Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Canal through the town centre  (Read 8355 times)
flammableBen

« Reply #90 on: Sunday, January 27, 2008, 23:23:45 »

Swindon might have been a good venue once. Now it's a town of subburbs. Who the fuck would want to play here, especially when you've got Oxford close, Brizzle to the west and Reading to the East?
Noel Gallagher

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Sunday, January 27, 2008, 23:25:49 »

All I'm saying is that places liek Milton Keynes are pretty much the stature as here and it's a shame we don't do more. oh well

English By Birth. Mancunian By The Grace Of My dad's spunk.

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Sunday, January 27, 2008, 23:28:08 »

yeah top bands and artists are really bothered where they play. :-))(
as long as the money rolls in they dont give a fuck.
Noel Gallagher

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Sunday, January 27, 2008, 23:33:04 »

The Kings of Leon used to love playing here just a shame that they have never had a bigger venue than the Oasis to play at.

As for people saying there is no such venue due to lack of demand and band culture in Swindon isn't it up to the Town to try and create one, By putting on more bands and building bigger and better venues. In my opinion the very reason why the town seems to be full of wrist slashing emo's and hip hop loving morons is for that very reason lack of venues lack of ambition form the Swindon authorities etc.

flammableBen

« Reply #94 on: Sunday, January 27, 2008, 23:35:33 »

I'm saying that the up and coming indie bands; and the classic touring ones; would be more likely to play in Swindon if there was a uni.

When I was at Exeter there was only the uni hall, but we still got the likes of Mr Scruff, Ocean Colour Scene, Athlete, The Doves, etc.

Infact they had an ace little underground cavern rip off, which radiohead and snow patrol had played before they'd got famous.

Swindon needs a University before it can attract bands.

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Sunday, January 27, 2008, 23:37:39 »

maybe up and coming bands ben.but established top acts it doesn't.
Noel Gallagher

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Sunday, January 27, 2008, 23:41:01 »

If Oasis can play Milton Keynes which in all honesty is a shithole given the right money I'm sure they'd play here, but the problem is we have knowere fucking big enough to hold a band of that stature thats whats holding us back in my opinion. After all they owe us a dect for the name n' all

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Sunday, January 27, 2008, 23:42:55 »

thats why we need a bigger and better venue here noel
flammableBen

« Reply #98 on: Sunday, January 27, 2008, 23:43:27 »

Quote from: "arriba"

Maybe, but Swindon is going to struggle to get established acts with Bristol, Oxford and Reading so close.

We could build a venue with the hope that they'll turn up.  (Build it and they will come)

But I doubt it. You have to build up a venue. and the best way of doing that is having decent local bands. and no offense to rich and thorne. but a university is the best way of doing it.
Noel Gallagher

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Sunday, January 27, 2008, 23:46:25 »

thats why we need a bigger and better venue here noel

Yep and I agree.

Now I don't know if this is true but I have a freind who works for the Oasis leisure centre and he reckons that because of it's history with him Noel Gallagher was thinking of taking his acoustic set here last year. He apparantly had the managemetn at Oasis come and have a look around and it was decided it was not large enough. I'm sure his would have happend before but with me taking an interest in Oasis this is the one I know of.

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Sunday, January 27, 2008, 23:49:40 »

Quote from: flammableBen

Maybe, but Swindon is going to struggle to get established acts with Bristol, Oxford and Reading so close.

We could build a venue with the hope that they'll turn up.  (Build it and they will come)

But I doubt it. You have to build up a venue. and the best way of doing that is having decent local bands. and no offense to rich and thorne. but a university is the best way of doing it.[/quote

i disagree ben.if the venue is good enough, and big enough then i reckon it could get the nod over other venues.or at least be added to the tour dates.
i do think it will happen one day but i aint holding my breath
flammableBen

« Reply #101 on: Sunday, January 27, 2008, 23:57:42 »

i disagree ben.if the venue is good enough, and big enough then i reckon it could get the nod over other venues.or at least be added to the tour dates.
i do think it will happen one day but i aint holding my breath

I spent my student days in Exeter, they had a half decent student hall. But a lot of the bands went  Bristol -> Plymouth.

I might be judging Swindon on saying the same thing would happen, but I don't think we've got anything to offer for the bigger bands than we have already. Past Razor Light and Kings of Leon playing the Oasis what do you really expect?

We could do with more up and coming bands, and that's why we need more places like the 12bar and the vic. They do pretty well at getting some decent bands in.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, apart from maybe the Furnace sorting itself out as a venue, and people supporting other smaller venues. How many of you chill out to some live music at the Beehive every Sunday? Or when the Summer hits and they do live music at the bowl?

The town garden's Bowl is a fucking venue and a half. It's stupidly good.

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Monday, January 28, 2008, 00:05:39 »

ben, in newspapers all the time there are concert tours,comedians,other acts listed.these are in towns smaller or on a par with us.
i'm sure with the right venue created we'd be on that list too.
people need to forget the uni scene,up and coming bands etc as its a different issue imo.
but take the oasis as a marker.it sells out with fairly decent acts regularly.with a better venue maybe swindon could step up with the acts on show?
flammableBen

« Reply #103 on: Monday, January 28, 2008, 00:19:31 »

My basic point is that Swindon could sustain a few average sized venues if it had a University. Without it I don't think it can.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Monday, January 28, 2008, 08:52:28 »

Quote from: "Noel Gallagher"
Well since moving we already have 3 potential gigs lined up just acoustic sets but better than nothing, in a local called the Halfmoon just a normal pub but they have a great little venue within it and attract some half decent bands there. Isn't anywhere really like that in Swindon people will say the Vic or 12Bar, but it's just not the same i've heard bands who have played there and have been told not to play their own material jsut about somes the situation up in my opinion.

I lived in Putney until 18 months ago - but never lived out my fantasy of bumping in to Sam Parkin on a night out.  (I think he still lives in the area.  Barnes?)

The Half Moon is a fantastic venue.  Happy days.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: