka and India, England don't play another test until April 2015 by which time KP and his creaking knee will be 35.  The next IPL auction is in March so by then KP will know what is what and we will know from the value is put against him.

The only good thing from today is surely we have seen the end of Jade Dernbach's career in an England shirt. The figures were rubbish but that can happen in 20/20 but the gobbing off was ridiculous.
DMR

« Reply #490 on: Friday, January 31, 2014, 16:53:15 »

I suspect the opposite, FCB.

Flower demanded the removal of our best player - naturally that's fucking ludicrous - I reckon that probably helped speed up Flower's departure. He issued an ultimatum and the powers that be called his bluff. Maybe.

Long live KP.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #491 on: Friday, January 31, 2014, 17:26:13 »

The coming summer is going to be massive on the domestic front.....the ECB have binned the 40 over comp, in favour of the 50 over game, having previously binned 50 because no-one watches it anymore. They've also shunted 20-20 to Friday nights, given it a stupid name and will play it throughout the summer.

The ECB must hope this works and so must Sky, because I don't suppose an embarrassing Ashes defeat does much for their viewing figures.

The coming Test series could be wonderful...the Indians have some marvellous young batsmen, but are no more than steady in seam bowling, with as ever some decent spinners available. The best thing about India is that they play with great joy and in the spirit of the game....something sadly lacking this winter.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #492 on: Friday, January 31, 2014, 18:31:47 »

So it appears that the ECB have decided a player is more important than the coach.

I guess the question then has to be how many of the current squad were on the coaches side, I fear a Leeds Mafia style dressing room split will continue for some time yet.

fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #493 on: Friday, January 31, 2014, 19:06:21 »

Great points Reg especially regarding the new 20/20 competition.

I'd look at the competition they have in Aus. I'd move from counties to a city based system. This won't happen but I'd look to move it to a terrestrial channel BBC3 maybe with a guaranteed prime time slot. Finally rather than spreading over a whole summer in needs a dedicated 3 or 4 week slot which would make it easier to attract overseas players than the current format.
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #494 on: Sunday, February 2, 2014, 10:45:37 »

Reluctant though I am to resurrect this depressing thread, Jade (stupid name for a man anyway) Dernbach should never ever put on an England shirt again.

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36   Go Up
Print
Jump to: