Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 ... 60   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The 'Summer' of Cricket thread 2013  (Read 139035 times)
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 18:09:18 »

Let's play a game.  We're currently 232 ahead.  What lead would we need, in your view, to have

(a) a 50% chance of winning; and
(b) a 75% chance of winning.

I'll start.

(a) 250 runs
(b) 320 runs

Think England are 80% if they don't get another run.

As Bell and Broad have proved you can stay in but scoring unless the ball is really short or really full is tough. Also expect Swann/Anderson to find that bit more out the pitch ...
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 18:10:53 »

Would like to see walking but accept in hindsight that its not common now- Sky just shown one of Clarke hitting it into his thigh guard, being caught and not walking from the last series so what goes around comes around.

At the end of the day the Aussies had two reviews to use on 'poor' umpire decisions...and they've used both up.

As you mentioned, the Clarke incident when Pietersen got him out in the last series, when England had to review the incident to get him out despite him hitting it off the face off the bat onto his thigh guard.

And anyway, aren't we due a bit of luck considering the Agar and Trott incidents yesterday.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 18:26:27 »

Glenn McGrath talks sense (for once)...

Former Australia fast bowler Glenn McGrath, BBC Test Match Special
"DRS was brought in to correct obviously wrong decisions and that is how captains should use it. Alastair Cook does just that, he is very sparing with it, and hopefully Michael Clarke does the same after this."

BAZINGA !!

jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 18:31:01 »

The Aussies wrote the book on not walking and saying it's the umpires call.

Can't feel any sympathy for them, Broad did the right thing.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 18:34:06 »

At the end of the day the Aussies had two reviews to use on 'poor' umpire decisions...and they've used both up.

Quite right. You waste your reviews on stupid appeals then you can't moan when a fucking stupid decision costs you a wicket. Those appeals are supposed to prevent howlingly bad decisions. Piss them away on nothing and you've only got yourself to blame.

I have to agree with DMR. I think the jobs done. Whatever they put on tomorrow morning will be insurance. It's set to be even hotter tomorrow, so I'm hoping the pitch will bake a bit more, get dustier, slower, more uneven and more difficult to score on, and then break up a bit to give Swann something to play with.

If the kid at number 11 tries to play the sort of innings he did in the first I think he'll find he has a bit of a different experience.

..never go back.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 18:36:25 »

Re. the Agar incident yesterday, apparently Aleem Dar was watching the incident on the big screen, and so certain that Agar was out, he gave Swann his cap back as he thought it was the end of the innings.

BAZINGA !!

leefer

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 18:43:48 »

This test reminds me of the many games over many years when England were the big underdogs,and we got a good sniff of winning and before you know it that sniffle is wiped out.

England strong favourites now.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 18:50:43 »

I've always had a soft spot for Ian Bell. He's a lovely batsman to watch, but he's the England player that has got me into more arguments than any other.

He disappoints so often that when he walks to the crease I'm almost holding my breath willing him to do well. Thank fuck he's managed to hold his concentration today.

And fuck me I've just seen the Broad "catch" on the highlights. That is fucking funny! I think Clarke might have a stroke.

..never go back.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 19:00:41 »

And fuck me I've just seen the Broad "catch" on the highlights. That is fucking funny! I think Clarke might have a stroke.

Clarke 'walking' after hitting the ball...Adelaide 2010

BAZINGA !!

RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 19:51:19 »

I've always had a soft spot for Ian Bell. He's a lovely batsman to watch, but he's the England player that has got me into more arguments than any other.

He disappoints so often that when he walks to the crease I'm almost holding my breath willing him to do well. Thank fuck he's managed to hold his concentration today.

I'm with you there - for me one of the most stylish batsmen to watch.  You can always rely on him to produce an innings just in time not to be dropped.  It would be good if he did it a bit more frequently but the wait is worth it.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 20:09:22 »

Good day for England, I think if we can bat the morning session we'll go a fair way to batting Australia out of the game! Hopefully Ian Bell can complete the ton and Broady can go on to 50 and hang around for a bit. 320 lead would be great IMO!

FWIW if I was Broady I wouldn't have walked and I don't walk when I play; Umpires job to give you out!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 20:53:34 »

Good day for England, I think if we can bat the morning session we'll go a fair way to batting Australia out of the game! Hopefully Ian Bell can complete the ton and Broady can go on to 50 and hang around for a bit. 320 lead would be great IMO!

FWIW if I was Broady I wouldn't have walked and I don't walk when I play; Umpires job to give you out!
Agree with the 320 point.

Totally disagree with not walking. No matter how you look at it, he cheated. No different to Maradonna's 'Hand of God' imho

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 21:21:32 »

Agree with the 320 point.

Totally disagree with not walking. No matter how you look at it, he cheated. No different to Maradonna's 'Hand of God' imho

But they won the world cup and no one outside of England gave a fuck.

chalkies_shorts

« Reply #373 on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 21:22:55 »

But they won the world cup and no one outside of England gave a fuck.

The Jocks did
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 21:25:00 »

I don't much like cricket, let alone understand it properly, but I still want us to batter the Aussies.

For that reason the principles of fair play should be abandoned, let the umpires do the umpiring. It may not be cricket, but stuff it!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 ... 60   Go Up
Print
Jump to: