Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Paolo Di Canio Column - BBC?!  (Read 16880 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #15 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 09:13:59 »

There's been loads of sensationalism.

Another example....... Caddis been stripped of the captaincy as front page news, what the fuck was that all about? I'm left wondering whether things may have been sorted if it wasn't for the adver whipping things up.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 09:17:48 »

Another example....... Caddis been stripped of the captaincy as front page news, what the fuck was that all about? I'm left wondering whether things may have been sorted if it wasn't for the adver whipping things up.

I don't think you've seen what normally passes for front page news in the Adver: trust me, the Caddis thing was more worthy than most.
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 09:33:37 »

In defence of Morshead, I doubt he writes the headlines or decides what goes on the front page.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 09:35:46 »

I have some sympathy with Sam Morshead.  The Caddis story, for example, probably was front page news.  STFC is the only show/institution in town that attracts the interest of 10s of 1,000s of people.  When something important or unusual happens at the club, I think it's probably right that the news shifts from the back pages to the front.

And there's a bit of a character assassination going on.  Sure enough, Gary Rose is a very tough act to follow.  And I had a lot of time for Andy Cryer before him as well...especially with his willingness (at last) to shine a light on the murky dealings of the Diamandis set up.  But Sam is doing things his way.  His twitter feed seems to indicate that he's putting in long hours - and he's innovating as well, with (for example) his Fan Jury sessions in Old Town after home games.  It's not all bad.
Flashheart

« Reply #19 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 09:40:55 »

In defence of Morshead, I doubt he writes the headlines or decides what goes on the front page.

It's a culmination of things though....

The 'front page' story, the McCormick coverage, the shit stirring comment about Benson (that seems to have sparked rumours) , other things I've forgotton. Had it been just a one off thing there would likely be no discussion but it isn't just one thing.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 10:27:09 »

I see the TEF (well, some anyway) is still in full-on shoot the messenger mood. If the club, in the shape of its manager, chooses to conduct it's business in public in the way it has over the past few weeks, it can hardly complain when the press report that. The headlines on the BBC have been every bit as "sensationalist" as the Adver and in defence of both, you don't really have to sensationalise Di Canio's interviews, they're pretty jaw-dropping all by themselves. Whether you regard that as refreshingly candid, endearingly batshit, hugely amusing or a bit embarrassing or a combination of all the above, he's going to continue to do interviews like that, and the press will continue to report them.

Whipping up a lynch mob every time that doesn't go well for us is a pretty fruitless activity. And when clubs fall out with the local media, it's rarely the media who end up looking thin-skinned and/or something to hide (Diamandis breaking with the BBC/threatening to ban the Adver; Mitchell banning the Echo at Bournemouth; Ferguson falling out with the BBC etc)

PS In regard to McCormick, it was the BBC not the Adver that broke the story and JW who first said we were taking him on trial
He’s been training with us on and off since January. He’s released from prison in June and he will be joining us in pre-season on trial to see where it goes.
http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/league_two_2011_2012/news_articles/9721156.Wray_explains_McCormick_decision/

Although he dropped that pretty quick in subsequent interviews and the "rehab" line (which was also in this interview) then became dominant. Which may well be what he meant in the first place - the "trial to see where it goes" thing may have been a slip of the tongue. But that's where it started, not with any "sensationalist" reporting
Flashheart

« Reply #21 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 10:33:52 »

And this wasn't sensationalist reporting?

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/9762987.McCormick_spotted_at_the_County_Ground/

Completely and utterly needless, this was not news. The only thing it achieved was to send social media sites into meltdown, which was no doubt the intention all along. The soul purpose of this was to whip up a frenzy and sell papers.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 10:36:03 »

Adver in reporting controversial player at club shocker. After the nationals related it.
Flashheart

« Reply #23 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 10:41:21 »

Deary me......

That was not news. It wasn't news. The McCormick story was old news by then, we all new about it already. So why report that he was at the ground? We knew he was at the ground already, so why report what we already knew? What possible reason could they have for that? It was not much worse than the sun writing a story on him having a beer somewhere. It is sensationalist reporting just like we know to expect from the Sun/Daily Mail etc.

The only motive is to whip up a frenzy and sell newspapers and considering the reaction on social media that day, the adver saw a bumper day of sales. Credit where credit is due to Sam, he's doing his job and I expect his seniors are quite happy with the results (sales)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 10:47:15 »

People getting overexcited on social media does not equal a bumper day of sales. I'm sure the Adver and most local newspapers struggling to keep their heads above water wished that it did.

The only "whipping up a frenzy" I see is you getting your knickers in a twist about Sam Morshead. Or anyone else you perceive to be "off-message".
Weasel

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 10:48:16 »

It was not much worse than the sun writing a story on him having a beer somewhere.

I believe they said he was 'downing' a cider. With ice in. With or without sensitive teeth, that's a pretty hardcore feat and well worth reporting.
Flashheart

« Reply #26 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 10:52:44 »

I'm glad to say that I am not the only one that can see what is blatantly fucking obvious.

Even the comments on the adver site outlined just how transparent the motives of the reporting is even if others are can't see it or are choosing to ignore it. And I'm not getting my knickers in a twist in the slightest. This is a discussion forum and I'm, errrm, having a discussion. Who'da thunk it?
Flashheart

« Reply #27 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 10:53:36 »

I believe they said he was 'downing' a cider. With ice in. With or without sensitive teeth, that's a pretty hardcore feat and well worth reporting.

Pear cider at that, the fucking pansy.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 10:54:51 »

Pear cider at that, the fucking pansy.

That's practically a babycham. And it wasnt even Christmas.
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 10:58:01 »

Stories like Caddis get out of towners clicking on their web pages, and help add to their unique users stats that they give to advertisers.

With the best will in the world, a story about a new community project in Penhill, for example, isn’t likely to attract online interest from out side the area.

The biggest problem for the adver, is the once symbiotic relationship between Town and local press, is weighted much more in the Clubs favour these days. Pre Internet, the local rag was a vital resource for getting info to fans, now they have a myriad of ways of talking to the support directly.

Put simply the ‘adver now needs the Club a lot more than they need them. This wasn’t traditionally the case
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: