Pages: 1 ... 175 176 177 [178] 179 180 181 ... 560   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Managerial Merry-go-round 2021-2022; sack, shuffle, repeat  (Read 1995114 times)
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #2655 on: Friday, February 13, 2015, 11:29:11 »

Cooper wasn't exactly a popular choice, us armchair managers tend to be wrong quite a lot
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #2656 on: Friday, February 13, 2015, 12:08:54 »

Cooper Gary Johnson to Cheltenham Smiley

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
kerry red

« Reply #2657 on: Friday, February 13, 2015, 12:13:21 »

AP McCoy to Cheltenham
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #2658 on: Friday, February 13, 2015, 12:24:19 »

I always thought Lou did OK for the Potters...

Yep. Lou is loved in the Stokie part of the Potteries.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #2659 on: Friday, February 13, 2015, 12:38:01 »

Yep. Lou is loved in the Stokie part of the Potteries.
Must be my memory then I always throught they weren't keen on him, not anywhere near as bad as they are with Mick Mills but just a middle of the road manager for them.

I know he had one good season with them but thought that was it.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #2660 on: Friday, February 13, 2015, 12:44:23 »

Must be my memory then I always throught they weren't keen on him, not anywhere near as bad as they are with Mick Mills but just a middle of the road manager for them.

From watching the film 'Marvellous' it seemed like he was doing quite well at Stoke, but he lure of leaving for Celtic was just too much for him.

Edit. Looking at Wiki, suggests that it was a fairly mixed bag at Stoke and I think the second time he left, left a bit of a sour taste in the mouth.

He still lives in Stoke-on-trent mind you.
« Last Edit: Friday, February 13, 2015, 12:48:44 by Bob's Orange » Logged

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2661 on: Friday, February 13, 2015, 12:47:36 »

2 spells

P 266 W110 D77 L79
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #2662 on: Friday, February 13, 2015, 14:07:43 »

He brought success pretty much immediately after a period of failure at the club. He also brought in players that were and still are very well regarded by Stoke fans, eg Stigger Foley and Mark Stein.

I think it is more than just the on-pitch stuff. Two of his sons were at the club too, and one son committed suicide in a local park, and has been posted, he still lives in the area.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #2663 on: Friday, February 13, 2015, 22:23:57 »

They did indeed but some managers just fit clubs and visa versa, he was obviously not a good fit for them.

Look at Macari, he was great with us and shit at Stoke and West Ham, Gary Johnson was great (1st time round) at Yeovil but appalling at Northampton.

Macari wasn't at West Ham long but made some great signings. Ludek Miklosko, Julian Dicks, Trevor Morley and Jimmy Quinn. When he left because of what was coming out at Swindon they were an outside shot of the play offs. His signings helped them to promotion the year after. The majority of clubs he managed were in a better position when he left them.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #2664 on: Saturday, February 14, 2015, 07:53:26 »

Macari wasn't at West Ham long but made some great signings. Ludek Miklosko, Julian Dicks, Trevor Morley and Jimmy Quinn. When he left because of what was coming out at Swindon they were an outside shot of the play offs. His signings helped them to promotion the year after. The majority of clubs he managed were in a better position when he left them.
I am not slating Macari at all, he is still my favourite Swindon manager of all time. I was just saying that he didn't do as well at some clubs as he did with us as he was a perfect fit for STFC at the time.

THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #2665 on: Saturday, February 14, 2015, 07:59:29 »

The slippery slope of player power was well oiled by then, never going to help successful managers at lower league level who emphasise on discipline stepping up. PDC etc etc, all fall down.

Those days under Macari were great.

Clems Army!
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #2666 on: Saturday, February 14, 2015, 11:56:28 »

Those days under Macari were great.

Loved those days.
Nothing on the football we play these days but kept going until the final whistle and an attack was like a cavalry charge.
Cracking atmosphere too
lambourn red

« Reply #2667 on: Saturday, February 14, 2015, 14:29:54 »

Sherwood named Villa boss
Flashheart

« Reply #2668 on: Saturday, February 14, 2015, 14:31:57 »

What's their youth set-up like?
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #2669 on: Saturday, February 14, 2015, 14:34:30 »

Could see Luongo heading there.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 177 [178] 179 180 181 ... 560   Go Up
Print
Jump to: