Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Sheffield United Official Matchday Thread  (Read 61613 times)
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 15:46:54 »

No haka please, keep robin for the kids around the ground as they love it (my little cousin was laughing her head off with him last week). No goal music, atmosphere after scoring evaporates because of it.

Being under 25 don't really get the hooter thing but if it's part of Swindon's history then I'm all for it
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 16:02:11 »

Blimey what a grumpy lot you are!

Love "Glad All Over" as does the majority of the DRS it seems as well. We do have some infinity with this tune as well as used it ion the mid 60s.

Not bothered about Rockin Robin or the PA systems it is nice to be able to hear it for a change which we have not in the DRS for many years.
Wilf Shergold

« Reply #242 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 16:47:26 »

You'll probably remember the days of military marching bands and Farmer's Boy.

Sadly, yes. And the bloke who used to play Post Horn Gallup whenever it was a big match, Christmas etc. Used to look like his cheeks were about to explode.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 17:06:41 »

Getting rid of the goal music is the absolute number 1 thing that needs to happen, the fact it is 'glad all over' is even worse. The horn is a much better idea.

Don't care about robin, he's for the kids.

Prematch music for 17-34 year olds makes no sense when they're all the pub and it's only kids and OAPs in the ground at 2pm.
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 17:19:25 »

Also the "hooter" idea is just daft. The majority will not remember it and for those that do will only associate it with getting back to work! I don't see how it can be related to any kind of celebration.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 17:22:27 »

Hi all, grab a coffee…it’s a long one!

I hop on this forum now and again just to get a fans perspective on things at the club,

I’m Shaun , the 2nd match day announcer at the club and have been for almost 10 seasons. I just wanted to give some input into a few things that have come up on the forum and hopefully answer any questions and hopefully have some positive stuff to take back to the club for match days.

Please take note that I am in no way employed by STFC so any views etc.: is not that of an official nature from the club.

Firstly, lets head back to the start of the season with two issues, which came up on another thread.

Scoreboard…Yes, we were without the scoreboard at the start of the season as I understand it took some time to have a custom part made and shipped in time.

The fault was found back end of last season and this was quickly put in motion. I understand that the club had to wait for an overseas supplier to sort this and that was where the hold up was.
The club (despite other more pressing issues during the summer) did all they could and although we missed a few games without it – the club did get it sorted. One job fixed.

PA system. Its no big secret that the stadium PA system has not been great for years and although many owners have tried fixing things, there was never a long term plan. Towards the end of last season, the “newer system” installed when the DR was built in the 90’s gradually began to deteriorate.

I began discussions with the club who had (through previous management) had quotes to replace various speakers around the stadium. Without going into too much detail the current design / layout of how the system works is complex. Its not a case of a couple of cables connected to some amps and speakers.

Through my work, I contacted EV audio,  that met with the club and I during the summer and we looked at bringing EV on board to provide all the new amps and speakers and some clever boxes and bits to get the DR up and running again.

We also looked at other long-term options as well.

The important thing was to have a manufacturer on board who had some excellent quality equipment, would dedicate their time and effort into the project and also, more importantly, would supply all the kit at cost thus saving the club a great deal of money.  Needless to say the wheels were in motion.  I gave up many many hours to help with the project, which included the install of the new kit.

A local paper then detailed a very interesting front page with all sorts of speculation and rumours regarding the PA, however the refurb process had already started so for me personally, it was a non-story.

(For those that are remotely interested, the replacement speakers in the DR were to be made in Germany and had to adhere to both BS / FL and IP standards. This would take a few days.)

In summary, the project was done within the time scale and deadline given. The DR has a new front of house PA system, with a long term plan and view to gradually update additional speakers in the concourse areas and TE / Arkells. 

The other positive was that there was no major cost to the club meaning the money saved can be used in other areas – you get my drift…!

Steve Anderson and the chairman worked really hard on the project. One thing I have learnt from these guys is that when they say they will do something, they really do. Personally, I have not had that many dealing with Steve or Lee, but they are 100% genuine, passionate people, and men of their words. Scoreboard, sorted, PA in DR, sorted…. etc.:

I have had some feedback that it’s a tad loud and we are making some tweaks on the system to ensure an excellent overall volume.

Moving onto match days…

Pre match music.

I know this will open a can of worms as music is very selective to opinion!

The music pre 3pm is a mixture of popular music that you would be hearing on the radio, targeted at 17-34.

A few oldie tracks are thrown in as well and this is the same formula for many clubs up and down the country. It’s not to everyone’s liking and not the easiest thing to programe when we have such a diverse age range at the club. 

On the whole, the feedback is usually positive, although some younger fans want drum and bass, some older fans want more 70’s and 80’s music.
We will never please every single fan and like I say, it’s the same formula at other clubs.
Where this isn’t the case, fans are in the stadium way before 2.30pm and sing – and the PA being at a very low level.

Nothing is set in stone, so I invite any constructive comments  / requests and thoughts about the music and take this to the club. ☺

Walk out music.

That old chestnut.! I understand and if memory serves right - that many years ago, Fanfare for the common man (ELP) was used for the player’s entrance.
At some point, this was then replaced by somebody at the club to UB40. Feedback during last season was a 50/50 split, that some fans wanted ELP and 50% wanted UB40.
From that feedback, we do both to try and keep everyone happy. I read the comments regarding introducing the old railway hooter and then playing ELP, which sounds great – if everyone wants that. I have original recording of the railway hooter and will gladly dig it out and use it on match days.

Let me know your thoughts and I can sort this.

3) Goal music – personally (yes, that’s my own personal opinion) it doesn’t work for me;
This was introduced a few years back as it worked at other clubs. Previous management told me that the club had some sort of connection in the 60’s with Glad all over – hence that being used.

I also remember that a few years ago, certain players had specific music for when they scored. No reason why this can’t happen so I again invite your feedback and ill take this to the club.

Some of you will be aware that on match days, there are two of us. I deal with housekeeping on pitch side, whilst Stuart (who is a long-term passionate town fan) sits at the back of the Arkells and deals with the sound desk and team news. Stuart has a 150 mile round trip and is a town fan through and through, ……Yes, he gets over excited sometimes, but that’s his passion showing through  - I have given him a nudge now and again to relax more on the mic and now the PA works in the DR that’s been taken on board.!

I’ve been called a lot of things on this forum, so sorry if I have offended or upset anyone. My comment yesterday at halftime when I said “some awesome skill in the first half” was an off the cuff comment but that’s what I thought. Yesterday was great to watch and technically impressive from the lads.

The Robin. – Love it or hate him? Whilst I have no control, I will again take comments on board and sit down with the club. Yes, not always a “grown ups” favorite but the kids love him and he usually raises a smile or two. Again, behind the scenes, the robin works hard, outside of match days in schools, hospitals etc.: in his own time. Another true town fan.

I hope that clears a few things up.

I cant change low crowds or get thousands in their seats at 2pm but if there are a few tweaks I can deliver to make the match day experience better then let me know and I will take it to the powers that be. 

I’m a fan too and want what’s best for the club and its fans.  Thanks for taking the time to read this. I am always available either in person or phone  / email or post here –

All the best   - come on you reds!

Well done You.
Top post.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 17:28:23 »

Very Interesting read, thanks for the info.
REDBUCK

« Reply #247 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 17:31:55 »

If you could get rid of the walk out, line up and shake hands nonsense that would be great also.

What's wrong with the team running out and sprinting towards the town end
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 17:33:10 »

If you could get rid of the walk out, line up and shake hands nonsense that would be great also.

You'll have to go a bit higher up the tree for that one, seeing as it's a FL requirement.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 17:39:51 »

Clearly if it has to be that, and there's no great reason why it should be....then the Andy Williams version would be more apropriate.
The UB40 version is very slow and a bit off-key for me to be a decent sound for us, something a bit more up-beat would be better, the Elvis version would be better!!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 17:45:05 »

Smiley I used to like it when the PA man, just told us in a broad Swindon accent "and now the roar, for here they come" as the players ran on and headed off to the TE.
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 18:15:19 »

The UB40 version is very slow and a bit off-key for me to be a decent sound for us, something a bit more up-beat would be better, the Elvis version would be better!!

And more expensive, paying to the Performing Rights Society. Especially if we score 5 goals every home game!
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 18:41:42 »

The Sheffield United forum is priceless reading at the moment- how can they get spanked by Swindon Town, we must spend more money bla bla bla
wigglesworth

« Reply #253 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 19:18:32 »

Why not start playing some really motivational music when we attack too. And we could pipe some booing and hissing through the speakers when the visitors get a throw in eh.

It's no big mystery why crowds are down. If you get rid of the cringeworthy fucking goal music, they will come.

It isn't the tune itself, its the fact music blares out drowning out the crowd immediately after we score. It's insulting. I know for a fact fans are staying away because of it.  Angry
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 19:26:56 »

right so crowds are down just because of the goal music? Don't buy that one I'm afraid. We have used it for 3 seasons and crowds were ok last year.

The majority of the DRS seem to love it- as someone else said getting rid would leave more people complaining.

Though quite why anyone would moan about something so trivial beats me- we could be Salisbury/Hereford fans.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: