Pages: 1 ... 461 462 463 [464] 465 466 467 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2046631 times)
Sir red ken

« Reply #6945 on: Wednesday, September 4, 2019, 17:47:35 »

I'm definitely in the want a second vote camp. The options need to be clear and all options ready to go after any result

Yeah, leave with no deal or leave with a 2/3 year deal. We've already had the leave or remain vote in 2016.
Anything else would just be those who didn't like the result last time trying to ensure they get their own way.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #6946 on: Wednesday, September 4, 2019, 18:37:01 »

Or it would be worthwhile because people having some sort of clue what they are voting for this time.

The word “backstop” was barely if ever mentioned first time around, we got figures plucked out of the air that could be spent on the NHS.  People are more clued up now on both sides of the argument

Ignore
« Reply #6947 on: Wednesday, September 4, 2019, 19:29:34 »

Kenneth Clarke just handed it to Boris. Fucking brilliant Clap
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6948 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 07:53:38 »

Fair play to Johnson, though, he has achieved at least something that his predecessor wasn't capable of. He's managed to make Teresa May look strong and stable. And eloquent.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6949 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 08:39:48 »

From the dutch papers this AM...

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #6950 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 08:49:59 »

There was a similar report floating around the Independent (I think) last night but can't now find it. Maybe it was the FT?

T'was the FT, see https://www.ft.com/content/36a01cd8-ceed-11e9-99a4-b5ded7a7fe3f
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #6951 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 08:57:52 »

The problem with this country is if the other lot were in power it wouldn't be any different.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6952 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 09:04:14 »

The problem with this country is if the other lot were in power it wouldn't be any different.
It would be very different. It might not be any better (and so I tend to agree with your point in that respect) but it would certainly be different
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #6953 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 09:08:34 »

In the short term in simple analysis...

Due to their policy position, one lot are stockpiling bodybags and noting that despite our policy 'There will be enough food for everyone'.

The other lot are not!

Ignore
« Reply #6954 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 09:12:30 »

Well I totally disagree with it. The last Labour government proved that. Public services, schools, NHS prime examples. Look at the state of them now after 9 years of Tory destruction.

The "they're all as bad as each other" line is often trotted out. It's simply not true. Some are far worse than others.
Boris, one of the biggest scumbags of them all got it handed to him yesterday from all sides. How much of a cunt he and his cabinet are was highlighted very well.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #6955 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 09:14:56 »

Well I totally disagree with it. The last Labour government proved that. Public services, schools, NHS prime examples. Look at the state of them now after 9 years of Tory destruction.

The "they're all as bad as each other" line is often trotted out. It's simply not true. Some are far worse than others.
Boris, one of the biggest scumbags of them all got it handed to him yesterday from all sides. How much of a cunt he and his cabinet are was highlighted very well.
FWIW I agree with you on that.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #6956 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 10:16:32 »

I can't see the vast difference or say I noticed anything much different between governments since the early 90s. Go back even further and I remember the 70s being pretty depressing, who was in charge then?  Hmmm
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #6957 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 10:16:45 »

And yet he's comfortably ahead in the polls...supported by a swathe of the electorate for whom leaving the EU is everything, and everything else is nothing.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6958 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 10:26:22 »

Jo Johnson (Boris' brother) quits as Tory MP.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6959 on: Thursday, September 5, 2019, 10:28:07 »

I can't see the vast difference or say I noticed anything much different between governments since the early 90s.
There wasn't that much difference between the governments in the 90s and early 2000s because "New Labour" adopted much of Thatcherism's economic agenda and Blair shifted Labour into the centre. That was followed by a fairly centrist coalition between the Tories and Lib Dems so there really wasn't much difference between them and the previous Blair govt. But the Tories have now shifted dramatically to the right and Labour equally dramatically to the left. There's a gaping chasm between the Tories' stance on, say, further privatisation of the public sector, just look at the stripping away of the NHS under "Not on my watch" Matt Hancock, vs Labour wanting to renationalise utilities. In international affairs, the Tories are following Trump's isolationist stance while Labour is still fairly internationalist (the exception to that being Corbyn's historic antipathy to NATO, but that doesn't seem to be party policy). That's just a couple of simple examples. If you can't tell the difference between the parties currently, you need to change where you get your news from.

And that gap is likely to get wider as Johnson (well, Cummings really) seems set on reinventing the Tories as an English Nationalist party
Pages: 1 ... 461 462 463 [464] 465 466 467 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: