Pages: 1 ... 383 384 385 [386] 387 388 389 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1211133 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #5775 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 11:57:41 »

Just popped into the newsagents near my work (wearing a mask, of course). Three people already in the shop when I walked in without masks. Another five or six walked in while I was queuing, not a single mask between them. Sigh

This is the most annoying thing for me - yes, a mask is not a 100% guarantee and it is more to protect others than yourself, but you don't have to be an epidemiologist to think that if everyone wore  one it would have as much, if not more benefit than 70% of a population getting a vaccine.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #5776 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 12:00:39 »

Interesting that the rate of growth in infections is slowing (albeit slowly)

Things get better but they never get good
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #5777 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 12:06:39 »

Interesting that the rate of growth in infections is slowing (albeit slowly)

The cynic in me wonders is that because people have been struggling to get tested for the last couple of weeks.
« Last Edit: Friday, September 25, 2020, 12:10:59 by horlock07 » Logged
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #5778 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 12:10:48 »

Nah, this was the ons survey, about 10k a day. Was 6k a day the week prior, and 3k a day the week prior to the that (I can’t find the actual numbers now)

Hunk

« Reply #5779 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 12:11:30 »

This is the most annoying thing for me - yes, a mask is not a 100% guarantee and it is more to protect others than yourself, but you don't have to be an epidemiologist to think that if everyone wore  one it would have as much, if not more benefit than 70% of a population getting a vaccine.

I just don't understand the problem with wearing them. At. All. I've got a big ol' beard and wearing a mask is itchy as hell, boo fucking hoo. Still wear it because a bit of an itchy chin is no price to pay if wearing it has even the slightest chance of protecting me or others.

In fairness though, the vast, vast majority of shoppers in normal sized supermarkets seem to be wearing them. But surely its even more important to wear them in the small venues than the bigger ones. I struggle to understand how some people can act so selfishly
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5780 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 12:13:36 »

Nah, this was the ons survey, about 10k a day. Was 6k a day the week prior, and 3k a day the week prior to the that (I can’t find the actual numbers now)
Here you go

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/englandwalesandnorthernireland25september2020
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #5781 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 12:14:25 »

Also shows a huge disparity among regions, which will be why a nationwide lockdown shouldn’t be on the cards right now imo

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #5782 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 12:22:21 »

I just don't understand the problem with wearing them. At. All. I've got a big ol' beard and wearing a mask is itchy as hell, boo fucking hoo. Still wear it because a bit of an itchy chin is no price to pay if wearing it has even the slightest chance of protecting me or others.

In fairness though, the vast, vast majority of shoppers in normal sized supermarkets seem to be wearing them. But surely its even more important to wear them in the small venues than the bigger ones. I struggle to understand how some people can act so selfishly

In 1918 during the first wave of the Spanish Flu that hit San Fransisco, they enforced mask wearing (you know, one of those things things that we've never done before).  The city largely avoided being hit as a result of that and other efforts.  I'm using it as a good and bad example - it worked so well that when the next wave started hitting they simply did mask wearing and forgot about all the other restrictions they had used, believing the masks were completely effective.

We know they are not 100% effective, hence why some get so uppity about it, but it's the combination of several mitigation efforts that keep a virus or flu at bay.

I'll go back to other comparisons - would you be OK with people with Leprosy mingling with you in a pub?  I'd wager most people would not and would give them a wide berth.  The mask is worn because many people who carry the virus can't know if they have it or not.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #5783 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 12:31:41 »

Also shows a huge disparity among regions, which will be why a nationwide lockdown shouldn’t be on the cards right now imo

Its odd because on this page people are (rightly) moaning about people not wearing masks, yet round here form my experience its being almost 100% adhered to, yet our infections are going up, I blame Barrow!
Flashheart

« Reply #5784 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 12:34:47 »

Drink driving laws are not 100% effective either. Maybe we should just do away with those?
Hunk

« Reply #5785 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 12:40:47 »

Its odd because on this page people are (rightly) moaning about people not wearing masks, yet round here form my experience its being almost 100% adhered to, yet our infections are going up, I blame Barrow!

Even the little, corner type shops?

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #5786 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 12:50:01 »

Even the little, corner type shops?

Seems to be yeah, but then again we are a fairly small village with only 4-5 shops.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5787 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 13:21:50 »

TBF everywhere I've been in Swindon, people are 99% of the time wearing masks. Only see the odd one who's not (and they may have had good reason not to). That's on the back of only really going to bigger shops and probably only a couple of times a week, so maybe I'm not a representative sample.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5788 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 14:07:33 »

Seems to be yeah, but then again we are a fairly small village with only 4-5 shops.

A local shop for local people?  Smiley
bathford

Ignore
« Reply #5789 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 15:33:01 »

Just popped into the newsagents near my work (wearing a mask, of course). Three people already in the shop when I walked in without masks. Another five or six walked in while I was queuing, not a single mask between them. Sigh

Name and shame the shop on here and one of us can drop them in it. 🙂🙂
Pages: 1 ... 383 384 385 [386] 387 388 389 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: